Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Available at Macy’s. Dress is a size 7 and model is 5’10,” so the length should be longer on your daughter97FF43AD-53ED-4A85-AEB2-1EB4F8A1ECDF.jpeg6DE2BE5C-2856-4E71-B98E-525342114102.jpeg

It's a nice dress but I don't think it's something a teenager would like. 

It’s from the Juniors Department.

This dress is very long.

The young girls I see out are wearing dresses several inches shorter than this one.  Even if the model's were fingertip length here it would be longer than what I see these days.

Honored Contributor

That navy  dress length looks appropriate for a young girl to me.  Some girls do not like to show off too much and in many families, they are not allowed to wear dresses that are super short.

At the tender age of 14 parents are still in charge or should be.  They are paying for and need to approve their children's attire.

I have two teen granddaughters. One just turned 15 last week and the other one is 17.  Both girls are modest.  The 17 year old will not even wear sleeveless or tank tops, her choice.  She usually wears boys t shirts because they are cut better and not so short.  She has worn boy's shorts too to avoid all the daisy dukes.

The younger one is endowed like Dolly Parton.   She won't wear tight, low cut or see through tops.  I just bought her two camisoles so she can wear under white and light colored tops.  She covers up with sweatshirts most of the time.

It is so difficult to buy clothing for young modest girls today that are stylish and pretty. It's usually a choice of granny or hoochie mama clothing.  

Honored Contributor

What sensible comments, @Carmie.  I agree that parents can have input and influence on a young teen's clothing--  that kind of guidance is vital.

Honored Contributor

Re: DRESS LENGTH FOR TWEENS

[ Edited ]

I am only guessing but I think a young 14 may be she is a bit immature, maybe more shy than her friends....still wants/ needs more guidance than a 'typical' 14 year old. We all mature at different times.

I like the dress shown, it's a tad longer....I am not a fan of the super, short length dress....I am not a prude...I just think a bit longer looks nicer.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy DMy granddaughters would call that outfit a church dress.  Something to wear to church. Smiley LOL None are teens yet.  A few more yrs to go.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

If you think it will be too short, it is.  You are te best judge.  I live in California and tweenies are a mixed bag.  Pants and shorts.  I see alot of girls that age in maxi, or midi a line skirts with top and a bolero type jacket.  

Honored Contributor

Re: DRESS LENGTH FOR TWEENS

[ Edited ]

I wanted to add if you go to Brandy Melville there should be something there for her.  That navy dress is too old for young teenage, imo.  Girls at that age are not too careful in the leg posture dept.  lol.  Too short not good.  

I sort of see a midi or below knee a line floral skirt with polo or sleeveless top, and a light sweater, denim jacket or jersey bolero top.  Here in California they would be wearing doc martins too. Or a spaghetti strap a line dress with short crop sweater

i think at that age they don't do the dressy dress like we might at a wedding.  But fashion is often driven by the area one lives too.   As long as they are well groomed, covered properly and not in shorts, jeans they ought to be good to go. 

Regular Contributor

I feel your pain as I raised 2 daughters.  14 is a hard age as they don't want to dress like "babies" and we don't want them dressed like "hoochies".

I suggest you take her to Old Navy.  The styles are current, prices are reasonable.  The dress won't be overly fancy, but, will be decent.  Consider leggings or tights if a dress seems too short.

Good Luck.  These are tough years.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I wanted to add if you go to Brandy Melville there should be something there for her.  That navy dress is too old for young teenage, imo.  Girls at that age are not too careful in the leg posture dept.  lol.  Too short not good.  

I sort of see a midi or below knee a line floral skirt with polo or sleeveless top, and a light sweater, denim jacket or jersey bolero top.  Here in California they would be wearing doc martins too. Or a spaghetti strap a line dress with short crop sweater

i think at that age they don't do the dressy dress like we might at a wedding.  But fashion is often driven by the area one lives too.   As long as they are well groomed, covered properly and not in shorts, jeans they ought to be good to go. 

@shoekitty   I never heard of Brandy Melville, so I went to take a look.

OMG!  Here in PA, most of the dresses sold there are way too skimpy.  Maybe California girls wear them, but they would violate dress codes here and turn heads.  Yikes!  The few that are modest look like hospital gowns.

Maybe that is why we don't have that store here.  It's a different way of dressing than we have here, that's for sure.  Most of the clothing on that site would get you sent home from school to cover up.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I'm looking for a dress for my daughter to wear at a wedding.  Are the styles now that the length of the dress is several inches above the knee?  When I look on line and see them on the models, it looks so short to me and that it's a size or two too small.  I've always gotten her dresses that fall just slightly above the knee.  No, I'm not being a prude.  The girls look lovely but it's just so short.  What's your opinions?

It’s not just length that should be considered here.Almost all the junior dresses at Macy’s we’re body hugging dresses they call bodycon which are inappropriate for a wedding or to be worn in a religious setting. These dresses look like the dresses Kelly Bundy used to where on “Married With Children.” These bodycon dresses might work for an older teen going to a party or on a date but they don’t work for a wedding.