Esteemed Contributor

Two employees were killed Saturday morning in a shooting at a Dallas hospital, the local health system said.

Authorities responded to the Methodist Dallas Medical Center at roughly 11 a.m. local time on Saturday, according to a statement from the Methodist Health System.

“The preliminary investigation determined a suspect shot and killed two hospital employees,” the statement said.

An officer who arrived on scene confronted and shot the suspect, injuring him, according to the health system. The suspect was taken into custody, stabilized and taken to another hospital, the statement added.

Methodist Health System Police arrested 30-year-old Nestor Hernandez for capital murder, according to a statement from the Dallas Police Department.

Hernandez is out on parole for aggravated robbery and had “an active ankle monitor,” Dallas police said.

Hernandez was released in October 2021 and had permission to be at the facility while his significant other gave birth, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

“The Methodist Health System Family is heartbroken at the loss of two of our beloved team members. Our entire organization is grieving this unimaginable tragedy,” the statement from the health system’s executive leaders said. “Our prayers are with our lost co-workers and their families, as well as our entire Methodist family. We appreciate the community’s support during this difficult time.”

The shooting took place inside the “mother/baby” unit, according to a statement from Methodist Health System.

As a result, and “out of an abundance of caution,” police staffing is increased at the hospital campus, “including for mothers and babies,” the statement said. Methodist recently installed new camera systems, bolstered physical security measures and held ongoing active-shooting training for employees.

The medical center is now safe and there are no ongoing threats, the leadership added.

Authorities are conducting an ongoing investigation, the health system said.

Dallas Police Chief Eddie Garcia said on Twitter he was “outraged along with our community, at the lack of accountability, and the travesty of the fact that under this broke system, we give violent criminals more chances, than our victims.”

“The pendulum has swung too far,” the chief added.

Updated: 10/24/2022

The man who allegedly shot and killed two employees in the maternity ward of a Dallas hospital was in the building to attend the birth of his child, authorities said.

Nestor Hernandez, 30, was arrested on Saturday and is facing capital murder charges after authorities say he shot and killed two employees at the Methodist Dallas Medical Center, the Dallas Police Department said.

Police responded to the hospital at about 11 a.m. after receiving reports of an active shooting, the Methodist Health System said in a statement.

A Methodist Health System Police officer confronted and shot the suspect, the hospital system said. Hernandez was detained, stabilized and taken to another hospital for treatment, the statement added.

https://www.dallasnews.com/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/us/dallas-hospital-shooting-suspect-monday/index.html

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Dallas Hospital Shooting

The most frequent Code Grey (combative, violent) at my work is in the emergency department and labor and delivery. Why L&D? Because when something goes badly for mother or baby it gets ugly very quickly and someone in the family, usually a male, flips out. Code Silver means there is a gun or weapon of some sort.

😢
Respected Contributor

WFAA News 8

DALLAS

Who is Nestor Hernandez, the man charged with capital murder in the fatal shootings of two Methodist Hospital employees?

Who is Nestor Hernandez?

According to his Facebook page, Hernandez attended W.T. White High School in North Dallas of the Dallas Independent School District.

Hernandez appeared in Dallas County courts on multiple charges as a young man -- including a 2012 robbery conviction and a 2009 delinquent conduct constituting the felony offense of assault of a public servant -- before ultimately accepting a plea deal on an aggravated robbery charge he faced in 2015. 

A first-degree felony, aggravated robbery charges carry sentences of five to 99 years or life in prison, as well as an optional fine not to exceed $10,000. 

Per his plea agreement in the aggravated assault -- dated September 15, 2015 -- Hernandez was given eight years in prison for pleading guilty to the charges.

According to DPD, Hernandez was out on parole at the time of the shooting on Saturday and wearing an active ankle monitor. 

The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) confirms Hernandez was released on parole on Oct. 20, 2021.

Why was Nestor Hernandez incarcerated?

According to an indictment, Hernandez and an accomplice named Selena Villatoro were arrested on January 17, 2015, on charges of aggravated robbery.

Per the indictment, Hernandez and Villatoro were suspected of approaching a woman as she entered her North Dallas apartment, striking her in the back of the head, pulling her to the ground by her hair, putting their hands around her throat, telling her "Don't scream or I'll kill you!" and demanding that she open the door to her apartment.

The indictment further adds that, once they forced their way inside the apartment, the suspects told the victim, "Don't look at us or we'll kill you!" before striking her again, demanding property and money and scouring the apartment for valuables.

