Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU CARRY PEPPER SPRAY?

Some of my neighbors were outside enjoying the spring weather and because of the mass shooting the subjects of guns came up.  None of us have guns or feel the need to.  That made me feel more secure that I won't get accidently shot.  

Esteemed Contributor

I carry spray from Sportsmans Warehouse.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

No, but I have a siren/alarm  thing that a male friend gave me.  It's on a chain and all you have to do is "pull the plug" and the thing screaches loudly.   

A year or so ago, our management and local precinct offered a self-defense class.   Lots of useful advice.  

BUT -  best advice is to be alert. 

---------------------------------------------

This (bolded by me) is what I've always said.   When I leave the grocery store (or wherever I am - I don't go many places anymore) I appraise myself of anybody around the area.  As I walk to my car I look all around me to make sure nobody is creeping around.  If I were to see anybody I would probably go back into the store as quickly as possible but this has yet to happen.   

As soon as I get into my car I lock the doors.  My car does automatically lock them but not until I've started the car and gotten up to, IIRC, 15mph.  So I take the initiative to lock them as soon as I get in.

I don't care if somebody here (won't be surprising) wants to call me, or people like me, paranoid.   That says more about them than it does about me.  I just know to be careful, particularly because I've come to a point where I could not physically defend myself due to old injuries, arthritis, asthma, etc.   

@chickenbutt  Good for you chickenbutt, there is nothing wrong with being alert, one can never be too caredul, especially in our world today. Woman Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What states prohibit carrying pepper spray?

@Lucky Charm 

Pepper Spray Laws by State 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

Pepper Spray Laws by State 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Yeah, a quick google search (not the same site you provided) pretty much said the same thing.

Pepper spray is not banned in any state.

Honored Contributor

I do not but I am seriously thinking about getting something to use for walking my dog.  I have no idea what has happened in my neighborhood but now, just about everytime I walk my dog, there are loose dogs out and about.   I have no idea why it's such a problem for people to keep their dogs contained all of a sudden.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've carried it for years.  The last time I tried to purchase it locally, I had a hard time finding it and ended up ordering it from Amazon.  I need to pull mine out and see if it has expired.  Years ago I walked a lot in the evenings and it was recommended to me for stray, mean dogs or an unwanted encounter with a human.  I, sometimes, travel/vacation alone and it's a comfort to have it in those times also.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have carried pepper spray for years.  I don't know if mine is a gel or a liquid but I do know it has a dye in it.  Makes it easier for the police to find the suspect.  I carry mine on my keychain so it's always available, not buried somewhere in my purse.  No time for that.  

I have actually thought about that 9-1-1 device marketed on HSN to keep on my body in case of the extremely rare instance of a kidnapping or other situation where you wouldn't be able to get to your phone.  I know it's a bit overkill, but there's no yearly/monthly fee last I saw it presented.  I'm actually surprised they don't also market it for parents to give to their kids rather than mostly to old people.  It simply calls 911 and you can talk to them, nothing else.  In the case of a kidnapping, a kidnapper would know to take away your phone, but wouldn't know you had that in a pocket or on your person.

@hckynut I have a CC license, but I currently don't own a gun small enough to carry.  my personal safety gun in the gun safe next to the bed is a Taurus that shoots both bullets and small shotgun shells, so kinda big.  I'm not a fan of 9mm, too many things to remember.  I prefer a simple revolver.  I go by Scarlett O'hara's saying "I can shoot straight if I don't have to shoot far".  If I'm cornered in the bedroom, that's not far.  My husband does take me to the range occasionally just to stay in practice.  Not as good as I used to be with the aging vision and the difference between my eyes.  He goes almost weekly with a buddy of his, but he doesn't have a gun next to his side of the bed.  

You do need to be committed to killing someone if you carry a gun or, as someone said, it can be taken away from you and used on you.  You also need to be familiar with the gun so you don't waste precious time forgetting that you have the safety on.

@Icegoddess   Many years ago a friend took me to an indoor shooting range to learn how to shoot.  I do remember being told that if you carry a gun you have to be ready to kill someone, just as you stated here.

Ugh! I am not going to go out of my way to be ready to kill someone. Yuck. That goes against all my beliefs. I am not a soldier, nor would I wish to become one.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I think pepper spray and a loud siren are the best things to take with you when you are out.  These are things that would, hopefully, give you time for a next move.

Carrying a gun, especially for an older person, is not a great option.  You are, most likely, lacking the training needed to effectively use your gun.  Law enforcement trains extensively on a regular basis to be proficient.

If you are carrying a gun, do you really think if you were in imminent danger that you would have the ability to get to that gun and use it?  Chances are, you would be so frightened and shaken up that there is no way the shot will be accurate.  Your attacker could grab the gun and use it on you.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm , I'd like to know as well.  I thought both pepper spray and mace were legal in every state but there were use restrictions with it.

ETA:  I just saw what @sunshine45 posted after I posted my reply.