Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

hopi, don't you know women like this? No, I'm not kidding.

With all due respect, many people get depressed at any holiday. It's not that I don't have empathy but this is a discussion board not a therapy session for Dr. Phil.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoesIt is always nice to be thought of and remembered.  I'm happy to have someone who thinks of me.

Respected Contributor

Re: DOES IT MATTER TO YOU

[ Edited ]

hopi, & other, whoever:

It's not a bad day or depression it's how some women like to elevate themselves at others expense. Surely, you are old enough to have experienced this? High school behavior.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

You’ve got yourself a Good One!

Happy Valentines to both of you, and MANY more!

Let the snark roll off 🦆.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

My DH has arranged for his Mom to get flowers tomorrow (2/13) - he wants her to awake on Valentine's Day with them there.

He's "had to run an errand" a time or two, and brought me a gift in advance of the "holiday"; sometimes that's the only way to get it done.  But he does it!  He's a good guy.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes....what a sweet, thoughtful man you have. Enjoy and appreciate your early gifts. This is the first Valentine's day in decades that I will not be receiving flowers/gifts, as my DH died several months ago.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

No it doesn't matter if you get the stuff early or on the day! All that matters is that he thought of you and got you things to show he cares. Our anniversary is on Valentines' Day and it will be thirty three years. My husband always gives me great things and some I get early because he tries to separate the anniversary and Valentine's Day just a little bit. And don't pay any attention to the person asking if you were trying to make others feel bad. It is obvious you are excited about your gifts and you should be.

Super Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I was cleaning bathroom today when florest delivered an arrangement for me!  Small arrangement of cut flowers (no roses).  I had the biggest smile because after 46 years I am still pleased to know he remembered and was glad I got them early.  Don't go out on 14th...will cook a nice dinner and we will remember how we spent Valentine's thru the years.  Sounds like you have a keeper.  Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

hopi, & other, whoever:

It's not a bad day or depression it's how some women like to elevate themselves at others expense. Surely, you are old enough to have experienced this? High school behavior.

Dear Q posters, it is clear we need some new board rules starting with:

No posting about anything that makes you happy because your happiness might make someone else sad. 

Don't post about anything sad or upsetting because it might make someone else feel even worse.

Don't post anything neutral because well, just because.

Don't post!  However, rest assured that not everyone will follow this rule so inevitably there will be inquiries and speculation as to why you are no longer posting completing the circle.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I don't know why the poster would ask a question like that but I'd like to think it was for no other reason than to share.  I am glad if you feel loved and cared for and if you don't then I am sorry but hope you can overcome your sadness.  

It is the most important thing to have a person who can express their love through respect, kindness, and compassion towards you.  

I've been married for close to 35 years to someone who shows none of those things.  Six months after we were married he showed his true colors.  It was like night/day.  The only thing consistant about him is he always lets me down. 

Last year I lost my Mom who was emotionally and physically abusive.  She showed me no love or support.  She reminded me on a day-to-day basis that I was worthless.  And up until the age of 18 when I got married and moved out, I heard every day that I was useless and undeserving of love.  I am one of six children and she didn't treat any of them that way.  I kept it to myself all these years.  I was in therapy for a couple years and had depression and PTSD.  The other day my husband made the comment "your mother was right."  So no it wouldn't matter to me if he treated me to something a couple days before Valentine's Day, but to others it might.  

Cherish being with someone who can shower you with love, no matter what day it is.

Wishing ALL of you love.Heart