Respected Contributor

Re: Danish Kringle At Trader Joe's

On 11/21/2014 6008 said:

The kringles are made in my hometown of Racine, WI by O&H Danish Bakery. They are the best! We have several other bakeries here that make them but they don't compare.

I agree, they are wonderful. The only problem I have is that Trader Joe's only carries them twice a year and they carry just a couple of flavors. There are several more flavors I'd love to try, but after paying $7.99 at Trader Joe's, I hate to pay over $20 for one from O&H.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Well, after reading the raves here, I bought the Almond Kringle @ Trader Joe's and just about gagged on it. It was way too sweet! I thought it would be like a Elephant ear pastry, but it was just soggy dough filled with Almond Paste. No flakiness or crunch. Needed a fork to eat it as it couldn't be picked up. I thought this would be like a Danish Pastry.

Glad I didn't buy it from the source at retail. Froze what I didn't eat and will have it as an option for others at Thanksgiving, but I couldn't even finish one bite. Major disappointment.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Valued Contributor

OMG, I just bought one the other night at Trader Joe's. I was just browsing around the baked goods section and there they were! Then I remembered someone talking about them on the boards here. They only had a few left and had them featured on a table. I was there at night so maybe they had more out during the day. As soon as I got home, I couldn't wait to cut a piece. I got the almond Kringle and absolutely loved it! It was very fresh (which impressed me), and I loved how light and flakey it was. The almond was the only flavor they had. I paid $7.99 for it and it was definitely worth it. I will definitely purchase it again and hope they have other flavors to try but I really liked the almond.

Regular Contributor

Well I guess I'll be doing 2 hours of jogging instead of 1.

I run for Danish Kringle from TJ's. LOL {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Thanks, Noel!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

I got the almond kringle too. It was tasty (froze half of it), but I thought it was kind of soggy. Maybe I just got an older one? I like my pastries to be crisp.

Trusted Contributor

We were at Trader Joes on Saturday to pick up a turkey and I remembered everyone talking about the Danish so we decided to treat ourselves and try one. Thought the flavor was really good but like mentioned it wasn't very crispy. Heated it in the oven for a few minutes. We had a piece Sat and Sunday and I put the rest in the freezer. Good but no way is it worth $20! We both said the almond croissants from Trader Joes are almost better and you get 4 for $3.99.
Honored Contributor

We tried the Almond Kringle last night for dessert, really enjoyed it, very soft and fresh.

Respected Contributor

I'm surprised at the comments about kringle not being crispy. I don't think I've ever had one that had a crispy crust. They've always been soft on the outside.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I'm surprised at the comments about kringle not being crispy. I don't think I've ever had one that had a crispy crust. They've always been soft on the outside.

I agree.

I don't think they're meant to be flaky and crispy like pie crust.The texture is soft. More like coffee cake.

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

I love TJ's triple ginger cookies.