Respected Contributor

Daughter Just Took Some of DH Clothes toDI

My DH passed away eighteen months ago and I couldn't get rid of his clothes. 

This is heart wrenching for me, She is doing it every two weeks for me and it will take awhile as he had many, a lot of them new. I know this probably sounds funny to a lot of you but hope you never have to go through this, although it is a part of life. Just venting, thank you.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Re: Daughter Just Took Some of DH Clothes toDI

I am so sorry for your loss @Mama Mia . My heart goes out to you. I helped my dad with my mom's clothing but told him at the time, to keep them as long as he needed. It was hard for him too...

Honored Contributor

Mama Mia,

I fully sympathize with you.  Saying goodbye in every sense of the word is a difficult process.

I am still struggling with removing all of my late husband's clothes -- and he died 18 years ago.  Some shoes just aged poorly and they were easy to toss, as were some shirts and sweaters.

Still, I've hung on to some suits, shirts and sweaters that evoke special memories.  The clothing must go, though, for multiple reasons.  I am aware of that.

Not an easy task.  I hope you stay strong and often remember your loving times together.

Frequent Contributor

I am so sorry for your great loss.  Those who have  not been  through  it  can't  understand.  I don't know if this would  help but I  have  seen  a  website that  will  make a  quilt with some of  his favorite  shirts . Maybe  someone else  has the  website.   Again I am so sorry. 

Trusted Contributor

My father died last month, and he would want his clothing and shoes to go to people who didn't have to pay for them.  I am not sentimental about such things, so it isn't hard for me to do, but I want to make sure his wishes are respected. 

Contributor

My late husband passed away 15 years ago and I still buy Old Spice, his go to scent every now and then...sometimes it's harder than others,sometimes evokes smiles or tears but memories are always good....be good to yourself and go at your own pace.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mama Mia  I am sorry for your loss of your husband.

It is fine to keep some special things. You get to decide that. 

I'm not sure if you are familiar with but there are people who can

make quilts, pillows, etc. out of clothing as remembrance items. Just

an idea.

Please remember that many men will benefit from your donation.

Take care.

Honored Contributor

@Mama Mia  After my husband passed away I didn't rush to do anything with his clothing.  I let my nerves guide me.  If I thought about donating anything or discarding any worn items and my stomach got nervous, I didn't do it.  Some items were easy to donate, some items stayed in the house for a couple of years.  I had a pair of his shoes near the microwave cart for about 2 years and when my sister asked me why I left his shoes there I said, because I can. Heart  

Be patient with yourself.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

A part of life we all have to face at sometime. It is never easy.

This is a big reason why I have downsized, want to make it as easy as possible for others. 

Honored Contributor

very sorry to hear about your husband passing away.

everyone is different. i know when my father passed away we had a TON of stuff to go through......he passed away in 2004 and we are STILL finding his stuff in drawers and closets and boxes. my mom began almost immediately filling up bags with his clothing and shoes. when she was ready, we began helping her. each month she had a few bags to give away. she kept a few clothing items that still smelled like him or that had a great sentimental value for her. none of us could use them.

to this day we have a couple of bags of "stuff" from the house that we give away every other month. if someone calls, i always say YES, we have bags. it forces me to go through things and give away items we no longer use.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein