Honored Contributor

I agree, the teen dresses are way too short.  Some are inches from showing panties

I told my granddaughter that I would buy her a new dress to wear to her 8th grade graduation last spring. What I time we had finding something suitable!  

She is only about 5'3" and I can't imagine what the taller girls have to do to find something.  To make matters worse, she is busty...wearing a DD cup size. Some dresses were cut too low as well.

I found two dresses at Macy's that she could wear and bought them both.  They could be a bit longer, but they were more of a modest length than most.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy :  One option is to go to a store (ex. Nordstroms) that has a "personal shopper" service.  Give the personal shopper your criteria and see what she comes up with.  Just the experience of going to such a store, and being catered to might be better for your daughter than going to Disneyland!

Respected Contributor

I don't think you said how tall your daughter is, but sometimes the dresses in catalogs/internet look very short because the models are very tall.  

Good luck choosing a dress.  Moms walk a thin line between not enough and too much interference in these cases.  Hope you can come up with something you both love.

Honored Contributor

Fingertip length for a young girl at a wedding is appropriate. 

Honored Contributor

The dresses my 5'3" granddaughter tried on were way, way shorter than finger tip length.

There were so short that she was very uncomfortable just trying them on. Definitely inapproperiate.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy  Did you ask her to show some examples of what she might like?  Have her show you online.  Usually by around 5th grade most are already choosing their clothing- many younger.   If there are disagreements give a little and she probably will work with you to find something.  I know when I was around that age, mini skirts were in and my normally conservative mother didn't insist on her choices.  She was one who chose her battles.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

She's 14, but a young 14.

@ScrapHappy 

Ok, maybe I am behind the times........

What is the difference between a tween & teenager and at what age does either start? confused.gif

What is a "young" 14? Do you mean she's immature, not fully developed &/or acts more like she's 10? confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

What is the difference between a tween & teenager and at what age does either start? confused.gif

What is a "young" 14? Do you mean she's immature, not fully developed &/or acts more like she's 10? confused.gif

@Mz iMac 

Teenager = age 13 through 19

Tween = age 10, 11 & 12

A "young" 14, I don't get either.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

@Mz iMac 

Teenager = age 13 through 19

Tween = age 10, 11 & 12

A "young" 14, I don't get either.

A call her a young 14 because she is a bit immature for her age.  Not into the clothes or boys as much as others, still likes Disney channel and building (very difficult) Legos.  She's also in 8th grade, not 9th like she should because she was born very premature (considered a micro preemie) weighing 1.7 lbs so she had a lot of catching up to do.  She's tiny for her age, she always will be and that's just fine. 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy"building (very difficult) Legos."

Sounds like a future architect to me. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous032819  Thanks for the explaination.  I just never heard that term before-tween.  In my world a teen is any person at the age that ends w/teen.  A 12 yr old in my world is considered a pre-teen. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif