Respected Contributor

Re: DID YOUR EYE DOCTOR TELL YOU THIS?

[ Edited ]

With respect, MD's &/or Optometrists, don't spend much time, if any on nutrition or in my experience patient education.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Number 5 cracked me up.  We are supposed to stop taking advice from the Internet but taking advice from a magazine is okay?  LOL 

A lot of people take advice from the internet, magazines, etc etc.  It's stupid to do when 99% of it is bogus anyway.  I'll bet the dr was using the internet as an example.  

There is a lot of very good advice on the internet.  You just have to know where to look.

Trusted Contributor

I believe most of us realize that eating carrots is an old wives tale anyway.  What is interesting is how this came about though.

Respected Contributor

My eye doctor always gives the same advice every year.

Always wear sunglasses, avoid second hand smoke, take Lutein and eat green, leafy vegetables -  especially Kale.

Outside of lettuce, I'm not big on eating green, leafy vegetables. I decided to try Kale; it looked innocent enough, it was green and looked OK.....how bad could it be?

Took one bite and almost spit it out. YUCK! It was horrible.

The next time I went to the eye doctor and told hiim that I tried Kale and hated it he said, "well I never said it tasted good."  

Honored Contributor

I use Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Eye Support hoping to keep healthy eyes.

Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

Always wear sunglasses, avoid second hand smoke, take Lutein and eat green, leafy vegetables -  especially Kale.

Outside of lettuce, I'm not big on eating green, leafy vegetables. I decided to try Kale; it looked innocent enough, it was green and looked OK.....how bad could it be?

The next time I went to the eye doctor and told hiim that I tried Kale and hated it he said, "well I never said it tasted good."  

@lmt   Kale is good in soups, and sauteed with bacon, onions, garlic, to give it flavor, and very good as chips.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lmt wrote:

@lmt   Kale is good in soups, and sauteed with bacon, onions, garlic, to give it flavor, and very good as chips.

@mousiegirl  I'll have to take your word for it. My philosophy is - if you have to doctor food to have it taste good, forget it!  LOL!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy lens cloths at Costco....they come in a box of 150. DH is a fanatic about keeping his glasses clean...he uses a new cloth every morning. Captain Kangaroo was my favorite show when I was a kid.... Bunny Rabbit was my favorite character...he wore little eyeglasses....and he always ate carrots....so we knew even back then the writers of that show had a sense of humor.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Number 5 cracked me up.  We are supposed to stop taking advice from the Internet but taking advice from a magazine is okay?  LOL 

A lot of people take advice from the internet, magazines, etc etc.  It's stupid to do when 99% of it is bogus anyway.  I'll bet the dr was using the internet as an example.  

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

There were numerous names of eye doctor's included in the article, it wasn't written by one doctor.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  It's like all these diets...depends on who you read as to what's good or not good for you. I remember my Dad telling my brother at the dinner table that carrots would  grow hair on  your chest and thinking, if that's the case, I don't want to eat carrots!!!!   

@jubilant   Woman LOLSmiley LOLWoman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam