Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU WATCH TV WITH YOUR S.O. OR DO YOU

[ Edited ]

We started out watching TV together and gradually,  over time, it progressed to separate TVs and we hardly watch together at all anymore....I can understand everyone having their own particular taste in certain shows, etc., but I have to admit that I also have my own personal opinion on what has happened to family/marital relationships with everyone being in their own personal space too much of the time.

There has to be a healthy balance and, with all of the available technology, it just seems that most people are in their own separate worlds and there just isn't enough time spent for personal connection and communication that is so very much needed in all relationships.

I don't want to get too deep here, as the OP is just a simple question, but I just feel that something is very much missing and it all becomes so normal that to even suggest anything otherwise can come across as being too analytical or sensitive.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Interesting responses.  We only have one TV so we usually are together with our viewing. 

I'm here on this board because he just finished watching Badlands and I don't enjoy that show.  Now it's over and he's falling asleep anyway.  ROTFL!

He does have a computer setup with a TV screen in another room and once in a while he will watch something else in there (as when I did a marathon Gilmore Girls LOL)

But our shows are mostly mutual interest so my answer is yes, we watch TV together.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

We started out watching TV together and gradually,  over time, it progressed to separate TVs and we hardly watch together at all anymore....I can understand everyone having their own particular taste in certain shows, etc., but I have to admit that I also have my own personal opinion on what has happened to family/marital relationships with everyone being in their own personal space too much of the time.

There has to be a healthy balance and, with all of the available technology, it just seems that most people are in their own separate worlds and there just isn't enough time spent for personal connection and communication that is so very much needed in all relationships.

I don't want to get too deep here, as the OP is just a simple question, but I just feel that something is very much missing and it all becomes so normal that to even suggest anything otherwise can come across as being too analytical or sensitive.

@MyShadowLove I completely agree with your view of everyone being in their own space doing their own thing.  I guess when I  posed this question, I was thinking more of retired couples because that is what we are.  There are no children in the house anymore.  When I was little, there was only one TV and we all watched it together as a family.....but then again, there were only 4 or 5 channels to watch.  When my daughter was growing up, the evening was usually taken up with homework and maybe a little TV.  She was always one to go to bed early.  We would usually watch separately after that. 

I also agree with all the electronics calling out for the attention of everyone.  We are always appalled when we see people out for dinner staring at their phone.......even the kids.  There doesn't seem to be the interacting and communicating like when we were young.  Sitting around the breakfast and dinner table was a regular part of our day......time to catch up, laugh, just be a family.  Sadly, I think that is a rarity these days. 

You didn't want to be too analytical or sensitive, so I will be.  I think it is the children that are being short changed and it is being reflected in society today.

Thanks for posting!

@

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

wildflowers wrote:

No disrespect intended toward you , but I think that different people have different needs, insomuch as that there are probably about as many different ways that work for different people as there are  people

A way that some people feel close is not necessarily the same way others feel close and/or connected.   There is nothing necesarily missing for those who enjoy their lives in a different way.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs....Thank you for your thoughtful and understanding reply....My post was meant to simply  convey my own personal observations and feelings and not intended in any way to suggest anything otherwise...It happens to be a very sensitive subject in our household...lol...and shared by many family members and friends...We have very interesting conversations. to say the least, while remaining understanding that we are not judging each other at all....just sharing and conveying our own varying personal feelings of how the dynamics of our society and relationships have changed

You articulated it all very well!...Your thread just brought out that analytical side of me and something of which I have a sensitivity to!...There, I said it!...lol

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts and replies!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

Not really.  We will watch Jeopardy and Wof F while eating most nights.  He may hang around for a bit while I'm watching the Texas Rangers game or some show I've recorded.  Then he goes back to the bedroom and watches his shows.  He likes military, history, national geographic, science shows and I don't.  

Sometimes we watch some of the MSNBC shows together at night. He is a recent convert from FOX to CNN and MSNBC, so I'm happy to watch Rachel and Chris and Lawrence or Brian etc with him.  So happy we're on the same 'page' after 25 years.  Smiley Wink