Honored Contributor

Re: Damar Hamlin.

[ Edited ]

@

@bonnielu wrote:

Prayers for his complete recovery. Question:  even if he has great recovery does he play again.  It he allowed to do that because of what happened to him?  I know nothing about sports. 

@bonnielu @@I'm assuming that would depend on how complete a recovery he makes and if there's any presence of underlying conditions that might have contributed to the arrest. Chances are, with the amount of time that passed before he was resuscitated being so long he might have some cardiac damage. If there's no medical reason why he can't play, then he probably can do so if he chooses to. 

Honored Contributor

The medical staff told him that he won, he won the game of life. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

That is great news.

Personally, I would be too scared to go back.  I would not play with the same intensity ever again.  But that is me.  Maybe he would and will.

If he does not go back, I am sure he can find some sort of position within football so that he can be around the sport.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

What wonderful, encouraging news!  A hospital affiliated with a university does seem to be in a good position to have an excellent staff that is knowledgeable and aware of the latest and best practices.

The prayers, though.  Perhaps several million people fervently prayed for a good outcome for Damar Hamlin.  On my local TV networks, I learned of two incidents similar to that which felled Damar, and both had the outcome one would want.  That news gave me hope.

How welcome good news is!

Respected Contributor

I doubt any nfl team would want the liability of encouraging him to go on the field again to play pro football. I understand the nfl does not have very good healthcare benefits after you quit playing or retire...it's five years.,,there is a group that is trying to get lifetime healthcare for retired or former players, especially if they can't play again due to injury while playing football. Perhaps he could do something else off the field, but they should at least pay his healthcare expensive for sure. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the press conference with his doctors earlier today and it is indeed Good News. 

God is good!

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

What wonderful, encouraging news!  A hospital affiliated with a university does seem to be in a good position to have an excellent staff that is knowledgeable and aware of the latest and best practices.

The prayers, though.  Perhaps several million people fervently prayed for a good outcome for Damar Hamlin.  On my local TV networks, I learned of two incidents similar to that which felled Damar, and both had the outcome one would want.  That news gave me hope.

How welcome good news is!

@golding76 I heard that hospital described as the only Level I Trauma Center in that part of the state.  Our university hospital in Albuquerque is the only one in the State of New Mexico. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RespectLife    I wonder if he asked, "what happened"?  That would've been my first question.

I bet he was surprised to hear nobody won the game.

If he was able to ask the question, he won.

@RollTide2008 

I just teared up reading this. He sure did.
Millions of prayers answered 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Good news!  I just heard on the news that he has opened his eyes and is responding to hand squeezes from family members.  Doctors continue to evaluate him for possible permanent damage.

This is the Buffalo Bills football player injured in last weekend's game.

@Kachina624 

I saw on National news that he is writing answer to questions from the doctors. "Did we win the game" was said to be one of his first questions. Think that alone is a very good sign.

I know there is also concern about the condition of his lungs. Hope he can fully recover with his Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems. I am familiar with the heart and lungs from my own experiences. 

Hopefully he didn't lose much heart muscle or too seriously damage his lungs. Wish him a full recovery, whether or not that includes playing football.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I doubt any nfl team would want the liability of encouraging him to go on the field again to play pro football. I understand the nfl does not have very good healthcare benefits after you quit playing or retire...it's five years.,,there is a group that is trying to get lifetime healthcare for retired or former players, especially if they can't play again due to injury while playing football. Perhaps he could do something else off the field, but they should at least pay his healthcare expensive for sure. 

@Trailrun23 - if all his tests are negative with no heart nor brain impairment & he gets a clean bill of health, I don't think the NFL can deny him playing.  It would be a form of discrimination.  If he felt, he wanted to play but was skiddish & his play affected, he could be benched or traded.  When you have this type of event it can be tansormational & he may go in a different direction or he can feel he was meant to play.  I'm sure his parents will try to discourage him from playing, I would if it were my son.   We will see.  

I heard that he is not eligible for pension, disability or other benefits as he hasn't been playing long enough.  However, a spokesperson from the NFL stated " they would sustain him & provide anything he needs going forward".  

IMO, I would classify his injury as workers compensation as he was employed at the time of the injury.  This will give him extra benefits.  

he has a ways to go but he is 24 and in good shape but once full function returns, he may have a rapid return to normalcy.  

the hockey player who got hit in the chest years ago returned to work a week later.  I think he had an arrhythmia tho but not full arrest.