Honored Contributor

Re: Dad made us promise we wouldn't put Mom in a home

@KarenQVC wrote:

I have seen that Britestar ad a zillion times and each time I think, "What A Load Of Manure." 

It speaks to the irrational fears some have about a residential facility.

I don't pay attention to commercials; most stuff I watch is DVR'd and I scroll thru commercials. Haven't seen that one.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I have seen that Britestar ad a zillion times and each time I think, "What A Load Of Manure." 

It speaks to the irrational fears some have about a residential facility.

I don't pay attention to commercials; most stuff I watch is DVR'd and I scroll thru commercials. Haven't seen that one.

@JustJazzmom

I have seen it, but rarely, and definitely not enough to have it come to mind re this thread. People don't seem to realize that what commercials they see depends on what part of the country they live in and *what channels and specific programs they watch.* Not everyone sees the same ads. And when I DVR, I zoom through all ads, besides. In my area, I see/hear the "Home For Mom" ad much more.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've seen the Home for Mom commercials where I live but they are on a NJ channel. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I first thought of the commercial when I saw the title, but then the commercial wasn't mentioned in the OP.  So people weren't commenting on the intended question of is that a "fair" request to make; they commented on the personal decision (they thought was) facing the OP.

Edited because one sentence made no sense Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I do not like that commercial!   

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen the commercial.  if I made a promise, I'd do my best to honor it.

Honored Contributor

We can't promise things like this because we don't know if our own health will bear keeping an aging or sick loved one at home. We don't know if they may live so long that we too will be old and worn out, totally physically or financially unable to keep that promise.

What I have promised (myself) is that I will do everything in my power at the time, to not put my mom in a home, because she doesn't want to be in one. If I have the ability to keep her out of such a place I will do it. But I can't make promises like that, when I have no or little control over what my own situation might be should that time come. 

I would wish that more people would keep their loved ones out of facilities for as long as they can, but the reality today is that many people have no intention of doing so regardless of their ability to do so.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

The title of your thread is very misleading. Obviously people don't read all the responses either 

I did not find the title of this thread misleading nor the 2 word comment that was posted by the OP. I have never and have no plans to change my method of posting, which is that I never read any of the responding posts until after I add my post. Some prefer to do it other ways, but that is their choice, same as it is mine.

I read what the OP of this thread said in their post: "Your Thoughts"

My post was/is my thoughts of the title of this thread.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Goodness!  Who knows the future?

Honored Contributor

Hi @Trinity11,

All the tv I watch are recorded via our DVR, so I do not see and ads or commercials other than the few I see that might interest me with fast scanning through them.

I went with the title of the thread feeling that it was something happening to @Lila Belle  family, hence her mother. It doesn't bother me in the least that it was not her personal life decision th have to make. In fact I was happy to see it wasn't this terrible that she, maybe along with siblings, would have make.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, I always reply to posts without reading what others might have said. As you know, many of my posts are talking about my many different personal experiences in my life. I find it much easier to be able to stick to what I have to say without having read what others may have said about something I consider to be a serious topic.

At times in some threads I am repeating what others have said, but that does not happen often enough for me to want to change my way of adding a reply to a thread. I would have not known that this was some type of tv ad, had I not read your post, but I do not feel taken advantage of by @Lila Belle because I chose to respond with my personal experience at time right before the death of my much loved Mother-in-Law, may she rest in peace.

Wishing you the best everything,

JOhn  (hckynut)

hckynut(john)