Respected Contributor

Damage in Southwest Florida, after tornado sweeps through the area

Multiple tornadoes touched down in Southwest Florida on Sunday morning as severe storms moved across the area.

Videos show storm damage across Fort Myers, Iona, Naples

and on Alligator Alley..

One of these tornadoes, an EF2, destroyed 28 homes and damaged 62 so severely that they were unlivable, the Lee County government said in a press conference. Up to 200 people were forced out of there homes due to the damage.

Tornado in Iona, Florida, damages homes - See photos

The National Weather Service confirmed a tornado was sighted in Collier County.

Videos show tornadoes strike Fort Myers - ABC7 Southwest Florida

Winds from the storms in Collier County knocked over a tractor-trailer as it was traveling along I-75 North, before Mile Marker 96. Florida Highway Patrol says the driver of the truck was injured. The highway has since been cleared.

Some mobile homes in Iona were destroyed. The Iona McGregor Fire Department Deputy Chief, estimates the storms have displaced 150 to 200 people.

Tornado in Iona, Florida, damages homes - See photos

Tropicana community in Ft.Myers suffers severe damage this morning due to a  tornado. |

Damage in Tropicana RV Resort in Fort Myers

Tornados in Fort Myers and Naples: See videos of damage

Tornado in Iona area damages and destroys structures

In Iona, several homes were severely damaged from the storms.

The Iona McGregor Fire Department is asking you to stay off the roads as crews clean up the debris left behind. Lee County Sheriff also asks that you stay off the roadways.

The Red Cross says it is working closely with emergency crews on the ground in Fort Myers to provide assistance to those who need it, including helping people who have been displaced find a place to stay.

The winds in Charlotte County also left a large amount of damage in its wake. Video from WINK news viewer shows damage in the Village of Holiday Park community.

Latest power outage numbers for SWFL Information from Florida Power and Light indicated that by 3 p.m. there were 2,086 customers in Lee County and 241 in Collier County still without power.  There were 141 customers in Charlotte County waiting to be reconnected.

Honored Contributor

Re: Damage in Southwest Florida, after tornado sweeps through the area

It is so difficult to just look at these pics, let alone live through a tornado!

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎Sending prayers to all those affected by the tornados AUDREYLOVESPARTS رن‎'‎

Trusted Contributor

I am terribly sorry for the residents that have to face this  devastation.  I actually know what they are going through. Years ago a tornado ripped through our neighborhood.  Tornadoes are so unpredictable in their path of destruction.  While the houses on our side of the street only had minor damage, all others were completely ripped off their foundations.  I hope the people affected have family, and friends that can lend a hand in their time of need.  Certainly in our case, the Red Cross and Salvation Army were a godsend.  My thoughts, prayers and all the best wishes to the folks in Florida.

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover    I just saw these photos and sent an e mail to my cousin south of Ft Meyers. She sent one to me at about the same time saying they just got rain and not much  wind. 

Thanks for this thread! I'm in VA and just rain washing snow away  for now. Wind due later, I hope no trees down!

🌨🌧🌬🌳

Respected Contributor

Wink News: A look at the inside of a damaged home on Windcrest Drive in Iona McGregor neighborhood.  You can see the roof is gone. Debris fills what was once the dining room. The homeowner is scraped up but he is ok.

Esteemed Contributor

Very sad, Sending prayers to everyone.