Honored Contributor

Re: Dad's Way Over The Top Request

[ Edited ]

That is a perversion of the tradition some of my daughters friends have since they are all having babies...it is a meal calendar one of the moms....not the mom-to-be or the father....posts online and everyone signs up for a day and what they will be bringing for dinner that day...everyone in her group can see it...so she doesn’t end up with meat loaf five days in a row....the food is not left in a cooler! It is delivered at the time on the calendar...so the mom will be expecting it. Always an entree such as ham or casserole...easy for dad to manage.  Having a meal delivered from a restaurant or buying something ready-made is just fine also....
The dad the OP is citing should be horse-whipped if it was serious....imho!

Honored Contributor

Unbelievable.......

Esteemed Contributor

I had two kids, born two years apart. I was in my early 20s. My mother lived 150 miles away. My in-laws and my husband were too involved in running a family business to be of much help. I was on my own but I managed. There were no meal trains, no neighbors, and no guidebooks except for Dr Spock. Somehow I muddled through. It seems to me that this couple should have thought long and hard about starting a family BEFORE they started having a family. That’s what grown-ups do.

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde   My husband said pretty much the same thing.  He feels he did his part, the fun part.  That only means you fathered a child, what comes after makes you a father.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Meal trains are common around here, but usually a family member or close friend sets it up. It's kind of like a shower. The recipient doesn't organize it or send out requests, but I'm sure they are providing input.

I was asked to make meals for a friend whose parents were ill and for a neighber whose parent had passed away (they had 2 young kids).

It's definitely tacky that he's setting this up and making demands. lol

It's VERY tacky to expect people (even friends & family) to provide more than a week's worth of select meals!!!  My goodness!  Many of us have had babies and managed.  If he doesn't have the help of a grandparent then why not just order take out a few nights?!!

I can understand if one of them were seriously ill but I think he's just expecting too much.  He needs to grow up quickly!...he's about to become a parent.

Honored Contributor

I guess he will be saving money on groceries if everyone complies..It sounds like he is used to being catered to...good luck with that

Honored Contributor

My Mother was at home in hospice with cancer for 9 months and no one brought us a single meal. I cooked and my Mom loved pizza so we got that delivered once a week.

Welcome to the reality of fatherhood Dad.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

Boo Hoo!  If he's not joking I feel sorry for the baby.  Why not start cooking now and putting meals in the freezer.  Also, maybe he could cook a few meals after his wife and baby come home from the hospital.  What a concept!   lol 

Honored Contributor

This made me think of when I had my son 30+ years ago. I had a cesarean section. I came home from the hospital on Saturday. And both my in laws and my parents came to Easter dinner at my house the next day. Forgot how many brothers and sisters were at the meal. My husband and I prepared almost everything. My Dad made a pecan pie for dessert.

By then is was the tradition that I made dinner for every holiday. 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

Boo Hoo!  If he's not joking I feel sorry for the baby.  Why not start cooking now and putting meals in the freezer.  Also, maybe he could cook a few meals after his wife and baby come home from the hospital.  What a concept!   lol 

He probably doesn't know how to cook, there are men who still grow up that way.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"