Respected Contributor

Re: DPA To Ensure Meat Plants Keep Running.

The meat and poultry industry praised the using of the Defense Production Act to order food processing plants to stay open.

The National Chicken Council (NCC), which represents about 95 percent of the chicken produced in the U.S., including Tyson Foods, Perdue and Sanderson Farms, said the industry was “grateful” for the decision.

“While doing everything we can to keep employees safe and healthy, the biggest challenge has been inconsistencies among the states and many localities in enforcing CDC guidelines in plants that add to confusion and can lead to unnecessary shutdowns. This patchwork approach is posing grave risk to the supply chain and threatening great disruption to NCC member companies,” President Brown said in a statement, referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He added: “There must be a uniform approach across all states and we are hopeful that today’s announcement is a good first step in achieving that goal.”

The Pres. decision comes after the chairman of Tyson Foods warned that the nation's food supply was "breaking" as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. 

The company said following the executive order that it appreciates the administration’s efforts to help the food supply chain. “We remain committed to protecting the safety of our team members as we continue our efforts to keep feeding American families. The safety of our team members will remain our top priority as we work with the USDA on next steps,” a company spokesman said, referring to the Department of Agriculture. 

He added that Tyson Foods has been screening worker temperatures, requiring protective face coverings, conducting additional cleaning and sanitizing, and implementing social distancing measures.

The North American Meat Institute also said that the executive order will help “avert hardship” for producers and keep U.S. families fed.

“The safety of the heroic men and women working in the meat and poultry industry is the first priority. And as it is assured, facilities should be allowed to re-open. We are grateful to the Pres. for acting to protect our nation’s food supply chain,” CEO Julie Anna Potts said in a statement following the order. 

The NCC and the Meat Institute stressed that their industries are following CDC and Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidance for workers and are taking additional measures to keep workers safe. And the National Pork Producers Council said the industry is “thankful” for the order. “As we all work together to protect workers and the nation's food supply, we need uniform and consistent solutions and all available resources to address this unprecedented crisis." 

~thehill

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not a wise move as long as that no-liablity clause is included. I do not trust the meat companies at all. They have terrible track records.

As for the union, I'm sure that they are not happy. In fact, I heard one worker extremely upset about this mandate, for obvious reasons.

So where are the unions? I have no doubt they are scrambling right now to defend their people. I don't think that they are sitting around counting their money, as was suggested here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

All those plants,should had made it safe for workers as much as possible ,from what have read they did not, i would hate to work in one for many reasons.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

All those plants,should had made it safe for workers as much as possible ,from what have read they did not, i would hate to work in one for many reasons.

Me too. My husbands cousin works for Con Agra, they make frozen dinners. She said they are overtime now, working 13 days on for at least 9 hours a day and they are only getting the one day off. 

I know this isn't chicken or beef, but I am just wondering if a lot of the jobs that have to do with food will be working a lot of overtime. Then the employees are liable to be worn down, and more likely to have trouble fighting off this disease. 

I feel horrible for all of them. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the CDC website and read the guidelines.  The words, if feasible, consider etc. appear alot.  A bunch of wishy-washy language.

There is a lot of room to get out of what they should do to keep their workers safe.

I don't  think anyone is truly looking out for those workers.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

That's why I kept asking the question....WHERE'S THE UNION, arent they supposed to look out for the workers??????????????????

My guess is counting all of their money. 

Th

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the CDC website and read the guidelines.  The words, if feasible, consider etc. appear alot.  A bunch of wishy-washy language.

There is a lot of room to get out of what they should do to keep their workers safe.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

That's why I kept asking the question....WHERE'S THE UNION, arent they supposed to look out for the workers??????????????????

These workers are not represented by any union. Many of them are illegal workers.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

This has got to be the most stupid idea they've ever made... You know who the they is, so don't ask...   I guess they want to increase the number of deaths in the US.

Honored Contributor

There have been dozens of horror stories concerning the meat industry, they don't give a $#%^ about their workers! Anyone remember reading  The Jungle by Upton Sinclair? Not much has changed!!!!!

Sick and dead people can't work!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

The number of cases and even deaths from many of these meat plants is quite alarming, and yet no other requirements have to be met. In addition part of the order protects the company from being sued if this goes awry and they are culpable for not protecting workers,  and those who don't show up can't get unemployment compensation in this crisis. One has to wonder where the priorities are here? I guess there is just a certain part of the population who are considered to be expendable to the powers that be. It would be interesting to see what the demographics of  plant workers is in most of these plants.

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Th

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

These workers are not represented by any union. Many of them are illegal workers.

The workers nor the unions can do anything about his so-called executive order.  Go to court maybe and how long will that take...  Don't blame the employees or the unions for his screw up --  waiting 2 months to do anything... 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Not the usual language in issuing a directive in the CDC. It may be that the directive was altered after it left the CDC.