Respected Contributor

A friend of mine says she joined a dating website and her profile was compromised by scammers who took her information and was able to send messages to guys getting their email addresses and phone numbers by pretending the requests were coming from her. I assume they were planning to scam the guys. She canceled her subscription then went on Facebook to join a Senior dating website but couldn't believe the profiles of younger women in scanty outfits looking for older men.  What the heck ?  At least the dating website refunded her money. Anyone else had problems on dating websites or have you ever been on one ? any luck ? Woman Surprised  

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes    Long ago when the personals were in the newspapers, I did use those successfully; however, even then, I had to deal with many undesirables.   I haven't even checked any of the online sites for more than a decade and doubt I ever will again.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops "The Personals" in the Classsified Ads section of the newspaper, now that's a 'blast from the past'.

Honored Contributor

I worked with two young women who went on dating sites.  Neither had any luck and in fact met some strange men.After several attempts they stopped looking.

I do not have a problem with dating through on line sites but would be very careful and alert.  I also heard of older women who were sending money to men thinking these fools were interested in them as love interests.  Sadly loneliness for some is detrimental.

There are probably positive stories to equal the negative but I only am aware of one couple who met on line and have been happily married.  

Respected Contributor

I read a lot of "how to" books and internet articles on how to date safely and successfully online.  I had mostly positive experiences and met my husband on Match!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   oh that's a good one FB....really?

So there's senior dating on FB that you have to pay for??

Good luck to her.

Honored Contributor

My sister found the love of her life on Christian Mingle.  The scammers may bother that site less because of it's title.

Trusted Contributor

I met my wonderful husband through eharmony. We truly are a perfect match. It is a little scary to meet someone online but for us it worked perfectly. 

Contributor

I don't have any experiences with them, but I once saw an older man advertise himself on my local nextdoor website. He made it clear he was looking for someone around his age. I don't know if his post was successful, but it's another option for your friend.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling  wrote:

So there's senior dating on FB that you have to pay for??

I think you misread my post on this part. She went on FB to a Senior dating page but it's free, no charge for that. Sorry if I didn't make that part clear