Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEER Wednesday 10/14/2020

I had 11 deer tonight, I was surprised they are usually in the farmers fields till November. I love the pic of the doe standing 🤣🤣🤣

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick  Are your deer white tailed deer? They look a bit different here in VA.  My does would rear and chase others away from their food and especially fawn's  food. 
  Our Club e-mailed the restrictions on feeding deer tonight. Sept 1 through the first week in Jan. it's illegal to feed deer. They are even wanting people to report those who are seen feeding them, there are large fines. 
   It's not fair to feed them other months and then stop, I feel sorry for them but am glad I haven't fed them in over a year. 
  Supply stores sell assorted items for hunters to bait them but it's illegal here for them to do it. Also, I'd want them to run from hunters.  Sad. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   That's why I can't feed birds, they drop seeds on the ground and deer come and eat from feeders  neighbors complain. If it's on the ground it's feeding deer. 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

I love that you taught them to sit up - 

next is roll over

🤣

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   That's why I can't feed birds, they drop seeds on the ground and deer come and eat from feeders  neighbors complain. If it's on the ground it's feeding deer. 

@1Snickers  For some reason the deer don't go to crazy for the birdseed. They'll stand on the hind legs at times to taste it but there are too many greens around that they like better. Hostas,any shrubs, tree leaves,etc. The neighbors all have the deer eating their greens also.

Esteemed Contributor

WOW WOW WOW to picture #2 .... I wouldn’t make that deer angry .... she’s certainly showing that she is the boss!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The deer most certainly are out and about here in Northern Virginia and have really been showing up in my typical, suburban neighborhood.  This is a vintage neighborhood  -- a bit over 50 years old.

About 6:00 p.m., I went out to get the late-arriving mail.  My neighbor across the street was busy working on her flowers that surround her mailbox and no one else was around.  My new next-door neighbors have been "missing" for well over a week, and so things have been quiet over at their place.  At the very end of the cul-de-sac, the family that lives in that house appears to be staying at one of their other homes.  They own about three.  However, the new tiny tots in a home across the street but down a bit from me had been out most of today, yelling and playing, and the neighbors to the right of my missing neighbors have been in and out today.

Now to the point:  When I went out at 6:00, a solitary deer was feeding from the front lawn of my missing new neighbors.  I yelled to my animal-loving neighbor (working on her flowers) across the street to check out the deer.  We yelled back and forth, discussing the deer and how they have been a problem for some folks in the neighborhood because they've eaten garden plants.  The deer next door continued eating as though we weren't there.  

After a bit, I went toward it and was talking to it (a good 40 ft. away from it, though), and it looked up at me and then continued munching on the grass or clover.  It was comfortable and not afraid.  Odd, I thought.

About three weeks ago, during the early evening, three deer were eating on the front lawn of the home at the end of the cul-de-sac.  

We have a woods that is protected by the county that surrounds our development, plus there is a beautiful county park nearby, so I am wondering what has happened to these sweet critters that they are now routinely coming to feed in a fairly active neighborhood.  It is not a noisy neighborhood, but Amazon and UPS, as well as residents, are up and down our street all day long.  There is no through traffic, of course, since it is a cul-de-sac.

I am feeling sorry for the wildlife.  I forgot to mention that every year a groundhog makes my backyard and the open space under my shed her home.  Has her babies and then, after they've matured a bit, trots off with them to raise them.  Probably not the same groundhog; she must spread the word.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:

Get away from my carrot!

20201014_140001.jpg

532149.gif

@Mz iMac @MamaWick  THAT is a great picture! Wow!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@MamaWickAh more great pictures of your beautiful herd! 

Love that doe standing nice and tall on her hind legs.  I just hear her saying, look at me!  I'm here to enjoy MamaWick and PapaWick's generous hospitality.

Woofs and hugs to Cricket!

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet