Honored Contributor

Re: DRIVERLESS CARS Will Face Moral Dilemmas

I don't even like to use cruise control.  I think a driver needs to concentrate on driving the car. 

The Tesla driver who was killed, was watching a Harry Potter movie!

Super Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Snowpuppy:  Yes, it looks as though it's going that way..........decisions being made for us.  Step by step, 'little by little', it's the way of the future.  The less we think, the more...........well, you know the rest.

It's not a conspiracy. Reading the articles it appears to be an attempt to make roads safer. 

Super Contributor

@september wrote:

I don't even like to use cruise control.  I think a driver needs to concentrate on driving the car. 

The Tesla driver who was killed, was watching a Harry Potter movie!

All these distractions in cars are nuts imo. Drivers need to concentrate on driving. 

Honored Contributor

@charvale

I apologize that I repeated something that had already been posted.  A thunderstorm started and I was rushing to finish my post and didn't stop to read all of the posts.  I usually make it a point to read an entire thread before I post.  Again, I am sorry.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Not a 'conspiracy', just the 'way of the world' right now.   Less and less people's control of themselves.  Nobody or nothing else to blame but ourselves (as a society), being so addicted to devices and unaware of our surroundings, more or less.  'Look around, be more aware' is always a good motto now-a-days (and actually always: past, present, and future). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Just another 'toy' for some folks.  Wishing the company luck and safety.  It's really up to us drivers to keep an eye on the road, no matter what; no matter what contraption is driving the car.  As long as there is an instant manual feature, and as long as the human driver is paying attention........(Unfortunately I don't see that happening very soon because I see way too many young people (and older, too) looking down while walking across the street, driving, etc.  It's (texting) an addiction, imo. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Thankfully, I don't drive anymore.  But I always worry about my family members who drive every day in seriously crowded traffic . . . now they don't only have to be aware of the guy next to them, or in front or back of them . . . they have to keep their concentration on cars that are driving themselves???

The whole concept is ridiculous.  Next will be buses, trains and other public transportation using this "technology." After all, they won't have drivers to pay.  And what if the big 18 wheelers start to use this technology too?  They already cause most of the traffic deaths on our highways.  They have to brake yards and yards before cars do.  Will they be able to "see" when cars in their lane are slowing down?

I just can't see the upside of this supposed "increased safety."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

These are a bad idea imho. Educate people and ban cell phones in cars!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm always hinting to moms and grandmoms to encourage the younsters to 'think'.   The thinkers will rule the world in the not too distant future.  All of the rest will be non-thinking followers.  (Hopefully the thinkers will be good natured Heart, and wishing them and everyone else well.  That's about all we can do for now. ..............p.s.  The grandmoms around here are wonderful; their grandchildren/toddlers know two languages and are very, very observant.  We see the grandmoms walking the toddlers and youngsters around the blocks daily.   They always blow kisses to our walking group.  So cute, and nobody has to tell them to, either.   Warms my heart.  Heart