Honored Contributor

No problems with mine. Wonder if it's a regional thing?

Respected Contributor

I have had Directv for close to 25 years at my house in NJ......No one had even heard of it when we first started.

I have had two negative experiences......

1) In the very beginning a salesman got VERY aggressive 

2) About 15 years ago, the box started smoking and burning

Both incidences were handled quickly and satisfactorily and no other problems of any kind.

BTW---I forget to do this but if you call them once a year, or so, and tell them that you want some sort of deal as a loyal customer of "x" number of years, they will reward you. My DH did it about 6-7 years ago and they gave us a $10/month credit for a year.

Trusted Contributor

It must be regional, because I've never had this problem.  In the handful of times I've had to call DirectTV in the past 10 years, they've always been prompt and helpful with solving any issues.  My previous 2 cable companies, Comcast and Time Warner, were a nightmare.

Trusted Contributor

The only real problem we had with them was all of our trees getting in the way, but now that's not an issue.  We're running back to them as fast as we can, and I'll never consider Comcast again in my lifetime.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

Ever since they were bought out by AT&T the service has gone downhill.  I too am having major problems with their new system and plan on going to another company as soon as my contract is over.

Too bad because they used to be a great company.

Honored Contributor

I am in southern WV, and have enjoyed DirecTV service since the late 90’s- - -never had a major issue with anything.   This is one of the few companies we deal with that seems to value us as long time customers.   

We are too rural for cable service, and Dish has more than proven their unreliable service in this area of the state.    

Respected Contributor

As soon as they changed the guide, my recordings worked half the time too. I had to delete some old shows that were cancelled and got rid of other shows I don't watch too often. Then redid the shows that got dropped. So far so good now. Got my fingers crossed!

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I unplugged them last November and have lived happily ever after.

I did in February!!

Two families in my neighborhood have told me that they returned to the local cable provider after being dissatisfied with Direct TV.

Honored Contributor

I have never had direct t.v.. but I think this is the year of problems with t.v. Broadcasting systems.

Verizon has been bad in our area for several weeks. Calls coming in (I still have land line) and it goes immediately to the auto pick up telling people we are away leave message. T.V. Shows are being recorded but when you try to watch the show it will not play back. There are other issues too, to many to count right now.

sure can feel your thought of what is going on with direct t.v.. you get so frustrated

sure hope all gets back into correct shape.

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL

Sounds to me like DirecTV is using it's customers as Beta Testers, that are not only, not being paid, but paying them to do this testing for them. 

Typically Dish Network makes software updates that end up being problematic, but they have never told me "they no longer report the problems". Sounds like their IT Department is in need of higher grade individuals to make sure what they put out to their "paying customers" is not a Beta Form Software Update.

I have had similar, but different types of issues when Dish first introduced their Hopper 3. It was a pain in the *** for customers, I think moreso for video/audiophiles like myself. When I had issues, Dish would reduce my bill for as long as this issue was present, and that was at least some consultation.

Technology in this era of times is changing so quickly that even those trained in the inner workings cannot keep up with it for many different reasons. I am sure you were/are unhappy with how they changed(so call updates) the methods of doing things, and you have probably millions of others that are feeling exactly the same.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)