Honored Contributor

Re: DPA To Ensure Meat Plants Keep Running.

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

In my opinion, workers' lives are more important than ensuring a supply of meat for the rest of us.  I hope their unions are able to negotiate better working conditions.

I realize this is probably more about the industry - protecting jobs, companies, and producers - than ensuring we still have meat on our dinner plates.  But workers are entitled to protection and, lacking it, none of us should be happy about buying meat.

@ValuSkr 

Whats interesting is that these meat companies CLAIM they did talk to their employees back in February and March regarding the Virus....It sounds like there's a lot more to this story than they are telling....It looks like it involved OSHA, The Meat Companies JBS and Tyson, the Union, and hazard pay.....And long before the pandemic I had read about complaints about Tyson about their plants, treatment of workers etc.....It really seems that these early reports point the finger at these two companies and in particular Tyson...they couldnt hide behind the pandemic any longer....they took out the ad to divert attention to them and focus on the possible shortage.....I WONT BUY TYSON PRODUCTS!!!!  Ill stick to local producers!

JBS, Smithfield and Tyson all strongly defended their efforts to protect their employees from the coronavirus. Smithfield and Tyson said they started taking preventive action in February, including educating workers about covid-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. JBS said it took action in mid-March.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

I was at Walmart yesterday and people were filling their carts with various meat products. The cashier told me they were considering limiting the amount you can buy due to hoarding. Placing limitations will be necessary to hopefully ensure that everyone has food/ meat available to feed their families. The hard part is for those with large families. Limiting one package per purchase can make it difficult for them. 

The dry beans, rice, tuna, ect. isles were almost bare. Even the frozen meats were scarce. There was a sign posted that the price of eggs was going to increase and the supply would be very limited.

They need to place limits on EVERYTHING, not just toilet paper, paper towels and cleaning supplies.

Pasta and Rice - limit it to total packages not 4 spaghetti and 4 ziti and 4 penne, etc.

Eggs - limit 1 or 2 not 1 or 2 dozen of each size.

Bread - 1 bread, 1 english muffins, 1 hamburger rolls, 1 hot dog rolls. 

It's the only way there will be something left for the next person to walk down the aisle. 

Respected Contributor

So what does this mean? Meat plants are forced to stay open even if staff are sick or there's an outbreak or not enough protective equipment? Are they going to provide the safety equipment to these companies and pay for employees' healthcare should they get sick?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the CDC website and read the guidelines.  The words, if feasible, consider etc. appear alot.  A bunch of wishy-washy language.

There is a lot of room to get out of what they should do to keep their workers safe.

I don't  think anyone is truly looking out for those workers.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

That's why I kept asking the question....WHERE'S THE UNION, arent they supposed to look out for the workers??????????????????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Unfortunately the executive order made safety measures optional so the workers have no sense of safety. There is also pending legislation to exempt companies from liability for sickness occuring at their worksite. Don't we all have a responsibility to each other to keep our society safe? Is my access to meat worth someones life.

@chessylady 

Since two weeks ago they've been ordered to wear masks and practice social distancing after the DPA received complaints....

@Spurt,  the DPA is not an agency so could not have received complaints.  The Defense Production Act (DPA) of 1950 is a federal provision that allows the government to marshal the private sector to ramp up production of certain supplies.  

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@grandma petes 

Our local grocery stores have had limits on meat and other staples like rice and pasta for weeks.

Trusted Contributor

@deeva wrote:

@grandma petes 

Our local grocery stores have had limits on meat and other staples like rice and pasta for weeks.

Some of ours did have limits on many products, but seem to have relaxed those restrictions as of late. It is sad that we have come to this, but unfortunately those that choose to hoard have made it difficult for many to even get the basics. Anytime the media mentions a possibility of a shortage for any products, you can be certain that there will be hoarders out in force. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Unfortunately the executive order made safety measures optional so the workers have no sense of safety. There is also pending legislation to exempt companies from liability for sickness occuring at their worksite. Don't we all have a responsibility to each other to keep our society safe? Is my access to meat worth someones life.

@chessylady 

Since two weeks ago they've been ordered to wear masks and practice social distancing after the DPA received complaints....

@Spurt,  the DPA is not an agency so could not have received complaints.  The Defense Production Act (DPA) of 1950 is a federal provision that allows the government to marshal the private sector to ramp up production of certain supplies.  

@Marp 

Thanks for the correction, I mean to say OSHA---The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is an agency of the United States Department of Labor. ...(I corrected my post)I typed the wrong agency. Wish I could post the entire article but it mixes in too much local and federal politics and various political agencies and actions taken....So many complaints on so many levels but it all fell through the cracks and the companies ignored them......

Tyson Foods, JBS USA and Smithfield Foods — ignored CDC federal guidelines on social distancing and personal protective equipment were published March 9, according to interviews with employees, elected officials, regional health officials, union leaders and federal safety inspectors as well as dozens of documents, including worker complaints filed with local and federal officials.--

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

I was at Walmart yesterday and people were filling their carts with various meat products. The cashier told me they were considering limiting the amount you can buy due to hoarding. Placing limitations will be necessary to hopefully ensure that everyone has food/ meat available to feed their families. The hard part is for those with large families. Limiting one package per purchase can make it difficult for them. 

The dry beans, rice, tuna, ect. isles were almost bare. Even the frozen meats were scarce. There was a sign posted that the price of eggs was going to increase and the supply would be very limited.

They need to place limits on EVERYTHING, not just toilet paper, paper towels and cleaning supplies.

Pasta and Rice - limit it to total packages not 4 spaghetti and 4 ziti and 4 penne, etc.

Eggs - limit 1 or 2 not 1 or 2 dozen of each size.

Bread - 1 bread, 1 english muffins, 1 hamburger rolls, 1 hot dog rolls. 

It's the only way there will be something left for the next person to walk down the aisle. 

@CelticCrafter 

You are exactly right....but our grocery store did the opposite and removed many of the restrictions thinking things have calmed down....theres still shortages of so many items...they should have left them in place. 

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

So what does this mean? Meat plants are forced to stay open even if staff are sick or there's an outbreak or not enough protective equipment? Are they going to provide the safety equipment to these companies and pay for employees' healthcare should they get sick?

@JJsMom 

I posted an update on my original post- they are requiring temperature checks, masks, distancing, and sick employees are required to be quarantined....