As the suspects "ransacked" the victims apartment, the indictment continues, the victim found a knife on the floor and attempted to defend herself, leading to a struggle over the knife before the victim was struck again and forced into the bathroom, her hands tied together and her eyes covered with tape. 

Per the indictment, the suspects took a cellphone, a car, $3,000 in cash from a school fundraiser and other documents from the victim before leaving the apartment.

According to the indictment, Hernandez and Villatoro were arrested in a different part of town later that day on unrelated charges of public intoxication and traffic ticket warrants.

The affidavit notes that the suspects were driving the victim's car at the time of that arrest, and that officers recovered backpacks, cash and other property identified as belonging to the victim, although the suspects maintained all of it belonged to them.

While being interrogated, the indictment says, Villatoro confessed to injecting heroin earlier in the evening. 

Both Hernandez and Villatoro later pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated assault for the January 17, 2015 complaint. According to their plea agreements, Hernandez was given eight years in prison for his plea, and Villatoro was given five years.

Why was Nestor Hernandez at Methodist Hospital on Saturday?

According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by WFAA, Hernandez went to the hospital to visit his girlfriend, who had given birth to their child. 

The warrant stated that Hernandez then began "acting strangely" and accused his girlfriend of cheating on him. The suspect started searching the room to see if anyone else was in there, according to the warrant. Hernandez then pulled out a handgun and hit his girlfriend multiple times in the head with it, the affidavit said.

Per the warrant, Hernandez then started making "ominous" calls and text messages to his family, and told his girlfriend, "We are both going to die today" and "whoever comes in this room is going to die with us."

The warrant stated that the first victim then entered the room and was fatally shot by Hernandez.

According to the warrant, the second victim and a Methodist Hospital police officer were in the hallway and heard the gunshot. The warrant stated that the second victim then looked into the room to see the first victim's body, and was also fatally shot by Hernandez. 

The officer then took cover and shot Hernandez in the right leg, according to the warrant. Hernandez was then detained and taken to another hospital for treatment. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
The most frequent Code Grey (combative, violent) at my work is in the emergency department and labor and delivery. Why L&D? Because when something goes badly for mother or baby it gets ugly very quickly and someone in the family, usually a male, flips out. Code Silver means there is a gun or weapon of some sort.

😢

I'm sorry you have to live through all of that @bikerbabe .  I hope that mother and baby are fine, but I haven't read anything about why this man went ballistic inside the hospital just yet.  I hope you stay safe as you work with others to help make them better.

Valued Contributor

Wonder how he got the gun?

Esteemed Contributor

Out on parole. Pretty much sums it up. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

And where are the metal detectors to get into the hospital and especially the maternity ward?

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover 

I really don't care to know anything about an alleged murderer, but the National Media seems to think I do. 

What do I know about the victims? In this case, the last I heard was they were 2 nurses working in/on the baby delivery floor. If there is a background in which I am I interested, it is not the alleged killer.

I understand getting to root causes, but I am more interested on the more immediate solutions. Blame this blame that does nothing but create disagreements. The main thing for sure, is to make sure those that belong in jail/prison, remain there.

One thing most every American can do if they are not happy with these types of things? It's to remember what happens in our country on 11-08-22.

hckynut 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
gertrudecloset wrote:
bikerbabe wrote:

😢

I'm sorry you have to live through all of that bikerbabe .  I hope that mother and baby are fine, but I haven't read anything about why this man went ballistic inside the hospital just yet.  I hope you stay safe as you work with others to help make them better.

The article I posted above stated..

According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by WFAA, Hernandez went to the hospital to visit his girlfriend, who had given birth to their child.  

The warrant stated that Hernandez then began "acting strangely" and accused his girlfriend of cheating on him. The suspect started searching the room to see if anyone else was in there, according to the warrant. Hernandez then pulled out a handgun and hit his girlfriend multiple times in the head with it, the affidavit said.

Per the warrant, Hernandez then started making "ominous" calls and text messages to his family, and told his girlfriend, "We are both going to die today" and "whoever comes in this room is going to die with us."

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:
gertrudecloset wrote:
bikerbabe wrote:

😢

I'm sorry you have to live through all of that bikerbabe .  I hope that mother and baby are fine, but I haven't read anything about why this man went ballistic inside the hospital just yet.  I hope you stay safe as you work with others to help make them better.

The article I posted above stated..

All of that is in my OP as well , sans the recent parolee stuff.  Doesn't explain why he shot up the place.  Accusing girlfriend of cheating is not the reason he shot those people not involved in his relationship matters.

My OP says he was there to witness the birth of his baby anyway though @golding76 .