Honored Contributor

Re: Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Found Guilty

[ Edited ]

The Botham Jean Foundation promotes Christian intervention for social change.Heart

I will link in another post in case it gets poofed.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
QVC Customer Care

Regular Contributor

I agree with you and I keep thinking the same thing.  Years ago, I opened a car door (it was unlocked) thinking it was mine.  As soon as I got in the car,  I noticed something was not right. It just felt different. I looked around and noticed stuff that was not mine and immediately realized it was not my car and got out.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   Those charts do not indicate the circumstances under which a person was shot by the police.  Such as a poc being shot in the back while running away.

It is a known fact that more white people are shot BUT: there are unknowns regarding the gray area.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

This police dept need to be investigated, as well. Something doesn't pass the smell test..I don't believe they didn't know what she was like

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I must start by saying that I know very little about this case. One thing I want to know is if the defendant’s keys fit the lock of the neighbor’s door. If this were the case and I was on the jury I’d be influenced by this information. Many times when I stick my keys in the lock and push open my door I don’t really look around much around and don’t pay much attention.  I just assume I’m home and I’m kind of in a little bit trance on my way to the couch, throwing off my clothes and shoes and then just sitting down after the long day. I might just assume I was in my own home even if I wasn’t and if I heard noises or saw someone in there and I thought it was my house I might panic.  I don’t know what I’d do under that circumstance, if I was tired and armed, because this hasn’t happened to me yet. 

The issue isn't that she went into the wrong apartment.  That's a given and not very relevant.  The jury got it, I don't know why other people have hard time focusing.  The issue here is that murdered an unarmed man who was no threat to her at all.  He was seated and eating a bowl of icecream!  She was a trained and uarmed police officer...where was the threat?  She entered and fired and she herself admitted on the witness stand that she shot to kill.  Since she was under no threat at all, why didn't she take him out of the apartment and call for back up?  If she'd done that, she would immediately have seen her mistake.  No one dies that day.  If she'd taken a breath...just one breath to assess the situation.  She'd have seen her mistake.  No one dies that day.  But, she saw a black face and make a conscious decision to kill, with no provocation.  Apartment locations and and garages and shifts were never the issue.  That's what the defense tried to use to cloud the situation.  The jury saw right through it.  

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Carmie   Those charts do not indicate the circumstances under which a person was shot by the police.  Such as a poc being shot in the back while running away.

It is a known fact that more white people are shot BUT: there are unknowns regarding the gray area.

Also, are these statistics just pure numbers or are they in relation to populations?  There are more white citizens than black numerically, so naturally the numbers are higher.

The chart means nothing if it doesn't show percentages compared to population.

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

I agree with you and I keep thinking the same thing.  Years ago, I opened a car door (it was unlocked) thinking it was mine.  As soon as I got in the car,  I noticed something was not right. It just felt different. I looked around and noticed stuff that was not mine and immediately realized it was not my car and got out.

@joann1218    Do you normally not lock your car?

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

That is very true.  I know one thing, it is never a good idea to not obey an order from the police immediately.  They are extremely nervous because their life is always in danger and there are many unknowns when they stop someone for any reason.

I remember when I was a teenager.  A local PO killed a man that he stopped in traffic for something.  I don't remember what. He told the man to place his hands on the stealing wheel, then exit the car with both hands up.

The man reached under the seat for something and he was shot point blank and killed.  When it was all said and done, the object he reached for was his rear view mirror that had broken free.  So he died for something stupid.  It was ruled to be a justified shooting, but their were riots over it.

Anyone who runs away, drives off or hides their hands and reaches for things after being stopped or told not to, is asking for trouble.  It is so dangerous to do these things, yet it continues.

Yes, there crooked cops and stupid ones as well, but the majority of them are trying to do their jobs well and go home to their family after their shift.

With all of the protests, concerns and media coverage, many PO are putting themselves and the public in danger because they do not want to fire their weapons because it is guaranteed to be a nightmare for them, even if justified.

Bottom line...everyone is accountable for their actions.  There is no excuse to not obey a PO's commands.  To do so in many cases is "suicide by cop"

I know hundreds of police officers personally and not one of them gets up in the morning and says " today I want to shoot someone" or " I hope I get to fire my weapon"

Honored Contributor

If you are ever stopped for a traffic offense... they say you should have both hands on the steering wheel when the officer comes to the drivers side door. Is this what you have done?  I have never been stopped for anything, but I certainly would want to be cooperative and will do this.