Honored Contributor

Re: Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Found Guilty

@cherry wrote:

My daughter is campus police, and she has fished ducklings from sewers, because the kids knew she would save them. She has bought a coat for a homeless person she saved , from hypothermia,  due to sleeping in the rough. She knew enough to watch out for him ,and found him  in time to save his life

She has seen homicides up close ,and personal( too much for my liking), fought off a crazed guy that tried to kill her, and her partner ,with her partners gun .

They train for hostage situations and riots, so far , none have occurred

She has found dead students, that fell from their dorm windows while asleep, and got kids that overdosed to the hospital . She has dried tears of little ones ,that came for football camp, and big ones that needed a shoulder. Told bullies to back off, and grow up. She has directed traffic in all weathers, freezing and broiling, snowing and raining

She has never been in a position of power and wouldn't want it , if offered to her. She loves her job and the kids

@cherry you know your daughter best, and I mean no disrespect. But the young woman you describe sounds exactly like the kind of person I would hope to see in a position of power someday. Someone who cares to protect and serve. Which basically just means, like you said, to watch out for people.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@bathina wrote:
Sounds like what social workers go through. My daughter and my son in law can vouch for that.

...and nurses, doctors, paramedics, and firefighters.

All noble occupations.

None are allowed to shoot someone on sight.

I do respect police officers,  but there are problems with systemic racism in the force that need to be addressed.

Body cams are a step in the right direction. I've never heard anyone complain about a downside being a loss of privacy. 

There is also racism directed towards police officers.  It is just awful and goes both ways.  My DH's  partner was African American and even he had to hear and put up with some awful things from both white and AA people.  The AA people treated him like he was garbage.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Porcelain . My daughters first day on the job , she was called out on a domestic. The first thing her partner told her ,was to put your vest on

It turned out to be a double homicide. A boyfriend was stabbing his girlfriend. Her partner told him to halt ,and he wouldn't, he had to shoot him.They both died

Sometime later ,her partner came down with leukemia. He didn't survive. They felt some of the trauma from the shooting ,kept him from being able to fight it off. He never got over it. He left a young family

Respected Contributor

Yours is a moving story @Carmie .

I understand your reasons for the way you think. We all have reasons for the way we think and I have no desire to right fight with you. I will continue to express my opinions and I value your right to do the same.

I wish you peace 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

Thank you for sharing your story. 😢

I totally agree with your thoughts.

I never, for once, thought this murder was racially motivated.

There’s no evidence it was. 

But if people want to believe they ‘won’ something simply

because Mr. Jean was a black man, then good for them. 

Horrible people are horrible people...no matter what

gender, race, religion, profession or anything. 

Those are the ones making headlines.

Trusted Contributor

What if she had mistakenly walked into the apartment of an 85 year-old window? I have a strong feeling that the outcome would have been different. Just my two cents. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Amber Guyger sentenced to 10 years for the murder of Botham Jean.

Honored Contributor

94878B99-45C2-441A-B9D2-09A4D7729D36.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Amber has been sentenced to 10 years in prison. Now there are protestors in the halls of the courthouse shouting no justice, no peace...let the games begin. What a shame. I don’t think the victim would want this kind of spectacle at all.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, 10 years is a fair sentence.  I am glad she didn't get off scott free.  She is accountable for her negligent actions that led to the death of an innocent man.