Honored Contributor

Dangerous Toy Sold on QVC

[ Edited ]

I sent an email to the Social Team about this toy, but I also wanted to warn any potential buyers.

This toy with the magnetic balls are extremely dangerous and are even recommended for age 1 and up!

You can google and pull up many reports of kids swallowing these and they stick together in the intestines and bowels causing many to lose part of their intestines and even die.

There is even a Tik Tok challenge daring young people to use one inside their mouth, with one on the outside to 'appear to be tongue or facial piercings.

I wish QVC would reconsider selling these at all, much less recommending for age 1, young children tend to put toys in their mouth all the time. 

Below is a link about the Tik Tok challenge and just one of the many kids who have had life threatening results from magnetic balls and there's many many more on line.

I know many posters don't like to click on links, but just use google, "Kids swallowing magnets' or 'Tik Tok magnet challenge', there are many, many reports.

I hope and pray that people won't buy these  for kids and suffer tragic consequences.

Thank for reading this warning.Heart
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dangerous Toy Sold on QVC

Yikes!  I had hoped no one was still selling those things.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have to agree; I don't think this is anything that should be sold for children, especially saying "one year and up".  There have been too many stories in the news about children swallowing these magnetic pieces.

One little boy swallowed an entire "chain" of the smaller magnetic balls.  He had to be operated on to save his life.

Children put things in their mouths - this shouldn't be one of them!

Honored Contributor

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom,

Thanks so much for that.

I don't think QVC and many other companies look into the safety aspects of many things we use every day.

Those squishy soft bead type things that were put in balls, toys are very toxic and were sold all over several years ago. I saw them in Michaels and decided to look it up before getting.

They are very colorful, fun to hold and squish, and also very toxic!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom Here's how to report an unsafe product to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They do the investigation. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi5mvzuy5DzAhVHlGoFHemqAygQ...

Respected Contributor

These balls look way too big to be a choking hazard.
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 

Seriously?

Advertising photos are always enlarged to show products in detail, like I said, do some research and see how many children have had life altering consequences from swallowing these.

They don't choke on them, they actually swallow them, where they get lodged in their intestinal system.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Have you seen this product in person? I have. The dimensions are shown on Amazon if you’re interested. The balls are too big to fit into a toilet paper tube (which is a quick test to see if a toddler can choke on something).

If a toy is too big to choke on, how pray tell is a child going to get it lodged in its intestines?
Respected Contributor

The toys you’re referring to were called Magnetix and they were recalled snd taken off the market years ago. I suggest you take your own advice. Google is your friend.