Esteemed Contributor

DH's former co-workers, wow.

Last week we got 2 sympathy cards from DH's former co-workers. He retired 8 yrs. ago.  One card was from one guy and his family, the other was signed by 10 or 12 people he worked with. 

Today I went to the Post Office and our post master mentioned the cards. It seems the one man drove to our PO to make sure the cards got to us. He was not sure of the address and so he brought to insure their delivery.  He drove 30 miles to do that.  

I thought that was a wonderful thing to do. There have been many threads here about awful co-workers, I thought a story about good ones would be nice.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DH's former co-workers, wow.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   What a lovely thing for them to do!! We tend to hear about the negative more than the positive.There are many thoughtful caring people .

Thanks for sharing!!

Honored Contributor

Your post made me think of an experience I had at my late father’s bank. When I went there to close his accounts, a teller who dealt with him often told me what a fine gentleman he was, and she started to cry. It was unexpected and lovely, and it reminded me that we never know how we effect others even in the smallest way. It’s nice to know that your late husband’s former co- workers respected him, and wanted to reach out. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2How lovely and what kindness.  He was very lucky to work with such wonderful people.  You must have felt so good to have received the cards.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  For ex co-workers to take the time and effort to reach out to you eight years after he retired, that speaks volumes of what a fine person your DH was and the lasting impression that he had at his workplace. 

Some people that I have worked with don't even acknowlege someone or send a card to the family when they are gone.  Not all, but many.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Just reading your post instantly told me that your husband was dearly loved.

There is no greater testament to your life than to know that even after many years, you made such as good impression on people that they didn't forget you.

Your DH lived his life well in the best way possible.  You were truly blessed to be married to a wonderful man.  I can tell you're pretty wonderful yourself.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2    I suspect the effort expended to ensure you received their card is proportional to the fondness they held for you and your husband.  Holding him in such high regard also speaks to the fine character he must have had.

I think of you often.  My footsteps along this path are just slightly ahead of yours, so I know it's certainly not a pleasant new normal.  Take care of yourself, and let others help you do that.   Sometimes those who love us need to feel helpful, useful in such difficult times.         --- Mrs. G. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  and @Carmie    I didn't mean to copy your sentiments.  I had not seen them before clicking "Post," but I hope the repetitiveness of our comments reinforces the truth about the co-workers' affection for him and his deserving of it. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I think that is amazing. I also feel it speaks very highly of the way your dh treated others.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Lovely thoughts, lovely memories!