Esteemed Contributor

Re: DID THIS JURY GET IT RIGHT?

They should have been awarded MORE money and the officer should do some time in prison. Really. I don't think we should treat animals any different from humans. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

They should have been awarded MORE money and the officer should do some time in prison. Really. I don't think we should treat animals any different from humans. 

@Goldengate8361  I agree with this statement but I disagree about the $$ award.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I hope I never run into your car on the road.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Dash wrote:
I bet the family is laughing all the way to the bank. Over $1,000,000 for a dog. They won the lottery. And it's tax free. The verdict is ridiculous. The jury would not have awarded as much if a child had been shot and killed. I doubt this will stand on appeal, and the people in that county and state should be outraged.

The people in that county and state should be outraged that the police are not trained on how to deal with animals!!  Even mail carriers have pepper spray and dog treats to deal with dogs.  Can't imagine anyone laughing when their dog was needlessly shot!!  It's not about the money and that should be a lesson learned the hard way to train police properly how to deal with such situations.  The officer in this case obviously didn't even use common sense!!  When any law enforcement person sees a dog in someone's yard (no matter what the reason is for him/her needing access to the yard) they should either go to the door to have the owners call the dog or if it were true aggression use pepper spray to subdue the dog or even better yet don't act aggressively themselves and give the dog a small biscuit that they should carry.  The local cops in my area all have some bisccuits with them at all times.  The cop was investigating a burglary and it wasn't a life or death situation!  If he was looking for the suspect then odds are suspect would not be in that yard with the dog so he should not have entered the property. 

Then perhaps all the posters who complain about dogs running up to them or barking through fenced should just carry some biscuits to solve the problem.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

SERIOUSLY? The officer had dog prints on her so the dog was actually in contact with her body. It was a large dog - it was snarling and growling - really, what do you think she should do? Please - tell me what her alternative was. DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They don't speak or understand english. You can't just tell them to stop.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

To think of a living being only as someone's "personal property" disgusts and saddens me. 

Unfortunately a pet, under the law, is considered personal property, not a being with "legal rights". Not saying I agree, just stating the law.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

SERIOUSLY? The officer had dog prints on her so the dog was actually in contact with her body. It was a large dog - it was snarling and growling - really, what do you think she should do? Please - tell me what her alternative was. DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They don't speak or understand english. You can't just tell them to stop.

From what I've read the dog was in his yard so what was this officer doing on private property? Did she have a search warrant? It couldn't have been in pursuit of the burglar since had he entered the yard the dog would have gone after him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

From what I've read the dog was in his yard so what was this officer doing on private property? Did she have a search warrant? It couldn't have been in pursuit of the burglar since had he entered the yard the dog would have gone after him. 

Did tbe officer actually see the dog before going on to the property searching for a suspect?  If not how would she know the suspect was not there?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Oh great .... the owner was serving in Afganistan when his dog was killed!   yikes.

There are two important considerations here that I don't see mentioned .....

First, did this cop have a history of killing other dogs?  

Second, how many other dogs have been needlessly killed by all the law enforcement officers in this jurisdiction?   If this was an ongoing problem for this police force,  indicating a lack of training of proper procedure, I can see why the jury decided enough was enough.

This is just speculation on my part .....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I have often been confronted with a dog leaving their yard a few feet barking and even growling when I'm walknig by.  I always say something nice to the dog like hi there aren't you a cutie then try a command and every one responds to the sit or stay command.  I always try that first (and it has worked every time as most dogs - especially larger - ones are trained in the basic commands) and if that didn't work then I would have given treats but I also carry pepper spray if needed.  You can tell by a dog's demeanor whether the barking and even growling is agressive and I would think the officer displayed no reassuring behavior upon seeing the dog and probably was carrying one of those long flashlights that looked threatening to the dog.  Also the dog may have jumped on the officer in a friendly way and the officer who was a rookie and probably a bit frightened anyway  overreacted by roughly pushing the dog and caused the dog to think officer was the one wanting to cause harm!!   Had the officer said an effort was made to talk to the dog and given commands the dog ignored that might be different.