Honored Contributor

Re: DPA To Ensure Meat Plants Keep Running.

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I don't think it matters when something is already in short supply how much anyone buys.  The bottom line is that there will not be enough for everyone.

When people can't purchase something and it is finally available, they will tend to buy more than they need for immediate use because they are afraid they will not be able to get anymore.  It is a cycle.

I don't think all the problems were caused by hoarders...well, maybe the TP.

Right now in my area things that are difficult to come by are flour, yeast, rice, dried beans, jarred spaghetti sauce, canned tuna, canned salmon, cleaning supplies, dish washing soap, TP and napkins.

I don't think people are hoarding these things.  I think they are cooking more and eating at home.  They are passing the time by baking and trying new recipes.

I shop at Sams and Costco.  Sam's shelves are bare.  Costco is doing okay, but some items are limited.

Part of the problem is when one item is gone,people will substitute with another item.  For instance, if bread isn't available, people will bake it...causes a surge in flour and yeast purchases.

When there is a shortage of meat, people will buy rice and beans and seafood.  It's trickles down the food chain. There isn't one major cause.  It's a,combination of things.

A family with children and two parents who do not eat breakfast and lunch at home, now have to eat at home.  They cannot just buy what they usually do. It won't be enough.

The big issue here is not cause by hoarders. It's caused by people having a change of lifestyle and their purchasing had to change too.

BTW, we have no Instacart or any other delivery or pick up service in my area.  They are so backed up that they won't take any more orders.  Some places had four weeks away for a delivery date and they finally shut down the service.

As seniors, we have to realize that we are not alone in the world.  There are families out there trying to put food on their table with as little money as possible.  Right now the food banks are also buying more food.  The demand is different than it was pre-COVID.

@Carmie 

There was just a local investigative news story on this and a lot people did buy huge quantities in an attempt to make a buck by re-selling groceries to neighbors or selling paper and cleaning products online..... Even Store Managers saw the same people coming back every day before limitations were placed on any products....these were not shoppers for curbside or delivery companies either, because they wear special t-shirts...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Meatpacking is one of the least desirable jobs there is. The only draw is money. Who is going to work there if they keep the places open and everyone is sick or can't afford to get their families sick? Most of the people in the communities surrounding the plants don't want to work there. No one who isn't already a meatpacker is going to volunteer to do that work. This is just asking to find a thumb in your spam can.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

So what does this mean? Meat plants are forced to stay open even if staff are sick or there's an outbreak or not enough protective equipment? Are they going to provide the safety equipment to these companies and pay for employees' healthcare should they get sick?

@JJsMom, exactly.  So what that an order was signed.  Who is going to make these plants stay up and running?  What if there are no employees?  

This entire thing makes me sick to my stomach.  The amount of cows, pigs and chickens that are reportedly going to be destroyed is heart breaking as well.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the CDC website and read the guidelines.  The words, if feasible, consider etc. appear alot.  A bunch of wishy-washy language.

There is a lot of room to get out of what they should do to keep their workers safe.

I don't  think anyone is truly looking out for those workers.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

That's why I kept asking the question....WHERE'S THE UNION, arent they supposed to look out for the workers??????????????????

My guess is counting all of their money. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I don't think it matters when something is already in short supply how much anyone buys.  The bottom line is that there will not be enough for everyone.

When people can't purchase something and it is finally available, they will tend to buy more than they need for immediate use because they are afraid they will not be able to get anymore.  It is a cycle.

I don't think all the problems were caused by hoarders...well, maybe the TP.

Right now in my area things that are difficult to come by are flour, yeast, rice, dried beans, jarred spaghetti sauce, canned tuna, canned salmon, cleaning supplies, dish washing soap, TP and napkins.

I don't think people are hoarding these things.  I think they are cooking more and eating at home.  They are passing the time by baking and trying new recipes.

I shop at Sams and Costco.  Sam's shelves are bare.  Costco is doing okay, but some items are limited.

