Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago I ordered Pepper Spray from an ad I saw, two for x amount of dollars, don't remember how much.  Thankfully I never had to use them but just knowing I had one in my handbag was comforting.

Because they are very old I decided to order new ones and have to determine which I prefer, Gel Pepper Spray or Liquid Pepper Spray.  The Gel looks very interesting and my question to everyone who carries the spray is, which would you prefer, the Gel or the Liquid?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU CARRY PEPPER SPRAY?

i dont carry pepper spray, but maybe i should?

i DO carry a birdie personal alarm. i also gave some as christmas gifts.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I carry Mace or Takedown in gel. Takedown is some nasty stuff so highly recommend if available in your state.

Please take a training class if you're a novice. 

It's only meant to give you time to get away. Nothing more.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  Please tell me what a Birdie Personal Alarm is, I have never heard of it.  The thing I like about Pepper Spray is that it renders the perpetrator useless while giving one time to get to safety.  According to what I read about the Gel Spray is that not only does it stop them in their tracks, it causes great discomfort at the same time.  

Whether or not you should carry Pepper Spray , is of course a persoanl preference.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Many years ago I ordered Pepper Spray from an ad I saw, two for x amount of dollars, don't remember how much.  Thankfully I never had to use them but just knowing I had one in my handbag was comforting.

Because they are very old I decided to order new ones and have to determine which I prefer, Gel Pepper Spray or Liquid Pepper Spray.  The Gel looks very interesting and my question to everyone who carries the spray is, which would you prefer, the Gel or the Liquid?

I carry pepper spray and a body alarm and when I walk I carry a Stun Gun.  I was attacked a few years ago and those items saved my life.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I carry Mace or Takedown in gel. Takedown is some nasty stuff so highly recommend if available in your state.

Please take a training class if you're a novice. 

It's only meant to give you time to get away. Nothing more.

@Snowpuppy    If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Gel Spray also has mace in it.  In any event, what you have is an excellent deterrent.  I hope you will never have to use it. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe   I am so sorry you were ever put in the position to have to fight for your life.  At the same time I am thrilled that you prepared yourself should you ever be attacked.  God Bless you BalletBabe, that had to have been a horrible experience.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Mace and Takedown are brand names. The % of actual compounds can vary and some states limit what you can legally own.

Gel formulas are sticky and tough to wash off. It also has a glow to it that is visible on the skin and clothing where sprays are runny.

Honored Contributor

I take my dogs for walks on my mobility scooter.  I have pepper spray I keep in the basket.  We have strick laws against loose dogs but you never know when one will jump a fence and wander the streets.  I've got a little yapper that would challenge a mastiff so I carry the spray to protect us all. I've never used it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

birdie personal alarm.png

Birdie––a modern, personal safety alarm––to help deter an attack. If threatened, activate Birdie's siren and flashing light to create a diversion.

This personal safety device is designed with a deafening 130dB siren (about as loud as a jet engine roaring at about 100 feet) and a strobe light. Birdie is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and can easily be attached to your belt loop, wristlet, shirt loop, or purse. The alarm’s siren can sound for about 40 minutes on new batteries, allowing time for someone to notice that something is wrong and help is needed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein