Trusted Contributor

Re: Daughter Just Took Some of DH Clothes toDI

@Bird mama wrote:

@Mama Mia  After my husband passed away I didn't rush to do anything with his clothing.  I let my nerves guide me.  If I thought about donating anything or discarding any worn items and my stomach got nervous, I didn't do it.  Some items were easy to donate, some items stayed in the house for a couple of years.  I had a pair of his shoes near the microwave cart for about 2 years and when my sister asked me why I left his shoes there I said, because I can. Heart  

Be patient with yourself.

Hey Miss -

I like that attitude....YOU CAN!!!  It is my house....

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

When my husband was in his last days,  i started that process,   once he passed ,i could not get rid of his shoes, for some reason that was very difficult.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I do not think  this is funny. You loved your husband and your not ready to let it all go. You daughter is right taking a little at a time. If it gets overwhelming or seems to fast tell her to take a break and when your ready resume. The key here is when your ready. God bless you Mama Mia. (((((hugs)))))) ❤️

Honored Contributor

I am sure this is very hard for you both.. May God bless you for your goodness and kindness

Respected Contributor

I am glad DD is there to help. ❤️🌸I had to do it all alone when my mom passed and it was gut wrenching. 

Honored Contributor

When my DH passed, I took care of donating his clothing and many new unworn pairs of shoes, etc.  I didn't want my  children to have to do it.   I gave new clothing to a local charity that gives items to those in need.  Other clothing went to different charitites in the area.   It is difficult to do.      Right now I'm going through old papers, correspondence etc.that is outdated and no reason to keep.  That is hard also.  Memories.  I know if I don't do it, at some point my kids will have to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mama Mia, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband.  Fine to proceed, at your pace, with your choices.  I am glad your DD is there to assist you.  If there are some items you want to keep, that is your choice.  The idea of someone creating a quilt from some items is a very nice suggestion.

I still have my DH.  I am 74; he is 78.  A dear friend, who was widowed a few years ago, has always told me to treasure every day together.  Only God knows the day and the hour - and I could go first.  

My blessings to you and to all our widowed forum friends.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry you are going this process.  It very hard to let go and say goodbye.

i have many of his tops which I sleep in even now.  Cozy.

Honored Contributor

@Mama Mia wrote:

My DH passed away eighteen months ago and I couldn't get rid of his clothes. 

This is heart wrenching for me, She is doing it every two weeks for me and it will take awhile as he had many, a lot of them new. I know this probably sounds funny to a lot of you but hope you never have to go through this, although it is a part of life. Just venting, thank you.

mm

@Mama Mia   I am sure it is one of many hard things to face doing with such a loss. Always feel free to say how you feel....((hugs))❤️

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

A part of life we all have to face at sometime. It is never easy.

This is a big reason why I have downsized, want to make it as easy as possible for others. 

I am also trying to downsize for the same reason.