Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU CARRY PEPPER SPRAY?

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma  Depends on your needs.

I have the Sabre Red Pepper Gel (larger size than the mace key chain size) as it's police strength, you can stand farther away and it's always "on".  I use this when walking to and from my car anywhere (work, mall, etc) at night and when on a walk/hike alone.

I also have the Fox Labs Mean Green Pepper Spray which hooks onto my key chain. This is the size most of us carry with our keys, is a pepper spray but leaves a neon green color to the person you spray. It does NOT wash off easily. This is great because, like the dye used in exploding money pack alarms, you can tell the police (or anyone) to look for someone who has this color on his/her hair, skin, clothes, etc. 

I wish Sabre would add this feature to their Pepper Gel Spray and make it in a smaller size (key chain). Best of both worlds.

Edited to add: when I am driving at night for a distance (moving, for example), driving long distance anywhere, staying in a hotel alone, etc.,  I have a concealed weapon with me. Yes, I have a license to carry it. Last resort, absolutely, and hope it never sees the light of day.

@FiddleDeeDee  Very informativve, thanks a lot, appreciate it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I have been given lessons on exactly how to use them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, seriously. Years ago I was given lessons on how to shoot a gun at an indoor shooting range.  Spent a lot time shooting at targets and was told I am excellent at it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3   Good question, I was wondering the same thing myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, seriously. Years ago I was given lessons on how to shoot a gun at an indoor shooting range.  Spent a lot time shooting at targets and was told I am excellent at it. 

When you are taking target practice, you are taught how to score your target. Targets are different so you learn to score yourself for accuracy.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Sooner   You were one brave and very smart lady the day you pulled your act.  Talk about quick thinking, you saved your life, God Bless you. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma Not that brave, just thought that was a good option to try to call his bluff.  You could see the guy thinking, I don't know what's in her pocket but maybe I'd better rethink this!  

I know I raised that coat pocket up high and away from my body and pointed stright at him like you'd do if you had a gun and didn't want to get burned from the flash.  He was about 2 cars down and across the aisle from me. 

Valued Contributor

I ordered V37591. 2 for $28 was a good deal. I like the idea of a gel instead of a spray. If there is a breeze, the spray could come back at you. Until I finish my CPL classes and can legally carry, pepper gel will be my ammo. Hoping I never need to use it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't but my sister doesn't even need one.  She has a gun and is an excellent shot.  She lives in New Mexico and it's legal to openly carry a gun without a license. You can carry a concealed gun too, but you need a licence. She has one. She learned how to shoot on a gun range years ago and even competes in some target competition. I've never shot a real gun and I don't want any parts of it.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What states prohibit carrying pepper spray?

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

No, but I have a siren/alarm  thing that a male friend gave me.  It's on a chain and all you have to do is "pull the plug" and the thing screaches loudly.   

A year or so ago, our management and local precinct offered a self-defense class.   Lots of useful advice.  

BUT -  best advice is to be alert. 

---------------------------------------------

This (bolded by me) is what I've always said.   When I leave the grocery store (or wherever I am - I don't go many places anymore) I appraise myself of anybody around the area.  As I walk to my car I look all around me to make sure nobody is creeping around.  If I were to see anybody I would probably go back into the store as quickly as possible but this has yet to happen.   

As soon as I get into my car I lock the doors.  My car does automatically lock them but not until I've started the car and gotten up to, IIRC, 15mph.  So I take the initiative to lock them as soon as I get in.

I don't care if somebody here (won't be surprising) wants to call me, or people like me, paranoid.   That says more about them than it does about me.  I just know to be careful, particularly because I've come to a point where I could not physically defend myself due to old injuries, arthritis, asthma, etc.