Esteemed Contributor

Why don't we share some of the funny things that happened in our lives.  I'll start...

Many years ago while still living California I was driving with my daughter  who sitting in the passenger seat, on a street named Nordoff Avenue.  At that time  the road was not heavily traveled, and as we drove along I suddenly noticed something lying in the road, lo and behold it was a cell phone.

There were no cars behind me so I pulled over to the curb, got out of the car and retrieved the phone.  Stacy and I looked at one another while we pondered what to do with it.  We couldn't call the owner because he wouldn't be able to answer, so we continued on heading for home.

As we were pulling up onto the driveway, a phone was ringing, not mine, not hers, OH, it was the one we picked up off the street.  I answered it with a "Hello" and man's voice answered and babbled on about how he had an argument and was angry and threw the phone out of his car window and was thrilled I rescued it.  We came up with the agreement we would meet at a restaurant on Ventura Blvd. in Encino.

Of course not knowing what any of us looked like, I told him it would just be my daughter and I at a table close to the entry.  So off we went to meet the stranger who in a fit of anger threw his cell phone out of his car where it landed in the middle of the road.

As Stacy and I sat there in the booth directly across from the entry which was convenient, a good looking man walked in and the three of us immediately knew we were the ones having this meeting.  It was decided we didn't want lunch but coffee and apiece of pie would work all around.    We had a lot of laughs while devouring our pie and while saying our good bye agreed we had a lovely time and were happy it all turned out well.  I did, however, as I was walking toward my car, reminded our new good looking friend to control his temper and hang onto his phone.  This time it turned out well, it might not the second time around.

So, is there anyone out there who will share their funny story that turned out well?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU HAVE A FUNNY STORY?

When I was about 5, a case of chicken pox destroyed one of my ear drums...so I had a little hearing challenge.   On to the story:

I came home from school and told my mom we were going to read The Buzzard of Odds (Wizard of Oz) the next day.   My mom thought the teacher was giving the kids "tips" on betting parlors....known in Chicago as "book joints"........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a doozy!  I was getting out of my car at the supermarket on my way to work when the clog I had on slipped off my foot and under the car next to me.  It was an expensive new one and I couldn't reach it.  There was an older woman in the car with the engine running.  If she would have backed up to get out of her space it could have got run over.  Since she was making no attempt to leave I figured she was waiting for the car in  front of hers to leave so she didn 't have to back out.  Try as I did I couldn't reach it.  I knocked on her window and took my other one off to try to show her the other was under her car.trying to get her attention but she looked over , was startled and didn't respond.   I had a huge rolling pin that I carry for protection that I got out of my car to reach it and this woman looked over, grabbed her purse, clutched it to her chest and screamed.  I tried to shout about my shoe and went to her side of the car.  She was terrified so  She backed out so fast and thankfully missed my shoe.  I picked up the clog and was waving it trying to show why I had the rolling pin.  There was no one else around since it was right around the time the store opened in the morning.    

Honored Contributor

@Pook    I was laughing so hard, I almost wet my pants  !!!!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago your family doctor would come to the hospital to check you out before your release.... as did your surgeon.  I had been through lots of "female problems" and had so many pelvic exams it wasn't funny.  I was only 21 yrs. old.  On the day of my release, I was dressed and ready to go home after having some major surgery. My family doctor came in and said he needed to examine me before I went home. He didn't leave the room for me to undress (which I though was highly unusual) so I reached up under my dress and pulled my panties down to my ankles and stood there not knowing what else to do.  He looked at me very puzzled and said, "What are you doing"?  I said, "You said you wanted to examine me"   to which he replied, "I only wanted to press on your tummy".  There I was standing face to face with my doctor, dress on, and panties  pulled down to my ankles!  I was so embarassed.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant    After having such serious medical challenges as a young woman, I commend you for being able to tell your story with such a wonderful sense of humor.   (I actually spit my coffee....got my arm instead of the computer screen!)     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

So I have lived a boring life because I can't think of anything! I do have this, when I was in first grade the teacher had us draw pictures of things that began with the letter W. I draw a picture of what looks like a girl, the teacher says, that girl begins with the letter G. I replied, no that's Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family. She smiled and gave me a pass.

Valued Contributor

Back when my children were small and I was still a good mom, I borrowed a picture book from the library on Washington, DC, as we had just visited the city.

My goal was to reinforce the visit on my young children.

Instead, my boys took a strip of stick on velcro and glued two of the pages together. Couldn't be saved.

I stood at the library desk to pay for the book, dreading my turn. I showed the book to the librarian and he told me how much I owed. Of course I was mortified, but he laughed.....

He said: I have seen tape, glue, I've even seen peanut butter, but I have never seen velcro.

Esteemed Contributor

This happened this morning - I live in southern sunny California - and we're having hurricane-sized winds.

Last night I put out the 2 trashcans -- even though I knew pickup would be delayed one day - because it was a holiday.

When I looked out the window this morning. one trashcan was blown over and the other was turned around. So  - I put them straight up.
When I looked out again -- one was blown close to my neighbor's car - so I moved it closer to the other trashcan. The wind was fierce so I decided to put the regular trashcan in my backyard where it wouldn't blow around. I pulled it by the handle - the can was behind me - then the lid blew up and hit me on my back. I was fighting to move it to my yard - which I finally accomplished.
Then I moved the lawn can to my backyard - again, the lid blew up and hit me on my back. Now - I'm completely out of breath.
I then realized that they won't be picked up til tomorrow.

So - I went to the slider in my yard to enter my house - and I had locked the slider because it was so windy. Then I went to the front door - and it was locked. Then I went to the garage side-door and it was also locked.
I have 2 male friends staying with me - one upstairs and the other downstairs - windows facing my backyard.  
There was a black car parked out front - and I realized that Dayvid (downstairs room) - was home. So I went to the yard and started knocking on his bedroom window - calling his name -- no answer.
Then I started walking to my front door (as I was being blown away - and getting frantic) - and noticed there was an out-of-area license plate on the car . I looked closer and realized it was Tim's car (he drove here from Canada.) I was sure he was going to work early this morning. So I kept ringing the doorbell - and Kivi started barking - hoping Tim would hear the bell. Nothing!!!!
So I decided to cross the street to my neighbor Chet's house, to ask him to call a locksmith. I was right by his door and my eyes were very watery and my nose started running, so I reached into the pocket on my Isaac Mizrahi sweater looking for a tissue. Then I discovered my whole set of keys was in my pocket.
Obviously, I locked the front door the last time I went outside to retrieve the trashcans - which I have no memory of.  
Tim was not here - someone from work must have picked him up.
Of course, I thanked God and mother for saving me - again!!!!!
It took a little while to recover!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I also lived in the San Fernando Valley - and drove up Nordhoff --- and very often drove up Ventura Blvd in Encino. Was the restaurant DuPars? I'm now in north Oxnard and miss Ventura Blvd. I do not enjoy driving around Oxnard or Ventura.