Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt 

Yes, that is another favorite....so touching.

Your words about a loving mother made me tearful.  I am sorry you didn't have that experience.  My own relationship with my mother was conflicted and I think of her often, wishing I had been more tender and understanding with her.

She was volitile and not very nurturing, but I came to terms with the realization she was doing the best she could based on her own experience.

I hope you had other loving relationships to fill that void, although I know it's a tough one to replace.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@chickenbutt 

Yes, that is another favorite....so touching.

Your words about a loving mother made me tearful.  I am sorry you didn't have that experience.  My own relationship with my mother was conflicted and I think of her often, wishing I had been more tender and understanding with her.

She was volitile and not very nurturing, but I came to terms with the realization she was doing the best she could based on her own experience.

I hope you had other loving relationships to fill that void, although I know it's a tough one to replace.

Aww, I'm so sorry that things didn't go well with your mother.   Mine was hideously cruel and hateful.  Aside from the beatings, all I got was 'you're worthless/stupid/etc' and I also got 'I hate you' and 'I wish you were never born'.   I used to wonder what I did wrong, especially as a small child to deserve that.  Only later down the road did I realize that, as with yours, those were her limitations and a lot of it was her manifesting her own self-loathing onto me.  

For a while, as a much younger adult, (and stupid me!) I did try to get on with her and even go above and beyond.   Unfortunately, that didn't change the fact that she was a horrible person.  I hated her so much.  I tried not to hate her once but that didn't work out.  Now I just mostly feel apathy.  I always thought it must have to be the most special thing to have a mother who loves you.

Wishing you all the best!  Heart

(sorry kitty girl!  Didn't mean to disrail)

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt @Witchy Woman .....you both made me cry.  AND....chickenbutt, post whatever and whenever you want on my thread.  

I love the way posters comfort each other when there is a need to do so.  It doesn't cost a thing....it brings joy to those who read it and, I am sure, it brings comfort to those it was addressed to.

There is so much sorrow, past and present hurts, unnecessary unkind actions and words thrown to all of us, that it makes me smile when I see lovely and heartfelt words between two souls trying to put a smile in their heart and a pep in their step.

Thank you both for sharing and....If I was "Anna", I would give both of you a big ole hug like she gives "Olaf"....so, with saying that....I will give you this....

See the source image

Honored Contributor

No. never! Could not stand to hear DP for that long in general....especially singing obnoxious Christmas songs.  Hate Christmas specials. 

just an opinion. We are all allowed that.

To each his own.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

No. never! Could not stand to hear DP for that long in general....especially singing obnoxious Christmas songs.  Hate Christmas specials. 

just an opinion. We are all allowed that.

To each his own.

@SeaMaiden ...of course you and all are entitled to their opinion.  I hope something else on tv tonight may be something you enjoy.  But thanks for replying.

Trusted Contributor

I love Dolly! I will be watching the special and also taping it to watch it again later Smiley Happy This year, I'm really enjoying the holiday music specials. It's definitely the year to enjoy great music and feel-good tv specials. 

Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay -

I loved it!

I love her so much!Heart

Thank you again for posting about it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness!!!  What a wonderful show!!   I was so touched by the entire program.  

I love her music and admire her so much. She has certainly worked her way to the top and does so much good. 

Honored Contributor
There is also a Dolly special on PBS on 12/6 at the same time.
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt 

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@KKWA 

Yes, and that it was meant for Porter Waggoner.  It is such a heart wrenching song...who hasn't felt that way?  I think her voice sounds so innocent and pure in this song.  It makes me cry EVERY time!

@proudlyfromNJ 

I would agree that Whitney's version is great...but it has a different feel to me.   The power of her voice is amazing...she's really belting it out.

But, I find Dolly's version speaks to my heart more.

One of my favorite "guilty pleasure" movies is "The Bodyguard."

ITA with you about the song.  Whitney was an AMAZING artist, but when Dolly sings the song it's magical.   I've seen 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas' numerous times and always love when she does that song in the end.

In a recent interview Dolly mentioned that her favorite, of the songs she's written, is 'Coat of Many Colors'.   I love that, as it's also my favorite.  Granted I cry like a baby every time I hear it and, although I know all the words, I'm hard-pressed to actually be able to sing along.  But it's just the beauty of the message that fills my heart.   One thing for me with that song was the love of her mother.  I never had that and I'm so glad that there are so many people, including her, who have been so lucky to have a mother who loved them so much.  Smiley Happy

It made me cry.  She recognized her mother,s love and she loved her mother. She knew how poor they were.  I cry because, when I was a single mom  raising three children back in the 60,s, we had very little money.  I made my daughter a dress and coat to match.  Put a lot of work in it.  Had a teal body, but the top was white, with teal lace around the collar.  The matching coat was all teal.  She hated it and was ashamed to wear it and told me so years later, because the kids in school didn,t wear homemade clothes.  I thought it was beautiful.  Dolly Pardon has a good heart and gives a lot today.  She appreciated her mother,s love.  My daughter was about seven and I was about early 3o,s