Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU CARRY PEPPER SPRAY?

@suzyQ3 I got it!  I didn't think you were to begin with.....I knew you were not being argumentive.  That's not your style....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

No, but I have a siren/alarm  thing that a male friend gave me.  It's on a chain and all you have to do is "pull the plug" and the thing screaches loudly.   

A year or so ago, our management and local precinct offered a self-defense class.   Lots of useful advice.  

BUT -  best advice is to be alert. 

---------------------------------------------

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I take my dogs for walks on my mobility scooter.  I have pepper spray I keep in the basket.  We have strick laws against loose dogs but you never know when one will jump a fence and wander the streets.  I've got a little yapper that would challenge a mastiff so I carry the spray to protect us all. I've never used it. 

My greatest fear is my 9 lb. Daisy being attacked.  I took her to a little park and here was a guy with a huge Pit bull off leash. What if I hadn't seen the dog and got out of the car?  Would I be able to pick her up fast enough. She's never off leash.  I'm scared to take her anywhere because ,like yours,she is ready to rumble with a lion.

I don't have pepper spray. Probably would end up spraying myself.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

I carry pepper spray and a high decibel alarm which are on me at all times away from home.  Inside my home I have a pistol and keep a baseball bat by front and back door for protection! Outside my home are Blink cameras and Ring doorbell!

Honored Contributor

My three college brands carry mace in a pink keychain thing they bought at a hunting/ fishing store. It does t look like anything other than a key fob. So far none of them have needed to use it, thank God.
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21    Unfortunately his threats are not in writing, they are verbal.  Because I never know when he is going to say anything it's almost impossible to record him on my phone.  My daughter and I plan to go to a police department to tell them about the threats and his drug dealing. Thanks for your input.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have carried pepper spray for years.  I don't know if mine is a gel or a liquid but I do know it has a dye in it.  Makes it easier for the police to find the suspect.  I carry mine on my keychain so it's always available, not buried somewhere in my purse.  No time for that.  

I have actually thought about that 9-1-1 device marketed on HSN to keep on my body in case of the extremely rare instance of a kidnapping or other situation where you wouldn't be able to get to your phone.  I know it's a bit overkill, but there's no yearly/monthly fee last I saw it presented.  I'm actually surprised they don't also market it for parents to give to their kids rather than mostly to old people.  It simply calls 911 and you can talk to them, nothing else.  In the case of a kidnapping, a kidnapper would know to take away your phone, but wouldn't know you had that in a pocket or on your person.

@hckynut I have a CC license, but I currently don't own a gun small enough to carry.  my personal safety gun in the gun safe next to the bed is a Taurus that shoots both bullets and small shotgun shells, so kinda big.  I'm not a fan of 9mm, too many things to remember.  I prefer a simple revolver.  I go by Scarlett O'hara's saying "I can shoot straight if I don't have to shoot far".  If I'm cornered in the bedroom, that's not far.  My husband does take me to the range occasionally just to stay in practice.  Not as good as I used to be with the aging vision and the difference between my eyes.  He goes almost weekly with a buddy of his, but he doesn't have a gun next to his side of the bed.  

You do need to be committed to killing someone if you carry a gun or, as someone said, it can be taken away from you and used on you.  You also need to be familiar with the gun so you don't waste precious time forgetting that you have the safety on.

@Icegoddess   Many years ago a friend took me to an indoor shooting range to learn how to shoot.  I do remember being told that if you carry a gun you have to be ready to kill someone, just as you stated here.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   You were one brave and very smart lady the day you pulled your act.  Talk about quick thinking, you saved your life, God Bless you. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

Interesting comments. I have never had pepper spray or anything like that.

I don't go out at night anymore, but I am aware of getting older, and at times have been concerned

about purse snatching. I now use only crossbody.

Both of our sons, in completely different locations (and states), went to sporting goods stores a few months ago.

Both had the same story:  people in long lines to purchase guns.  All kinds of people:  young adults to old, men and women, all races...our younger son said it is wise to assume that everyone out there might be "packing".

We live in a home with a fence around it and an iron gate across the driveway.  We have motion lights.  But our better watch dog passed away three weeks ago.

@Susan in California   I am so sorry for the loss of your watch dog.  I know how it hurts having lost our family pet when I was a teenager, we never got another pet after that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@hckynut   Of course if I had a gun I would carry that instead of the Pepper Spray.  And considering the threats I am getting from my ex son-in-law perhaps it's time for me to get a gun, I do know how to use them.Woman Wink

If he's the ex SIL then he is out of the house and you don't have to see him?

@Mj12...It's a long story, he was in an accident, badly injured, daughter felt sorry for him, let him come to our house from the hospital and has stayed since then.  Won't leave even when told he has to go.  This is going to become a police action, we are going to the police department to report his threats and for help in getting him out.  this is what we get because my daughter is too kind and doesn't think...don't get me started. Woman Mad