Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Good Friday

Hello my friends! Going to Mass tonight for Holy Thursday – maybe a lot of you are too? Today’s blessings – got my new glasses – we treated ourselves to a dairy queen, just spending the day together is a blessing! It’s very windy out. Temp is around 60 but so windy!!
Wishing your Holy Week to be Holy!
Be a little kinder and gentler today, for this will show your real strength.
Lord, may I become more patient and have the courage to live my life
according to the example You set forth.
S C R I P T U R E F O R T H E D A Y

"Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you through
prophecy with the laying on of hands by the council of elders.
Put these things into practice, devote yourself to them, so that all may see
your progress. Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching;
continue in these things, for in doing this you will save both yourself and
your hearers." ~1 Timothy 4:14-16

M E D I T A T I O N F O R T H E D A Y

Each day is a day of progress, steady progress forward, if we make it so.
We may not see it, but God does. God does not judge by outward appearance.
God judges by the heart. We can let God see in our heart a simple desire to
always do God's will. Though we may feel that our work has been spoiled or
tarnished, God can see it as an offering for God. When climbing a steep
hill, a person is often more conscious of the weakness of his stumbling feet
than of the view, the grandeur, or even of the upward progress.

P R A Y E R F O R T H E D A Y

I pray that I may persevere in all good things. I pray that I may advance
each day in spite of my stumbling feet.
Scripture Reflection by Patrick Carnevale
Today's readings 4/2/15
Ex.2:1-8, 11-14; Ps.116:12-13, 15-18; 1Cor.11:23-26; Jn.13:1-15
In our Gospel today we hear Jesus remind us that He has "given you a model to follow...so as I have done for you, you should also do". Deep down inside I think we all want to imitate that "Model", unfortunately "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"(Mt.26:41), and it's important to remember that whenever we find ourselves overwhelmed with guilt when we come up short of our goals. Today we commemorate the Institution of the Eucharist, the Feast of Our Lord's Body and Blood that we celebrate "in remembrance of Me" just as He instructed His disciples to do "on the night He was betrayed" over 2000 years ago, and what really struck me as significant in St.Paul's words to the Corinthians was how in sharing this Sacred Feast we actually "proclaim the Death of Our Lord". It's something we find very easy to do at mass but extremely difficult to do in our everyday lives, all because it requires entering into His Passion and Death in ways that are unpleasant and often mysterious to us. The truth is the Cup of Suffering that Jesus endured for us is the "Model" we are being challenged us to imitate, not just in our private lives but in public as well, and only those who are willing to humble themselves before others truly understand the significance of all that. The opportunity to model the Life of Christ in public presents itself to us in all sorts of ways, let us pray for the grace to take advantage of those opportunities as often as God's Grace allows.
God bless you,
In Jesus – Pat

April 2

I have promised to meet all your needs according to My glorious riches. Your deepest, most constant need is for My Peace. I have planted Peace in the garden of your heart, where I live; but there are weeds growing there too: pride, worry, selfishness, unbelief. I am the Gardener, and I am working to rid your heart of those weeds. I do My work in various ways. When you sit quietly with Me, I shine the Light of My Presence directly into your heart. In this heavenly Light, Peace grows abundantly and weeds shrivel up. I also send trials into your life. When you trust Me in the midst of trouble, Peace flourishes and weeds die away. Thank Me for troublesome situations; the Peace they can produce far outweighs the trials you endure.

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
—Philippians 4:19

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
—2 Corinthians 4:17 – From Jesus Calling

Being Christ's follower is a lifestyle!

