Honored Contributor

Re: DID THIS JURY GET IT RIGHT?

[ Edited ]

@sheilababe wrote:

I think the dollar amount is crazy. I love our dogs but I would never even think about getting this amount from the taxpayers.  If the cop was wrong then he should be dealt with.  The taxpayers should not have to pay out millions for someone else's wrongdoing.

@sheilababe

We pay out for mistakes like that all the time.  That's kind of the point, suing forces others to change their behavior. 

Put cameras on officers that will show what really happened.

I have no idea why non-aggressive dogs are shot, but it happens often and in front of children at times.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have enough information to know if the jury got it right but when I was living in SoFl there had been a rash of shootings of family dogs by LE under unwarranted circumstances.  Some of the dogs were confined yet still killed because the officer "feared for his life" simply because the dogs were barking at them..

One night several officers were going through yards looking for a suspect and I told the two that were going into my back yard that if anything happened to my dog the wrath of God would look like a walk in the park.  The dog was not in the yard but under past circumstances they earned a warning from me.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Frequent Contributor

I bet the family is laughing all the way to the bank. Over $1,000,000 for a dog. They won the lottery. And it's tax free. The verdict is ridiculous. The jury would not have awarded as much if a child had been shot and killed. I doubt this will stand on appeal, and the people in that county and state should be outraged.
Honored Contributor

@Dash wrote:
I bet the family is laughing all the way to the bank. Over $1,000,000 for a dog. They won the lottery. And it's tax free. The verdict is ridiculous. The jury would not have awarded as much if a child had been shot and killed. I doubt this will stand on appeal, and the people in that county and state should be outraged.

Have you ever had a dog?

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I love dogs, but that's not the,point.  $1 million is an outrageous verdict. Rarely are such sizable verdicts awarded for the death of humans, unless the human is, supporting a family, the breadwinner.  It's sad that a dog died, but a dog is personal property, same as your tv or car, nothing more, as a matter of law.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Dash wrote:

Yes, I love dogs, but that's not the,point.  $1 million is an outrageous verdict. Rarely are such sizable verdicts awarded for the death of humans, unless the human is, supporting a family, the breadwinner.  It's sad that a dog died, but a dog is personal property, same as your tv or car, nothing more, as a matter of law.  

I'm happy that you love dogs but please love them from a distance.

Awards such as this are meant to send a message that a particular behavior is not acceptable and hopefully will prevent another incident such as this.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Dash wrote:

@Dash yes this verdict/award has been called "unprecedented."  Largest for this type in American history.

*Call Tyrone*
Frequent Contributor

It's unfortunate you can't discuss a legal issue without getting overly emotional and personally hateful.  

Honored Contributor

@Dash wrote:

The law needs to change, that's the point.  In reality, a dog is not the same as a TV .

Honored Contributor

@Dash wrote:

It's unfortunate you can't discuss a legal issue without getting overly emotional and personally hateful.  

Huh?  I haven't seen anyone get emotional or hateful.   There is no need to be insulting.