Super Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@PreKteacher wrote:

To those of you who think we should stay locked down, all I have to say is that staying home is an elite privelege. I'm glad you can afford it. Some people need the income from their small businesses, and if you think they should stay closed because you are tired of staying home and avoiding a virus, who is selfish? 

If they're in the entertainment industry, there's no entertainment without an audience. Lack of safety measures and the existence of disease clusters and hotspots, and the lack of trust in the local authorities, chases away a large number of the audience. The value proposition isn't there for the audience. Therefore the audience isn't there to pay for the tickets. Then there's no money to put on a show. Show closes. Elementary.

If they're in the hospitality industry, there's no hospitality without guests. They are providing as service. And if circumstances mean no one wants the service. Or if a lot fewer people want the service, there will be no money and no jobs in that industry. It will collapse. Elementary.

If they're in the travel industry, and other countries won't let us in because we carry diseases, there's no travel. See where this is going. Elementary. Everyone predicted this when we all said we needed to ****** Covid in the bud immediately. And now we get to experience all the consequences from our actions.

If lockdowns work, why is the virus spiking in European countries that imposed strict lockdowns? Have you seen the case numbers in Spain recently? or France? And in our own country, there's not much of a correlation between strick lockdowns and successful control of the virus. 

We're not going to have a shortage of audiences for entertainment, guests for hospitality, or domestic travelers as long as things stay open because most people do not get very sick from this coronavirus. There is only going to be a shortage of people to support these businesses if people can't afford to go because closures cost them their jobs. That's why most of the Disney layoffs are happening in California, not Florida. 

Super Contributor

@Itsokitsok wrote:

Masks and social distancing as they say are working just fine. My business is thriving with people wearing masks. Simply put - just use common sense- if you have underlying conditions- don't go out and about. Businesses now deliver contactless. Don't shut the country down. 

This! Mask on and carry on, if you're in a low-risk category. Everyone else should continue to stay home. I am happy to buy groceries and run errands for neighbors who can't take the risk of going out. Don't throw the whole economy away. Poor economies lead to poor health care. And speaking of health, another thing we can do is take better care of our health. With our rate of obesity in this country, it's amazing we don't have the worst rate of death from COVID. Why doesn't the media ever have a story on how we could improve our chances of avoiding hospitalization if we would just lose some weight and get our insulin levels under control? (Preaching to myself, here, too, as I've had to take a long hard look at my dietary choices during this pandemic.) 

Honored Contributor

Lockdowns definitely work. But what doesn't work is when the lockdown is over and people ignore the simple precautions.

Either they don't believe it's necessary, they live in a state that doesn't strongly signal that they should, or they want their so-called freedom.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

@Itsokitsok wrote:

Masks and social distancing as they say are working just fine. My business is thriving with people wearing masks. Simply put - just use common sense- if you have underlying conditions- don't go out and about. Businesses now deliver contactless. Don't shut the country down. 

This! Mask on and carry on, if you're in a low-risk category. Everyone else should continue to stay home. I am happy to buy groceries and run errands for neighbors who can't take the risk of going out. Don't throw the whole economy away. Poor economies lead to poor health care. And speaking of health, another thing we can do is take better care of our health. With our rate of obesity in this country, it's amazing we don't have the worst rate of death from COVID. Why doesn't the media ever have a story on how we could improve our chances of avoiding hospitalization if we would just lose some weight and get our insulin levels under control? (Preaching to myself, here, too, as I've had to take a long hard look at my dietary choices during this pandemic.) 

@PreKteacher 

Maintaining optimum health is definitely a good thing, but we're dealing with a contagious, deadly virus here.  People in good health and at an ideal weight have died from it.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think the virus is ever going away. A vaccine, if developed, won't be 100%, so what are we to do? Wear masks and social distant for the rest of our lives? Tank the economy by locking down forever? 

I have no answers. This whole situation is just overwhelming at times. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: DISNEY LAYOFFS

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I don't think the virus is ever going away. A vaccine, if developed, won't be 100%, so what are we to do? Wear masks and social distant for the rest of our lives? Tank the economy by locking down forever? 

I have no answers. This whole situation is just overwhelming at times. 

Of course it will go away. The people who take precautions will inevitably outnumber those who don't. Those who expose themselves to Covid and fall ill repeatedly will either die or get debilitating complications that will keep them away from everyone else. They will also impoverish themselves with medical debt, having lost their insurance coverage, making them even more vulnerable.

The superspreaders will gradually be overwhelmed and be limited to reinfecting each other while the science followers protect themselves and stay healthy. Very much a haves and havenots situation. The vulnerable elderly, ill, and frontline workers have already been offered up as a sacrifice. No one cares what happens to them and their needs have not even been considered.

But in the meantime our country will be isolated from the rest of the world because they don't want to pollute all the hard work they've done fighting Covid by letting diseased Americans in.

That's a description of the fatalistic, despairing, hard way where a significant portion of people continue to refuse to take precautions and insist on their right to put others at risk just because they feel like it. And the virus still loses. It just takes a long time and millions dead.

I don't think that is America's destiny. That's just where we are headed right now. I think we will pull it together eventually and the fatalists will not have their way and we will join the rest of the world in taking care of beating and getting rid of this virus.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

Do you ever get tired of lecturing people???  I don't post much on here but everytime I read the community chat forum I see the same handful of posters constantly chastising anyone who thinks differently regarding Covid recovery!  Stay home, stay safe if you must....leave the rest of us alone to live our lives!  Your arrogant & condenscending posts are so tedious!

Honored Contributor
This morning it was reported that Paris and some cities in Spain are having to close back down again due to large spikes in COVID cases.
Respected Contributor

@PJinIA wrote:

Do you ever get tired of lecturing people???  I don't post much on here but everytime I read the community chat forum I see the same handful of posters constantly chastising anyone who thinks differently regarding Covid recovery!  Stay home, stay safe if you must....leave the rest of us alone to live our lives!  Your arrogant & condenscending posts are so tedious!

No apparently some don't get tired of it. I agree with your comment completely. 

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@PreKteacher wrote:

@Itsokitsok wrote:

@PreKteacher 

Maintaining optimum health is definitely a good thing, but we're dealing with a contagious, deadly virus here.  People in good health and at an ideal weight have died from it.

It's a fact, not my opinion, that obesity and diabetes raise your risk of complications from COVID19. Ask any medical professional.