Honored Contributor

Re: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Season 10 Premier

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I've watched and wonder why the girls do the crying when they don't make the grade.  Then the ones that Amaze me are the ones who say "All their lives they dreamed of being a DCC" Huh???  They don't have other goals or dreams?  It's not something you make a living out of as it's temporary. 

I think it's wonderful they made it their goal/dream to become a DCC!  They get SO much exposure.  It's kinda/sorta like those in the Olympics...it's not an initial $$-making process, but man, oh man...having that on a resume will open soooo many doors!    

Being a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader is something everyone, no matter what age, will recognize.  It's a worldwide icon! 

Esteemed Contributor

I had to open up this topic to read the responses in order to see if anyone beside me wondered about this show.   Would I watch it?  No.  I'd like to think that as women we could move past all this frosting, fru-fru and scripted reality shows.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I've watched and wonder why the girls do the crying when they don't make the grade.  Then the ones that Amaze me are the ones who say "All their lives they dreamed of being a DCC" Huh???  They don't have other goals or dreams?  It's not something you make a living out of as it's temporary. 

I think it's wonderful they made it their goal/dream to become a DCC!  They get SO much exposure.  It's kinda/sorta like those in the Olympics...it's not an initial $$-making process, but man, oh man...having that on a resume will open soooo many doors!    

Being a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader is something everyone, no matter what age, will recognize.  It's a worldwide icon! 

I prefer the pageants like Miss America or MIss USA, etc.  Others here slam any female exposure to get attention. 

Can't agree with your take. I know of corp.s that don't think that being a DCC is something that would land you a job.  In fact, the opposite.  Doesn't open as many doors here in L.A. as we have the movie industry here and oodles of lovely gals competing for things. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

I have watched the show for many years.  I always enjoy seeing the journey of the selected girls.  It's sad when some get cut at the last minute.  I think Kelli and Judy do a great job, but I wouldn't want it.  It's tough to have to cut people.  Anyway, I DO really enjoy the show and look forward to this season.

Honored Contributor

I have watched every season of this show.  I am shocked that Kelli graduated from high school in 1983.  I thought she was older than that. 

I think the whole idea of cheerleading beyond college is ridiculous but I do admire the stamina and work ethic of these women.  Many of them hold a full time job or are in college plus practice hours on end in hopes of making this squad.  Sometimes it's 10:30 at night and they are still practicing. 

It's obvious that the DCC organization has higher standards than most.  Look at how many women have tried out for the squad that were cheerleaders for other professional sports teams and they don't make the DCC. 

These women are only making $150.00 per home game and they don't get paid for any of the rehearsal time, etc. 

I don't get the big whoop with this being on their resume or what kind of door this opens for them though.  It wouldn't be impressive to me and I can't imagine how many potential business employers would be that impressed by this. 

Honored Contributor

This has been on TV for ten years?  I had no idea this was a show.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I love the show and still live 80 miles from Dallas and a lot of my friends back in the 80's went on to the squad.  Kelly the Directer graduated high school in 1983 with my cousin here in Lindale Texas.  (Miranda Lambert' hometown).  Kim and Kelly were both in the band but Kim only went on the the Apache Bells then A&M.  She said it was too hard keeping her thighs small enough for the half-time show.

Cannot wait for the new season!!

Wow!  So some of the girls you'll see at the audition tonight might be the daughters of the 80's cheerleaders, yes?!   Keep your eyes peeled!! 

Well I am not going to let this post make me feel "old" since tomorrow we are celebrating my one and only grandchild, Gwen's 1st birthday!!  I am too excited about the day at the pool for her special day to think about daugher's of the 80s!!  HA! HA!

Even with my son at 32 it is still hard to believe that much time as gone by. 

I will be watching, thanks for the Heads Up.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I didn't realize this had been on for 10 years either.  Holy cow.

I DVR'd it from last night so I've only seen about 10 minutes of it so far.  It really has changed from the beginning seasons.  In the beginning it was all about the tryouts, the makeovers, the interviews, etc. 

Now they have begun to get more into the girls' backgrounds, living/moving situations, work, etc. 

It's becoming less "real" to me but I still enjoy it.  Some of the ladies who try out are a hoot if it's real.  OMG they cannot dance at all.  Some of them are just hot messes.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have watched every season of this show.  I am shocked that Kelli graduated from high school in 1983.  I thought she was older than that. 

I think the whole idea of cheerleading beyond college is ridiculous but I do admire the stamina and work ethic of these women.  Many of them hold a full time job or are in college plus practice hours on end in hopes of making this squad.  Sometimes it's 10:30 at night and they are still practicing. 

It's obvious that the DCC organization has higher standards than most.  Look at how many women have tried out for the squad that were cheerleaders for other professional sports teams and they don't make the DCC. 

These women are only making $150.00 per home game and they don't get paid for any of the rehearsal time, etc. 

I don't get the big whoop with this being on their resume or what kind of door this opens for them though.  It wouldn't be impressive to me and I can't imagine how many potential business employers would be that impressed by this. 

I agree.  I don't see this is a big door opener...  I watched one season and it was fun, but that was enough.  I catch it sporadically but don't follow it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Think of it as a Club where, every year, 36 members are given a key. After an end of a designated period, you have to give that 'key' back. You can forever say you were 'in the club', but you don't have a permanent key....you're not grandfathered in.

You could also equate it to being an Olympic gold medal winner...there's only 4 for every sport every year. You're in a special 'club' with very few members.

If I was a recruiter & I saw those accolades on a resume, I would see that as dedication & focus at a young age. That's something money can't buy.