Honored Contributor

Re: Daughter fell off of horse

@Qshopper1991 ....and I'm being singled out because why?

In the world of injuries (as a parent and a horsewoman this is almost a daily experience), when anyone says "I'm going to talk to someone about it" it means they want payback in the form of money. Isn't that what you want? Medical bills to be paid? And in our society, when people don't get what they want, they sue. 

My issue is why you would even CONSIDER asking the person for anything and my post stated that.

You have a nice day.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7

She's 16.  She's been riding there for years.  My daughter is very experienced.  They ride western and bare back.  Interesting style  Smiley Happy

Apparently the horse did a "kick start" before taking off.  In doing this, my daughter lunged forward and slid and hit the front of the saddle.  She wasn't holding on tighly at the time.  And she lost her balance and fell off the horse.

As she states, "it wasn't anyone's fault.  Frosty realized I fell off and he actually avoided stomping on me.  He quickly moved to the left as I fell to the right of him.  He was smart...I can tell he was upset I fell off of him". 

She knows the horses at this farm very well.  She cleans their stables, cleans and washes the horses, cleans their hooves...she knows what she is doing.  This was one of those flukes. 

Again, I'm just glad she's okay.

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam

All I stated was that I wanted people's opinions here after a co-worker talked to me about the situation.

Your post clearly defined the word "sue".  I never mentioned that, nor would I ever consider doing that.

If you feel "singled out", then you should choose your words more carefully before responding to a post.

You have a good day, too.

Trusted Contributor

@Marp

No...there was no increased risk to her.  The horses are well seasoned and so are their riders.  Anyone who isn't a well seasoned rider isn't allowed to ride alone on the horses.

All good questions, Marp.  I'll keep you posted on everything Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991  I didn't address YOU in any way regarding suing. I stated MY situation. You apparently need some lessons in reading comprehension. SMH.

Also, there are many posts that list the word sue and/or question why you would consider litigation. Apparently, many here took your post to mean exactly that. You state that your daughter is an experienced rider; then she and you already knew the risks. Were you hoping that people here would support you in thinking you could get the horse owner to foot your bills? The fact that your daughter is doing well is wonderful news; hopefully it won't curtail her future riding endeavors.

I'm not sure why you singled me out; but I will tell you this: I word my posts very carefully. My history shows that. Perhaps you should start doing the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Qshopper1991  I didn't address YOU in any way regarding suing. I stated MY situation. You apparently need some lessons in reading comprehension. SMH.

Also, there are many posts that list the word sue and/or question why you would consider litigation. Apparently, many here took your post to mean exactly that. You state that your daughter is an experienced rider; then she and you already knew the risks. Were you hoping that people here would support you in thinking you could get the horse owner to foot your bills? The fact that your daughter is doing well is wonderful news; hopefully it won't curtail her future riding endeavors.

I'm not sure why you singled me out; but I will tell you this: I word my posts very carefully. My history shows that. Perhaps you should start doing the same.

I agree with you @SahmIam.

She wants the property owner to pay the medical bills.

Why else would she want to "talk" to them?

Honored Contributor

d6c09b88-c48a-46a6-9eff-556c474ce88e_1.61bf339f72aa8c1060470b26a9b789bf.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The o/p (who interestingly has never come back to this thread. Hmmm. I wonder why?) may "talk" with the other party, but if that other party were me, I wouldn't pay a dime, and any friendship would be over, and the daughter would never be allowed to ride on my property ever again.

So, o/p, you have to ask yourself, is all that really worth it?

You have done the same in a few threads you've started.

Frequent Contributor

@Qshopper1991The last sentence of your initial post says "what do you think.".  If you really don't want to know what people think or you get pizzed at the answers,  don't ask for opinions.  Unless these farm owners are well off and have expendable cash, they will have to file a claim or you would possibly have to sue them to get the money.  The thread took a natural digression into insurance claims, liability and such.  I don't think anyone was trying to imply you said anything about suing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Qshopper1991. All homeowners/ property owners insurance policies have medical payment provisions. Her policy can pay your medical costs without admitting liability or causing the property owner to incur any out of pocket expenses. You should tell  them you want to file a claim under the med-pay provision of their policy!!