Respected Contributor

Re: DPA To Ensure Meat Plants Keep Running.

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the CDC website and read the guidelines.  The words, if feasible, consider etc. appear alot.  A bunch of wishy-washy language.

There is a lot of room to get out of what they should do to keep their workers safe.

I don't  think anyone is truly looking out for those workers.

Not the usual language in issuing a directive in the CDC. It may be that the directive was altered after it left the CDC.

@RainCityWoman      Nope, not altered..  That's the language they used.   Rachael Maddow discussed it last night on her show on MSNBC..  The change in language.   Wonder why???  I think we all know why...

Valued Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Meatpacking is one of the least desirable jobs there is. The only draw is money. Who is going to work there if they keep the places open and everyone is sick or can't afford to get their families sick? Most of the people in the communities surrounding the plants don't want to work there. No one who isn't already a meatpacker is going to volunteer to do that work. This is just asking to find a thumb in your spam can.

One worker said his life is worth more than his $15 an hour pay.  He will not return until conditions improve.

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the CDC website and read the guidelines.  The words, if feasible, consider etc. appear alot.  A bunch of wishy-washy language.

There is a lot of room to get out of what they should do to keep their workers safe.

I don't  think anyone is truly looking out for those workers.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

That's why I kept asking the question....WHERE'S THE UNION, arent they supposed to look out for the workers??????????????????

My guess is counting all of their money. 

There has been a concerted effort by big business and some law makers to weaken Unions and union protections.  It's happening in the public and private sector.  That's why we have "right to work" states.  Which simply means you have the right to work in unsafe conditions with less pay and fewer benefits.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

So what does this mean? Meat plants are forced to stay open even if staff are sick or there's an outbreak or not enough protective equipment? Are they going to provide the safety equipment to these companies and pay for employees' healthcare should they get sick?

@JJsMom, exactly.  So what that an order was signed.  Who is going to make these plants stay up and running?  What if there are no employees?  

This entire thing makes me sick to my stomach.  The amount of cows, pigs and chickens that are reportedly going to be destroyed is heart breaking as well.  

I know here in PA, many of the meat plants employed a lot of illegals because not many citizens would not work there on the line.  I won't say any more.

It is difficult and dangerous work.  The pay does adequately compensate workers.  Then there are convenient raids to round people up and the plants don't have workers.  Undocumented workers are demonized but this country would starve without them.  No one in this country wants to pick vegetables and fruits for pennies on the dollar.  Very few people want to work in these meat packing plants for $15 or less.

Honored Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Meatpacking is one of the least desirable jobs there is. The only draw is money. Who is going to work there if they keep the places open and everyone is sick or can't afford to get their families sick? Most of the people in the communities surrounding the plants don't want to work there. No one who isn't already a meatpacker is going to volunteer to do that work. This is just asking to find a thumb in your spam can.

One worker said his life is worth more than his $15 an hour pay.  He will not return until conditions improve.

Maybe the National Guard will have to work there if they can't find workers. Woman Frustrated

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

There have been dozens of horror stories concerning the meat industry, they don't give a $#%^ about their workers! Anyone remember reading  The Jungle by Upton Sinclair? Not much has changed!!!!!

Sick and dead people can't work!

The Meat Racket is another good read.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Maybe the National Guard will have to work there if they can't find workers. Woman Frustrated

I do know that my niece made $20 an hour at Dial, several years ago as a new employee.  They will pay her $19 for the temperature taking job she just was hired for.

I do not doubt that the National Guard could be called out if it came to that.

My youngest son, age 21, who I mentioned once before, was called up by the Army Reserve to a field hospital in Detroit, as part of the National Guard working with FEMA.  Yes, all 3 organizations.

He has been working dressing and doffing PPE for medical workers in the field hospital. Yes, I am a little worried about him, though the hospital has, last I heard, only 15 patients, and the word is he will be done there approximately May 19, then quarantined for 14 more days.  If he can just stay safe for the next 3 weeks!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

After seeing all the meat plant photos, I'm giving it up altogether.....

Im with you, I think this whole thing is outrageous.  Why put people lives on the line and then make sure the companies cannot be sued.  It shows where the priorties are.  I  plan to boycot meat.  This makes me angry.  Funny how fast things get done when its important to big companies.  This is disgusting.  The workers are not being taken care of.  And on top of that who really knows how safe the meat is.  Tyson was already shut down.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain  We have a major packing plant nearby. My DH worked there all through high school. He shrouded in the mornings before school and cleaned up after school. During the summer he worked on the kill floor. I asked him about the idea of National Guard. He said someone who works at a meat packing plant would need the kind of technical skills that most National Guard members don't have. BTW, he loved working at the packing plant. During college, he worked for the USDA as a meat inspector.

Right now, our local custom kill butcher shops are swamped, due to the meat shortages.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Porcelain  We have a major packing plant nearby. My DH worked there all through high school. He shrouded in the mornings before school and cleaned up after school. During the summer he worked on the kill floor. I asked him about the idea of National Guard. He said someone who works at a meat packing plant would need the kind of technical skills that most National Guard members don't have. BTW, he loved working at the packing plant. During college, he worked for the USDA as a meat inspector.

Right now, our local custom kill butcher shops are swamped, due to the meat shortages.

God bless your son. I am sure he did his best to be humane. I have a cousin who works in the industry helping to design the systems for feeding and managing the cattle. I never ever ever discuss her work with her. I know it is necessary.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr