Respected Contributor

Re: DELTA BURKE

[ Edited ]

Image result for designing women

The cast of “Designing Women” at a 2006 reunion: from left, Dixie Carter, Jean Smart, Annie Potts and Delta Burke.

Image result for designing women

Actor Meshach Taylor, who was probably best known

for the role of Anthony Bouvier he played on the show

passed away in 2014 at the age of 67 from cancer.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

First of all I LOVED THAT SHOW,made me laugh so much,sure could use that now,she was a real beauty ,and nice ,loved gerald, hey we all age,either that or die.

@goldensrbest

I also thought it was hysterical, and am a bit surprised it didn't show up in syndication at some point.   All the others ...  Seinfield, Friends, etc etc .....   are still around somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

First of all I LOVED THAT SHOW,made me laugh so much,sure could use that now,she was a real beauty ,and nice ,loved gerald, hey we all age,either that or die.

@goldensrbest

I also thought it was hysterical, and am a bit surprised it didn't show up in syndication at some point.   All the others ...  Seinfield, Friends, etc etc .....   are still around somewhere.

I was waiting and waiting until it came out on DVD. Apparently they were having issues with the licensing rights to the music.  It finally did come out - at first just selected episodes, then the whole series (about 10 years ago), and my family gave it to me for Christmas! Once Delta left, the show wasn't the same for me. Sometimes it just seemed to get sillier and sillier - not at all how it started out. It "jumped the shark" when it brought it Jan Hooks as Carlene and Julia Duffy as Allison. By that time we no longer saw Bernice (the fantastic Alice Ghostley) , the husbands/boyfriends, Mary Jo's children, and Julia's son Payne. 

So much better in the beginning! 

And I blame Linda Bloodworth -Thomason for the way Delta was treated. 

Respected Contributor

She was sooo good on that show!  Also enjoyed her on that HBO series where she owned a sports team.

I did like a couple of episodes from the final season of "Designing Women." The one entitled "Carlene's Apartment" was a scream, right, Deep ??!!!

Trusted Contributor

Always loved her coloring, jet black hair and blue/green eyes with fair skin...my next life I’m coming back with that combination 😂

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This would be a great show to bring back for syndication! Wish they would do so! Had some great lines on that show......anybody remember the "Golden arches" quote? 

Julia: “Suzanne, if s** were fast food, there'd be an arch over your bed!”

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loved Delta. 

She had some cute things on QVC, then went to JC Penneys.  I have not seen anything of hers in ages.

Like most, I loved her character on Designing Women.

One of my favorite episodes was "Dash Goff, the Writer."  This was his what he said of them.

"DASH'S THANK YOU NOTE"

"Yesterday, in my mind's eye, I saw four women standing on a verandah

in white gauzy dresses and straw colored hats. They were having

a conversation, and it was hot --- their hankies tucked in cleavages where

eternal trickles of perspiration run from the female breast bone to exotic

vacation spots that Southern men often dream about. They were sweet

smelling, coy, cunning, voluptuous, voracious, delicious, pernicious, vexing

and sexing --- these earth sister rebel mothers, these arousers and carousers.

And I was filled with a longing to join them. But like a whim of Scarlett's, they

turned suddenly and went inside, shutting me out with the bolt of a latch. And I

was left only to pick up an abandoned handkerchief and savor the perfumed

shadows of these women. These Southern women. This Suzanne, this Julia,

this Mary-Jo and Charlene. Thanks for the comfort. "

---Dash Goff, the Writer

Honored Contributor

I always enjoyed her and thought she had a beautiful face. I saw her on one of those celebrity surgery gone wrong shows a few months ago...it was upsetting to see. I hope it was botox and not permanent.

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

Always loved her coloring, jet black hair and blue/green eyes with fair skin...my next life I’m coming back with that combination 😂

@Karie2022.  Her coloring always reminded me of Elizabeth Taylor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

Beautiful coloring!  Rena Sofer, who, many years ago, was Lois Cerullo, on General Hospital, is another stunning woman, with that coloring. 

Youth and youthful beauty are fleeting, but, there is beauty in every stage of life.