Honored Contributor

Re: DON EVERLY DIES AT 84 YRS (Everly Bros.)

They've left a beautiful legacy behind in their music.

We saw them once in England.  Wonderful show, wonderful harmony.  So grateful to have had that chance.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

They've left a beautiful legacy behind in their music.

We saw them once in England.  Wonderful show, wonderful harmony.  So grateful to have had that chance.

Speaking of England, wondering if @dulwich  knew much of the Everlys back in the day?

Trusted Contributor

Cruel!

https://en.mediamass.net/people/don-everly/deathhoax.html

@Pearlee wrote:

Don Everly, who survived his brother, Phil of the Everly Brothers, has died at age 84. The article I read in the L.A. Times gave no cause of death. 

The brothers were noted for their harmonies, which later influenced The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle and others. Among their many hits was Wake Up Little Susie, All I Have To Do Is Dream, When Will I Be Lived, and Kathy's Clown. They were among the first group to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall if Fame.

Source:L.A. Times

Honored Contributor

@KLevineFan wrote:

Cruel!

https://en.mediamass.net/people/don-everly/deathhoax.html

@Pearlee wrote:

Don Everly, who survived his brother, Phil of the Everly Brothers, has died at age 84. The article I read in the L.A. Times gave no cause of death. 

The brothers were noted for their harmonies, which later influenced The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle and others. Among their many hits was Wake Up Little Susie, All I Have To Do Is Dream, When Will I Be Lived, and Kathy's Clown. They were among the first group to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall if Fame.

Source:L.A. Times

@KLevineFan  The death is reported in the LA  Times, Variety, The Washington Post, the NY Times and other major sources, which I tend to believe more than your Star magazine source.

Respected Contributor

Wake Up Little Susie

That was my favorite song of theirs and I'm sorry to learn that they both have died. Heaven is probably hearing some great singing in harmony right now.

Trusted Contributor

I remember hearing the Everly brothers' music being played in my older brother's room ... he had every one of their records and albums. 

Respected Contributor

@hopi , I blame them directly, along with John Sebastian's Daydream, for my penchant for daydreaming...it's all their fault!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

May he rest in peace!

The Everly Brothers were firmly among my favorites when I first became a consumer/listener of popular music.  They are an excellent example of that fluid area between country music and the emerging rock and roll that eventually took its place as a new genre of popular music.

I've lovely memories of dancing to their music, cheek-to-cheek, with some of the nice guys at our local teen dances.   The guy I had a crush on during those years did not attend the dances.  I think he lived on the outskirts of town.  No matter.  I have fond memories of the Everly Brothers.

Super Contributor

The very first 45 record that I ever bought was theirs, “All I Have To Do Is Dream”.  And it was purchased in a music and record store.  Do you remember those?  There were little soundproof rooms inside the store in which a customer could take a record and play it, to try it out and see if it was one that he/she wanted to purchase. I wish I had kept all my old 45’s!  And 33 1/3s, too!  Off subject a bit:  My trainer has started an LP collection. I told him about 45s, and he had no clue.  My, how the years have passed!  Don and Phil...RIP.  And thanks for the memories!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twoaces wrote:

The very first 45 record that I ever bought was theirs, “All I Have To Do Is Dream”.  And it was purchased in a music and record store.  Do you remember those?  There were little soundproof rooms inside the store in which a customer could take a record and play it, to try it out and see if it was one that he/she wanted to purchase. I wish I had kept all my old 45’s!  And 33 1/3s, too!  Off subject a bit:  My trainer has started an LP collection. I told him about 45s, and he had no clue.  My, how the years have passed!  Don and Phil...RIP.  And thanks for the memories!

When cassettes and then CDs came out some people thought I was crazy for keeping all my 45's and albums.  They told me they were obsolete.  I just couldn't part with them and I had been collecting them since the early 60's long before I became a teenager.

I have a turntable and when the mood hits me I'll put on a 45 and remember those days and those recording artists.  

And yes, I do remember the little rooms where you would go to listen to a record before you bought it.  I even remember the name of the record store.  It was Weisers Record Store in PA.  

"All I Have To Do Is Dream" was one of my favorites too.