Trusted Contributor

Here's my suggestion ~ if there is an American Legion or VFW in your area check and see if they have any dinners that are open to the public.  The American Legion in our area hosts steak dinners, Octoberfest, things like that mainly during the fall and winter months.  Hey, it's something to do, you get a good meal and you're supporting a great organization in the process.  Did I mention I met my husband there?  We'll be celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary later this month!  Believe me, that's the last place I thought I'd meet someone!  (Wasn't even looking)!  There are people there in all age groups, too.  Best of luck! 

Honored Contributor

So many good ideas here..........and let's not forget about volunteering for political parties and/or your favorite politician!  Lots of eligible folks, working together toward a goal.  Never know exactly who you'll meet there!  Lots of volunteer events, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:
<snip>

The next day I would sent a flattering email that it was nice to meet and enjoyed his company, but would not like to take this any further ... the reason? .... he reminds me of my "ex".   Not his fault, and not my fault, and he doesn't feel rejected. 

That is brilliant!!!

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

I met my husband on philly matchmakers (in 1999 after I was divorced from my 1st husband). I dont know if it exists anymore.  But they had them for all major cities and surrounding areas (as I dont live in philly). Such as they were called such and such a major city & matchmakers dot com.

In fact not only did I meet my husband on an online site, so did my best friend meet her husband on one, so did a nephew and neice of mine meet their spouses on them also.

Good luck!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

These are all terrific ideas and I will get involved with the activities suggested. I also took a chance and signed up at eharmoney for a short period {6 months}. And signed up for some meet ups. Hopefully I will meet someone Cat Embarassed

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Re: Dating sights

[ Edited ]

I've done online dating off and on for 16 years or so.  My boss at the time convinced me to go on Love@AOL (which is now Match.com).   She had great success there.  Over the years I've done Match and eHarmony and I find Match has a greater pool and is more active while eHarmony is slower paced, with a small paid pool.  It's very easy to tell on each site who is paying and who isn't (and who has been on there since the earth was new and who is new to the game).

You get out of it what you put into it.  Your experience will be determined by how much weight you put on it and how much you let things bother you.  You need a thick skin to do online dating.  For some men, it's like a candy store.  And some men have no filter whatsoever and feel the need, for no reason at all, to write to you to tell you what they like and don't like about you, your pictures, your profile.  LOL  All in the guise of wanting to help you out.  And in that first moment, you know why they are single ;o)

Dating sites will differ based on where you live.  Larger metro areas will have more people than small areas.

Meetup is the same way.  For me, Meetup is the black whole in which the socially awkward and introverts roam.  In my area, the same 15 people are in every Meetup.  Some groups are stronger than others, but just like High School, the cool people move to their own lunch table and boot the non-cool people.  There are more private/underground Meetups than public ones.  I had 2 very active Meetups for a while, but they are draining.  All people do is complain.  If you don't like the event, don't come.  If you want to do something else, host.  It's not that difficult.  But, some people just like to complain.

I do a lot of volunteering at events, I belong to several organizations, I am out and about a lot.  I do better on dating sites than with meeting men in real life.

I've had nothing but good (or funny!) online dating experiences.  I've met wonderful men, had fabulous relationships that just didn't lead to marriage.  

I use common sense, I am not desperate and I have a healthy qwap detector that serves me well ;l)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hsawaknow wrote:

Im ready to get back into the dating scene. I recently met a very nice gentleman but he was contemplating to move and I cant so after 4 weeks we had to break it off. It really made me sad as we both cared for each other. We had met on plenty of fish.

I was contemplating joining a better site, one that you pay for like match.com or eharmony. Has anyone had any success with these sights? If u have do you care share your experience? TIA

eharmony says they're very successful, but I know two people who had the same result ..... the site kept supplying "interesting" choices for them, but there was never any chemistry with the people selected.    So, who knows.

I think it's important to lead with your INTERESTS ....  do you like to play tennis?    Do you volunteer with anything?   If you meet people whose interests are similar, you're one step ahead .... JMO

I tried e harmony once and they kept sending me 'interesting choices'  completely out of my region!! It's been 10 years- back then I had been on match and jdate- I met some nice people (still good friends with one guy!) but no long term committments. My kids are older now - so it's time  to try again.

Esteemed Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I know nothing about dating sites so cannot offer any advice in that department.

Sorry I think wondering around Home Depot, inventing a project, sounds beyond desperate.  How would you know the "handy man" was even available?  What are you suppose to do, look for a wedding ring?  It's been my experience, many men that work with their hands do not wear rings. The damsel in distress needing a big strong man to help her is just pathetic.

If you want to date go to a dating site.  If someone is willing to pay a fee to post a profile, there's a pretty good chance they are serious about dating.

And I certianly don;t want to go to Home Depot or Lowe's in full makeup, decked out!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I don't know if you have the opportunity to do this in your area, but you might try Speed Dating.  They are organized events where people participate in certain age categories.  They are held in restaurants, and the gals sit each at their own tables.  The guys move from one table to another with enough time to make a conversation.  Both gals and guys can offer a list of who seems appealing to them at the end of the evening.  If there is a mutual interest, both parties are informed, and the rest is up to them.

I don't know all the particulars, but I think you can tell from a short meeting and introducing yourselves whether there's a spark or not.  Like anything else, it's a chance and you have to be careful.

Sounds a little silly to some, but my daughter met the love of her life that way.  Nothing else had worked.  Both she and he were in their 40s, never married before.  Both had careers in fields where they worked long hours, with limited access to people who were available and desirable.

They dated, got engaged, and now have been married for 1 &

1/2 years now.  He is such a nice man and treats her so very well.  Both families are delighted for them.  I have never seen my daughter so happy!  

So so you never know!  As the saying goes, "Keep your heart open, and love will find a way."

I always joke that speed dating might be great since most guys don't interest me for more than a few minutes anyway! Woman LOL 

Honored Contributor

Slightly o/t (and I wish you well OP finding a guy!) but I was reading an (old) Vanity Fair today about that Tinder dating (?) site.  WHOA!!

That's one of the saddest realities of the younger generation that ties 'socializing' and social networking.

The young women and guys interviewed were brutally honest.

Seems the guys walk away after they get what they wanted and the girls walk away with nothing.  Nothing!  As in .... Nothing!

It's really sad, it's a step back for all. IMO.