<center> "ASSURANCE"

"they shall never perish"..........John 10:27-29
"yet shall he live"..........John 11:25,26
"is passed from death unto life"..........John 5:24
"neither death, nor life...shall...separate us"..........Romans 8:38,39
"an inheritance incorruptible"..........1 Peter 1:4

<center> "WHEN FACED WITH TEMPTATIONS"

"tempation...is common to man"..........1 Corinthians 10:13
"the devil...seeking whom...devour"..........1 Peter 5:8,9
"the man that endureth temptation"..........James 1:12
"i have overcome the world"..........John 16:33
"do all things through Christ".......... Philippians 4:13

<center> "IF SIN OCCUR"

"If we confess our sin"..........1 John 1:9
"return unto the Lord"..........Isaiah 55:7
"a contrite heart...wilt not despise"..........Psalm 51:17
"seek my face, and turn"..........2 Chronicles 7:14

<center> "LIVING AS A CHRISTIAN"

"desire...milk of the word"..........1 Peter 2:2
"Thy word have I hid in mine heart"..........Psalm 119:11
"were written for our learning"..........Romans 3:16,17
Study to show thyself approved"..........2 Timothy 2:15

<center> "PRAYER"

"by prayer and supplication"..........Philippians 4:6,7
"ye shall ask"..........John 15:7
"And when thou prayest"..........Matthew 6:5-15
"Praying always with all prayer"..........Ephesians 6:18
"Take ye heed, watch and pray"..........Mark 13:33

Suffering because we are Christians may tempt us to forsake our faith. Memory of past experiences can give us courage to face present persecution. Christian endurance is never complete until our Master returns. We can trust Him. His reward justifies all the suffering we must endure.
Read Hebrews 10:32-39.

</center> </center> </center> </center> </center>
Super Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Good Friday

Good Friday brings back so many memories. I, along with many of my childhood friends, always dreaded Good Friday because we had a custom where there was a crucifix placed on the step to the altar, and we had to crawl up on our knees to get to the crucifix from the back of the church and kiss the hands and feet of Jesus on the cross. Some people just walked and knelt three times in honor of the times Christ fell carrying the cross. I don't know if this was done in our church only or in others. I found it to be more humiliating than humbling and glad it stopped long before I married and left that particular church. I think that sometimes traditions/customs should be evaluated to see if they are really necessary or just a detrimental part of the past.

However, we used to visit nine churches on Holy Thursday. Groups of us would walk with our mothers usually (fathers were at work) and visit all nine. Luckily we had so many churches in our area that we really didn't have to walk miles and miles. That was one of the nicer traditions.

I also remember that we used to cover the statues in church during Holy Week, but I really don't know of any churches in our area who do that anymore.

Didn't mean to be a downer about Good Friday. I am sure we all have memories of different customs for the holidays, some we cherish more than others.

Trusted Contributor

appy Good Friday to all here. I am going to church with my friend. I just got off the phone with her. I hope you all have a blessed day in the Lord. Christ died for each of us. What a great God we serve.

Julie, look in your out box. I'm sending you a message.

Have a good day.

Honored Contributor

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Regular Contributor

Hello Gloriajean, I don't post much anymore on the boards since there's so much meanness, but I read your daily threads though and wanted to post, I reckon Easter's a good time for Fellowship, so Blessings to Everybody in our Holy Season. :-) <3

Esteemed Contributor

Hello to All!

For those that observe I pray peace for your hearts.

As a non-observer I look to this day and every day with gratitude and appreciation. We have nice sunny weather with blue skies. I did much needed yard work to access how my shrubs will do with mandatory water rationing of sort. I will have a challenge or two. I really need to go out and about today to get some things done. Enjoy your holiday everyone.

Be at peace. Know you are loved.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

shorelady - I don't remember all those things, but we did have the statues covered up during holy week, that I remember, and also no holy water in the fountains all Lent until Holy Saturday Night. You too? Now we do every day of the year! Thanks for sharing about this!! Maybe where I live they didn't do all those things you mentioned.

Julie - nice graphic.

Bobbiesue - May your Holy Week be blessed!

Anika - so true! It is finished! He died for us all!! Thanks for the graphic.

PatsyCline - So glad you decided to post there today!! It's so true of all the meanness on the boards, I have no idea why! Do come again and post here, okay? Would love to have you and get to know you.

Love Roses - thanks for your kind words - and I'm anxious to get out and do some yard work! Too cold yet.