Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU CARRY PEPPER SPRAY?

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

No, but I have a siren/alarm  thing that a male friend gave me.  It's on a chain and all you have to do is "pull the plug" and the thing screaches loudly.   

A year or so ago, our management and local precinct offered a self-defense class.   Lots of useful advice.  

BUT -  best advice is to be alert. 

---------------------------------------------

This (bolded by me) is what I've always said.   When I leave the grocery store (or wherever I am - I don't go many places anymore) I appraise myself of anybody around the area.  As I walk to my car I look all around me to make sure nobody is creeping around.  If I were to see anybody I would probably go back into the store as quickly as possible but this has yet to happen.   

As soon as I get into my car I lock the doors.  My car does automatically lock them but not until I've started the car and gotten up to, IIRC, 15mph.  So I take the initiative to lock them as soon as I get in.

I don't care if somebody here (won't be surprising) wants to call me, or people like me, paranoid.   That says more about them than it does about me.  I just know to be careful, particularly because I've come to a point where I could not physically defend myself due to old injuries, arthritis, asthma, etc.   

I do the same with my car doors.  Mine lock as soon as I put the car in reverse but partly out of habit, as soon as I close the car door, I lock them.

Honored Contributor

Funny story.  My mother used to live with me.  She had an old friend come up from California to visit.  I had taken them on a sight seeing tour and we were in the Fremont area of Seattle along the ship canal.  As we were walking through a parking lot toward my car the friend decided to show us her new alarm on a key chain.  At the time we were behind a bar where the back door was open.  The whole bar emptied out to help us before she could shut it off.  I spend a lot of time thanking and apologizing to people!  

Honored Contributor

My DIL and a bunch of her friends went into the city two weeks ago to see a *Friends* exhibit.  They had the apartment/rooms and even Central Perkset up exactly as on the show.  

They had to pass through Penn Station and were terrified by all the homeless/drug addicts that have taken over.  They were approached by people panhandling and some were quite agitated.

I had no idea, but my DIL has a stun gun and, of course,

mace or pepper spray as she's worked in the city and knows the dangers.

They had a great time, but dreaded having to pass thru there again after it was over.