Respected Contributor

Re: Dark colored clothing fading

I wear most of my clothes more than one time before washing so I only do one load every other week.  I don't separate my clothes as I don't have any white clothes.  I wash everything together in one load.  I use All Free and Clear and wash in warm water.  I never have an issue with fading. 

Honored Contributor

I was all my darks together in cold water.  I use Arm & Hammer for delicate skin, and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

I wear a LOT of black ...I haven't noticed any fading.

Honored Contributor

I am going to try the woolite for dark,for my colored clothes,i really like wearing as much percent of cotton as possible.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Use Woolite for Darks, wash in cold water, turn garment inside out and line dry, all of these tips prevent fading. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tide makes one as well, called "Studio Darks + Colors."

I have a theory that cotton/poly blends fade less than 100% cotton.Not sure, but maybe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Tide makes one as well, called "Studio Darks + Colors."

I have a theory that cotton/poly blends fade less than 100% cotton.Not sure, but maybe.

@Another new name Sue 

I've noticed this too, at least w/ black jeans from Talbots. They are made with a poly cotton blend and they have stayed black thru wash after wash. Can't believe how good they last vs the 100% cotton or the 98/2 cotton spandex jeans.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Not at all.  I wear a lot of black and dark colors.  I'm addicted to black leggings.  Nothing ever fades, stretches or pills.  I think partly because of modern fabrications and partly because I wash or instruct the laundry to wash my clothing in cool water on gentle.  And dry on warm.  I only use hot water on bedding and towels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also use Woolite dark. It helps. Always wash in cold water. If it is something you love and it is dark navy or black I always hang dry. I got one of those house clothes racks and use it year round. If something is deeply dyed black and you are warned it bleeds I pre wash separately with a little vinegar to set the dye.  Even put in sink with cold water and pinch woolite and a dash vinegar. Soak 5 mins, then rinse well and hang to dry. Hot , warm water, and dryer ar ensure ways to fade many clothes, especially cotton