Part of the problem is when one item is gone,people will substitute with another item.  For instance, if bread isn't available, people will bake it...causes a surge in flour and yeast purchases.

When there is a shortage of meat, people will buy rice and beans and seafood.  It's trickles down the food chain. There isn't one major cause.  It's a,combination of things.

A family with children and two parents who do not eat breakfast and lunch at home, now have to eat at home.  They cannot just buy what they usually do. It won't be enough.

The big issue here is not cause by hoarders. It's caused by people having a change of lifestyle and their purchasing had to change too.

BTW, we have no Instacart or any other delivery or pick up service in my area.  They are so backed up that they won't take any more orders.  Some places had four weeks away for a delivery date and they finally shut down the service.

As seniors, we have to realize that we are not alone in the world.  There are families out there trying to put food on their table with as little money as possible.  Right now the food banks are also buying more food.  The demand is different than it was pre-COVID.

@Carmie 

There was just a local investigative news story on this and a lot people did buy huge quantities in an attempt to make a buck by re-selling groceries to neighbors or selling paper and cleaning products online..... Even Store Managers saw the same people coming back every day before limitations were placed on any products....these were not shoppers for curbside or delivery companies either, because they wear special t-shirts...

This still wouldn't cause major shortages.  If you buy somthing from your neighbor who has groceries in his garage or you go to a store, same difference, different vendor.

There are still some items that you can't find online...they just aren't available anywhere. Many companies have slowed down or stopped production of some items or closed altogether. They are having trouble getting the materials to make the stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

So what does this mean? Meat plants are forced to stay open even if staff are sick or there's an outbreak or not enough protective equipment? Are they going to provide the safety equipment to these companies and pay for employees' healthcare should they get sick?

@JJsMom, exactly.  So what that an order was signed.  Who is going to make these plants stay up and running?  What if there are no employees?  

This entire thing makes me sick to my stomach.  The amount of cows, pigs and chickens that are reportedly going to be destroyed is heart breaking as well.  

And yet, even during all this current crisis, we continue to import meat from other countries.

How about adding mandatory country of origin to labels while we're changing our food processing laws?  Right now your hamburger may have come in from another country, but because it's processed and inspected by the USDA here, that's all that's on the label.  It's assumed that its home-grown too.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

I know here in PA, many of the meat plants employed a lot of illegals because not many citizens would not work there on the line.  I won't say any more.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Let those who think a mandate to keep plants open no matter what go work there with no mandated protections and companies being released from any responsibility for the safety of their workers!

I have a large extended family, here in the Midwest, where many meat processing plants and farms are located.  Collectively as a family, we have all kinds of experiences.

My niece was recently hired by Dial Corp (owner of the Armour brand) to wave a thermometer wand over each worker entering and leaving the plant.  She had worked in the plant previously, quitting when she became a first-time mom at age 36.

Many locals around here work at Dial, and they have a pretty good reputation, as far cleanliness and sanitation goes. Clean hair-coverings, coveralls, and masks all the time.  It can be a dangerous place to work at all times - sharp machinery used in the processing of meat.

On the other hand, my former husband lasted about a week as an electrician while constructing a building for a Smithfield hog processing farm, in Missouri a few years ago.  Disgusting conditions and no santitation.  No place to go to the bathroom, and no place to wash your hands. Workers loaded into the back of a flatbed truck and hauled off miles away to the middle of nowhere. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt   I've been actively involved in union work for nearly 40 years and know first hand that while a lot of things look good on paper, probably only a few minor things will change and the workers will still be expected to work in horrendous conditions.  An executive order will ensure that what is on paper will not be enforced so plants stay open with blind eye inspections!  Employees who try to get the truth out will be harrassed to silence them so the plants stay open with the plants not held responsible for those contracting it by immunity granted them!

Honored Contributor

Based on everything else I've seen, this is more likely to be taken as an opportunity to weaken regulations and safety and sanitation standards rather than strengthen them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr