Honored Contributor

Re: DRIVERLESS CARS Will Face Moral Dilemmas

My son-in-law's brother has a Tesla.  It easily goes to 100 MPH.  He lives in Silicon Valley and my son-in-law says he's lucky to get to 55-60 with the trafic like it is.  

I just bought a 2016 Acura MDX SUV with every option on it.  It has something that tells you when a car is coming next to you in the blind spot.  It also has something that will gently bring the car back into the lane should I drift off of the lane.

There are other things it has but when I saw this I thought about my car.  It does not have a gear shift but buttons you push.  I don't need a key to get into my car or start it as long as I have the key fob nearby.

I wasn't very happy about the key thing because technically you can leave the car and it will stay running.  A car manufacturer is being sued now because a man's elderly parents left the car running in the garage and he found them dead in the house.

However, I always have the radio on, so I know when I turn the car off.  My son-in-law has a similar car and he said his mother wasn't used to it and she went into the store with it running.

Anyway, my point is I have never used my cruise control and never intend to.  I know my limits on driving a car (I cannot do anything but give the car my total attention).  I know some people think they can, I KNOW I can't.  

I think, unfortunately, there will be people who buy these cars who ignore all of the safety rules when driving any car (not just driverless cars).  

There will always be people who think they know more than anyone else.

I can turn off both (or the other 'additions') I mentioned if I want to but because I use my turn signals every time and don't drift I see these additions as a plus.  I would probably feel differently if the car was constantly being pulled in a direction.

It is impossible to stop improvements in life.

Honored Contributor

This is the most stupid idea yet.  On NBC news last night was a story of a driverless car not seeing the big white side of an 18 wheeler and plowed right under it killing the occupant.

Who do you sue?  The driverless car?

I can't see auto insurance companies ever insuring these vehicles.  Well, maybe they will for $10,000 a month premium!!

This is an invention with no purpose other than to allow the occupants to watch movies, use their tech devices, and take a nap. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Self-driving vehicles are what the auto industry is focusing on. Certainly there will be complications to iron out but it's the future of transportation. There's no avoiding it.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

This is the most stupid idea yet.  On NBC news last night was a story of a driverless car not seeing the big white side of an 18 wheeler and plowed right under it killing the occupant.

Who do you sue?  The driverless car?

I can't see auto insurance companies ever insuring these vehicles.  Well, maybe they will for $10,000 a month premium!!

This is an invention with no purpose other than to allow the occupants to watch movies, use their tech devices, and take a nap. 

The Tesla story was already referenced in this thread several times @LilacTree. Re: the purpose, the article in my OP explains these might be safer than drivers making all the decisions. We need to do something since we can't convince hardheaded people of real and present fatal dangers of distracted driving. Imo.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but IMO, this is just a brand new form of STUPID!!

Just because the auto industry CAN create a "driverless car"  doesn't mean they SHOULD.   

SOMEONE should be in charge and be responsible when a 4,000 pound vehicle goes off into traffic.    This whole concept is beyond stupid!!!

Super Contributor

I'd rather have a flying car like George Jetson.Robot Happy

Trusted Contributor

My husband has driven several of these cars.  He said that you always have to have your hand on a control or on the wheel of the car.  If your hand comes off, the car comes to a stop.  And, you always have the ability to take control of the car yourself.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

My husband has driven several of these cars.  He said that you always have to have your hand on a control or on the wheel of the car.  If your hand comes off, the car comes to a stop.  And, you always have the ability to take control of the car yourself.

If you have to constantly be on the alert in case the self-driving car makes an error, what's the point in the first place??

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

As someone here said, there's no avoiding this trend.  We'll just have to get used to it, and wish on our lucky stars that teens and others will 'pay more attention'.   They are already programmed to not pay attention because of texting, but just maybe if we wish and hope hard enough.............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snowpuppy:  Yes, it looks as though it's going that way..........decisions being made for us.  Step by step, 'little by little', it's the way of the future.  The less we think, the more...........well, you know the rest.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).