Respected Contributor

Re: Darn Kids Take Years Off Your Life

Kids that age have sooo much energy and they hardly sit still !  My 6 yo grandson is always busy, makes his mom so nervous at times. Thank goodness no bleed or fx,  keep us updated on her recovery status

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

(thread title)

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Maybe that's why I decided not to have kids when I was still a teenager. My older sisters had a total of 10, that made me sure of my choice. Visit/play with them, then Bye!

Remember back when you were young. If you didn't have quite a few bongs on your body somewhere? You grew up different than my family and friends.

Best to your little GD,

hckynut  🇺🇸

Me too, Mr. hckynut. Life is hard enough never saw the need to compound the situation. Screamers at the Walmart are enough to drive me out of the store. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Little bruises and bangs are one thing, but head injuries are another.  

I will never forget the time my son fell on ice outside as a teen, knocked out cold, while we waited for an ambulance. He did have a concussion, and I do remember well when he awoke.

We had been planning to take our son and a friend to the movies that evening,  Once he was awake, he lamented “I guess we won’t be going to the movies tonight.”  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

You don't fool around when you hit your head. I always remember Natasha Richardson hit her head while sking, thought nothing of it and died. I'm glad your great niece is okay. 

@Jordan2,

I think so many of us were so impacted by that! It was such a seemingly ordinary fall that turned fatal and something I think so many thought that could have happened to any of us.

Also made many aware and alert not to take head injuries for granted,or that oh it's "fine." Not everything is always fine!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll never forget my son being carried off the high school football field on a stretcher. He was taken to the hospital with a concussion. Scary.

One of my kids struggled with drugs. He finally came to me at 19 asking for help. I took him to ER. He was so screwed up that his heart was out of whack along with other medical issues. He was in treatment by night and finally got clean. Since then, he graduated from Magna ****** Laude with 2 degrees, obtained his MSW, has been recognized internationally for his research, and is the addiction expert at his therapy/counseling firm. I'm very very proud!  

Honored Contributor

I did that in the shower in May. I was laid up for about 8 weeks. The pain did not set in till about 2 hours later. We were having lunch and my BACK hurt so much I just wanted everyone to go home!.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't heard anything from my niece so I'm guessing they just kept her DD for observation and nothing changed from last night.  She would have called if anything changed for the worse.   I will call my BIL shortly.

My younger niece has 1 child, 16 yr. old girl.  Last Feb. it was icy and she fell as she went to get on the school bus. The kid got up, got on the bus and went to school. She didn't tell her  parents until the next day when she got double vision and started throwing up.  They took her immediately to hospital. She had a terrible few months. She was just released from Concussion Therapy a month ago. 

Will post an update as soon as I hear anything.  Thanks to all for good thoughts.

Trusted Contributor

Your niece has had quite a time of it lately. Hoping she recovers quickly. Thank goodness for doctors, nurses and science We've really come far in our knowledge of head injuries.
I'm sure she is in excellent hands, Auntie. Love that you maintain these important relationships.
Esteemed Contributor

I spoke with my niece, little girl was kept overnight.  She is still somewhat dizzy but had kept some food down.  I guess if she doesn't throw up she may be allowed to go home.

Honored Contributor

If I didn't have a daughter or 2 grandchildren, I'd be a wealthy woman!  Smiley Happy  (joke)