Honored Contributor

Dangerous rescues... who is responsible?

It always upsets me to see emergency personnel having to put their own lives on the line to rescue people from their own poor judgment.  I'm referring to hikers, skiers and other adventurers who wind up in precarious situtations like this one. 

Woman Rescued from Devil's Backbone

It seems like it happens every few days.

Who pays for these expensive rescues?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Dangerous rescues... who is responsible?

I have read that sometimes people are billed for some of the cost of these rescues and assistance.

I too don't tolerate people who have to be adventurous and risk not only their lives, but that of others when they get into trouble.

There are enough circumstances where things happen that put people at peril simply by accident, but people who are pushing the envelope for their own fun and satisfaction (often disregarding laws/rules about places or activities that are off limits) need to be held responsible for the consequences of those actions.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat, I would imagine the taxed to death tax payers end up footing at least part of the bill. It bothers me too.

Close to where I live, there is a large hiking area. Part of that is closed off to the public because it is so dangerous. There are no trespassing signs and fences. We still have people who climb the fences. A few years ago, a woman and her 20 something son climbed the fence to go look for indian artifacts (or that was the story she told) there was some kind of cliff. The son tried to climb it, he fell and died. Rescuers had to go find him and retrieve his body.

Honored Contributor

I am only guessing, but it's probably the poor tax payers. 

People should have to get permits ,to do things like this woman, and be forced to carry insurance to cover the cost of a rescue

Honored Contributor

It makes me nervous when people go hiking, jogging, etc. in bear and/or mountain lion territory. Especially during new cub/kitten season when their moms can be very dangerous.   Hopefully they are carrying pepper spray, an alarm, or whatever else.  Also, anti-venom medication would be handy, just in case. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I agree about people having to risk their lives to rescue stupidity.  I also think that to do some of these things on federal land you should have to post a hefty bond to climb the mountain or whatever to pay for at least part of a rescue is one has to be made.

If you don't post the bond, you get sued for the cost or at least a percentage of it.  Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for things like this.  And that's all besides others having to risk their lives to save your stupid behind!  Really! 

Honored Contributor

Was she an expert hiker? If so, it was a true accident and that's what rescue crews so. However, if she was not.....I believe she should pay for the rescue.

This reminds me of a situation that happened....20 plus years ago:

A neighbor was pregnant. A HUGE snow storm was slated to hit our area. She was overdue by a week and by the time the storm hit, she was in to her second week of being over due. I knew this because I saw her outside and asked when she was due and the info came out. She then went on to say her doctors told her to go the hospital AHEAD of the storm just in case she went into labor (which is very common during snow storms). She said no way was she doing that because she would have sit around in the waiting room and she didn't find that comfortable.

Storm hits and it's a bad one; snow fall was in the feet. It was 24 hours after the snow started falling, in the dark, when we heard a rumble. I mean a rumble that made our townhouse shake. We lived at the bottom of a cul-de-sac that was full of cars around the circle. Here comes a TANK down the hill (our street), shoving cars to ths side and we watched as they went to our NEIGHBORS house and helped her into the tank. Yep, she had gone into labor and needed to be rescued and brought to the hospital.

They moved shortly after the birth of the baby (never found out if it was a girl or boy).

Months later, we were discussing rescue's with a friends who worked for FEMA as well as the First Response team in DC; he helped to make the call as to when to send out troops during a State of Emergency. Our snow storm came up. He told us how **ssed-off he and others were that they had to send a tank to rescue a pregnant woman who went against medical advice to go to the hospital as she was past due just in case she went into labor. That tank took away from rescuing people who had trees fall on their houses, getting emergency personnel to hospitals, etc. My husband and I looked at each other and asked him did they bill her for the rescue.

"HELL YEAH" he replied. They always do when it's a KNOWN situation and the person ignores sound advice. We asked how much it was and he said around $25,000. Did she pay? Nope, they skipped out of town and left their landlord on the hook for their rent... he was going to sue them for the money. Would the state go after them? Probably not, he said. It costs too much when lawyers get involved.

To this day we don't know if it was our neighbor he was talking about. Quite a few women went into labor that night and had babies (made the news, lol).  Do I agree that she should have had to pay? Absolutely.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

It always upsets me to see emergency personnel having to put their own lives on the line to rescue people from their own poor judgment.  I'm referring to hikers, skiers and other adventurers who wind up in precarious situtations like this one. 

Woman Rescued from Devil's Backbone

It seems like it happens every few days.

Who pays for these expensive rescues?

From the article it appears the women just had an accident on the trail.  She was doing nothing illegal.  First responders put their lives in danger everyday when people have accidents. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

We used to live in Scottsdale, Arizona and had similar problems there.  Visitors would come into town determined to hike Camelback Mountain.  They would visit in the middle of the summer and bring one bottled water with them.  Let me tell you - one bottle of water will last you about 1/2 hour when it's 110 degrees out!  I don't know how many times they would have to dispatch a helicopter to pluck these people off of the mountain.  It's crazy.  And, yes, I think if you're too stupid to make the proper preparations to hike these dangerous areas then you should be billed for the rescue. 

Esteemed Contributor

All to often the taxpayers foot the bill for individuals poor judgement.Sometimes the bill is sent to the offender but not often enough!! I'm all for people taking chances.If you want to risk life & limb go for it.It's your right.But I don't want to pay for it!! Nor do I want to see first responders risk their lives for the irresponsible!!

I wish laws could be passed that would automatically transfer the financial responsibility of such incidents back to the offender!!! I bet people would think twice before they act!!