Honored Contributor

Re: DPA To Ensure Meat Plants Keep Running.

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't know for sure.  If we include all calorie sources, including soy, corn, and beets we might have enuf to get through the summer.  No one could overeat.  Might be healthier in the long run.

@KarenQVC 

In my area lots of soy bean growers have sharply reduced / stopped production due to the tariffs, which considerably limited profits.

We have a lot of issues. Our food supply is not nearly as safe and robust as it should be for a first world country. Either we all work together or we all starve together.

Regulations have been lifted so that our water and air are dirtier, this was done before the virus. Of course, now, they are lifting regs for the meat packing plants which were considerably loosened recently. They made it so that pork packing plants policed their own (that's a lot of p's together!).

I know. Pretty short sighted to make our food less safe while breeding resentment in the essential workers in charge of feeding us. I think we can all guess how this will play out.

There are many good, self-serving reasons why even an ethically challenged person knows not to tick off their waitress, doctor, au pair, cleaner, or customer service agent. I think some are going to have to re-learn those lessons first hand, unfortunately. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and you don't forget who it is that's feeding you.

And life is long. There is no such thing as a lifelong shield against being sued. These companies need to take care not to do anything they will have to answer for later when things get back to normal and people are looking for easy targets to blame. I mean, how much easier of an anger target can you get than a greedy, negligent slaughterhouse boss who sickens the town and injures the workers? "So and so said it would be okay at the time," won't cut it as an excuse.

@Porcelain 

In regard to your P# 2

“Some” people never learned those life lessons in the first place!

Sincerely hope that soon Life forces them to learn what a Huge Mistake it was for them.

I was taught that if you want to know who a person is, look at how they behave to people they think are less important than they are.

Excellent lesson from my wonderful Dad!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't know for sure.  If we include all calorie sources, including soy, corn, and beets we might have enuf to get through the summer.  No one could overeat.  Might be healthier in the long run.

@KarenQVC 

In my area lots of soy bean growers have sharply reduced / stopped production due to the tariffs, which considerably limited profits.

We have a lot of issues. Our food supply is not nearly as safe and robust as it should be for a first world country. Either we all work together or we all starve together.

Regulations have been lifted so that our water and air are dirtier, this was done before the virus. Of course, now, they are lifting regs for the meat packing plants which were considerably loosened recently. They made it so that pork packing plants policed their own (that's a lot of p's together!).

@wishmoon, and the loosening of regulations has increased since the virus. The virus, in effect, made such steps less publicized, which surely was not a coincidence.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  You are absolutely right.  If any of these people had a beating heart, and a conscience,  this thread wouldn't need to exist.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny 
@hennypenny wrote:

Tyson has had filthy dangerous working conditions for years. 

Smithfield is owned by a  Chinese company that owns most of the pork companies in our country now.

@hennypenny 

The topic here is meat processing response AFTER massive COVID19 was found in Many workers, and Before the DPA.

Not what may or may not have been the Conditions in the plants Before COVID19 & the DPA the.

Off topic.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Sorry, didn't mean to be off topic. The problem is that 

Tyson has always had dangerous and unfair working conditions and now they seem to have garnered gov blessings to continue. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hennypenny wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to be off topic. The problem is that 

Tyson has always had dangerous and unfair working conditions and now they seem to have garnered gov blessings to continue. 

@hennypenny 

Sorry, I pounced. This Just makes me SO MAD, SAD, 😡🤬

Contributor

If the DPA had been used much earlier to command US companies to make PPE, tests, testing chemicals and swabs, we might not have so many casualties nor these outbreaks in the meat industry.  I mean how hard would it be to sew paper gowns and masks and make long Q-Tips?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The meat plant workers are being thrown under the bus!  If our government and these companies want them to work, they should change their working enviroment and provide proper PPE for them to be as safe as possible, just like we try to do with our other essential workers.

Honored Contributor

890 out of 2200 workers at a Tyson plant in Indiana have tested positive in less than a week. That’s about 40%.
Valued Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Good decision to keep the plants open. Just the announcement should help to slow down panic buying in the stores. These plants are essential. Just like our healthcare workers, first responders, law enforcement, and janitors go in each and every day as a part of America’s critical infrastructure, our food supply too is also a part of our critical infrastructure. The unsung heroes out there each and every day are stocking shelves, preparing food, and making sure Americans have enough to eat. 

The essential workers at meat plants are being treated as expendable.  By making the CDC Guidelines optional every worker at these plants are put at risk.  The large comglomerates are worried about their bottom line not the safety of their workers.  If they did they would shut down their plants, disenfect them, and put in new safety features and measures.  A group of workers had to walk off the job to get one plant to make improvements.  No one wants a meat shortage but I think the workers health and safety should come first.