Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU CARRY PEPPER SPRAY?

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, my DH bought me a gun to carry and I was registered to carry a concealed weapon.  I didn't feel comfortable carrying it because I was afraid I would set my handbag down somewhere and my kids or somone else's would get into it.

I carried mace too. One year, a long time ago at Christmas time, there was a young man in the store's parking lot who was stalking me.  When he got close, I held up the canister like I was ready to spray him and he raised his arms up, laughed and ran.  I never used it otherwise.

Today, I carry nothing.  I do have a can of mace in my car.  I never put myself in scary situations.  I stay at home mostly,   and if I go out, I park in a handicapped spot in front of  the door.  I will wait until others leave and walk out with them, etc.

I do not carry a handbag when I go out alone and I do not dress up really nice or look like I have money. I wear my diamond rings backward so they look like plain bands.

When I am with my DH, I never worry.  He is always armed and he is an accurate shot. He is legal to carry in all 50 states.

Stun devices are illegal in carry in my state of PA.

Trusted Contributor

Interesting comments. I have never had pepper spray or anything like that.

I don't go out at night anymore, but I am aware of getting older, and at times have been concerned

about purse snatching. I now use only crossbody.

Both of our sons, in completely different locations (and states), went to sporting goods stores a few months ago.

Both had the same story:  people in long lines to purchase guns.  All kinds of people:  young adults to old, men and women, all races...our younger son said it is wise to assume that everyone out there might be "packing".

We live in a home with a fence around it and an iron gate across the driveway.  We have motion lights.  But our better watch dog passed away three weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@hckynut   Of course if I had a gun I would carry that instead of the Pepper Spray.  And considering the threats I am getting from my ex son-in-law perhaps it's time for me to get a gun, I do know how to use them.Woman Wink

If he's the ex SIL then he is out of the house and you don't have to see him?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma  Depends on your needs.

I have the Sabre Red Pepper Gel (larger size than the mace key chain size) as it's police strength, you can stand farther away and it's always "on".  I use this when walking to and from my car anywhere (work, mall, etc) at night and when on a walk/hike alone.

I also have the Fox Labs Mean Green Pepper Spray which hooks onto my key chain. This is the size most of us carry with our keys, is a pepper spray but leaves a neon green color to the person you spray. It does NOT wash off easily. This is great because, like the dye used in exploding money pack alarms, you can tell the police (or anyone) to look for someone who has this color on his/her hair, skin, clothes, etc. 

I wish Sabre would add this feature to their Pepper Gel Spray and make it in a smaller size (key chain). Best of both worlds.

Edited to add: when I am driving at night for a distance (moving, for example), driving long distance anywhere, staying in a hotel alone, etc.,  I have a concealed weapon with me. Yes, I have a license to carry it. Last resort, absolutely, and hope it never sees the light of day.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I believe I have a couple of different things of this that were purchased for me.   However, I've not yet carried it because I feel like I need to learn more - well, learn SOMETHING - before I carry it.   Then, as I do these days, I forget about it until it comes to mind again.

I also have this alarm thing that he bought for me.  It's a bulbous looking thing that has a keychain connector.  It has a pin in one end of it, kind of like a hand grenade type deal.  I guess you pull it out and a big ol' alarm goes off.   As you can see, I have yet to try it because I have a huge aversion to sudden, very loud, sounds due to my tinnitis.   But it is on my keychain so at least I'm making the effort.  I would have no problem pulling the pin if I felt in danger.

I really do feel the need to learn about  the pepper spray so that I can keep it or at least put one of them in my car.  I've just been so overwhelmed with other stuff lately that it's been back-burnered.

Whatever one needs to feel safe.  As others here have expressed, everybody doesn't have the physical strength to fight.  Now that I'm older I totally don't.  I feel I need to own that and look beyond my physicality to feel safe.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I used to, when I was dating. I felt more secure with pepper spray because I was less likely to hesitate to spray someone, since it wouldn't be fatal. And if it were turned on me, it wouldn't be fatal to me either. Any accident would be a temporary inconvenience and maybe a trip to urgent care, as opposed to the morgue. Just safer and more useful all around.

I never had any reason to use it or even threaten anyone with it, thank God. Most of us live pretty safe lives.

I think the Birdie alarm is a great idea as well.

Also keep in mind that if a bad guy says he wants your purse, throw it away from you and run (as best you can) in the opposite direction.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

No, I never have, and I never would, because they give one a false sense of security.

All the perp would have to do is wrestle it away from you, and use it against you. Also, better hope that you are up wind if you do use it, otherwise, the wind can blow the spray right back in to your face.

No, the best thing is to know self defense. Everyone can learn self defense. Even a 95 year old who weighs less than 100 pounds can learn self defense.

Your BEST weapons are your hands, elbows, knees, feet, and most importantly, your voice. Know where and how to strike the attacker.

Those are weapons that can't be taken away from you and used against you.

Mace, pepper spray, stun gun can be.

Don't fool yourself in to thinking that they can't be, because they can.

All due respect and I applaud that you've taken valuable self defense lessons. But going around thinking you can protect yourself from attackers with hand to hand combat is an example of a false sense of security.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have one of those portable alarms.  Pull apart via a  string, and the alarm goes off. 

It might come in handy for warding off mountain lions, dogs, etc.??  I really don't know.  Could work in reverse and agitate the preditor.

I would carry a spray, but I'd probably point it toward myself.  

I'm wondering if a dog repellent spray would work on people, too.?  The type the post people carry with them. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I do when I walk.  My biggest fear is homeowners that do not keep their dogs tied up.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Many years ago I ordered Pepper Spray from an ad I saw, two for x amount of dollars, don't remember how much.  Thankfully I never had to use them but just knowing I had one in my handbag was comforting.

Because they are very old I decided to order new ones and have to determine which I prefer, Gel Pepper Spray or Liquid Pepper Spray.  The Gel looks very interesting and my question to everyone who carries the spray is, which would you prefer, the Gel or the Liquid?

@Lindsays Grandma 

It can be very dangerous to carry pepper spray and not know exactly HOW to use it.   

Women have had it taken from them and used on them because they didn't bother to learn the circumstances, skills,  etc for protecting themselves.   Obviously not as bad as carrying a gun and not knowing how to use it, but you get the idea. 

I once worked with a woman who had her own pepper spray used on her, so that's why I bring this up here.