Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Wednesday 07/28/2021 part 2

The "girls" look like they're so at ease in you yard which is lovely to see.

Please give our lovely Cricket a little hug for me.  Have you been in touch with the vet recently?

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG Yes

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick wrote:

@KatieB and @Foxxee Cricket is definitely not behaving like she used to.  We have tried so many different foods/preparations.  She is on an anti-nausea med and an appetite stimulant which worked very well at first, then she went back to the not eating much.  She will eat a little bit of sliced turkey breast from the deli, but not much.  She likes braunschweiger but that is so full of iron that it isn't believed her frail 7 pound body can handle a lot of it.  

EDIT:  She does not seem to be in pain, and if she was, we would not let her suffer.

@MamaWick 

Can we assume your vet thoroughly tested Cricket, pancreas, liver, kidneys, heart, as well as the medical condition she has been diagnosed?

A 3-ounce serving of braunschweiger contains 29 grams of total fat, which is up to 40 percent of the recommended daily intake for humans.

Has Cricket been having diarrhea?

I'm a bit concerned about what she has been eating.  

Pancreatitis is quite common in small dogs that are fed fatty foods.  Just one serving can trigger it.  She could have eaten something in the past.  

For nausea, my 2 vets said only unsalted broth, chicken and rice only, then add vegetables.  

Deli turkey contains a lot of salt...definitely not good even for healthy dogs. 

How are her kidney function tests?  Kidney disease causes nausea from an imbalance of electrolytes. Kidney disease in dogs is almost always caused by heart disease.  

Also, may I add, dogs in pain sometimes don't show it because it makes them appear weak and vulnerable.  I had one that had a cancerous tumor far up in his nose.  I saw no symptoms until his nose began to bleed.  The following day, the vet said it was very advanced and untreatable.  

Apologies for sticking my nose in your affairs, it's none of my business, and I tried not to offer suggestions, but I have been through nausea caused by serious medical conditons in my dogs in the past.  They would not eat until I put food on their tongue.  

Just want to help.  

Continuing prayers for Cricket.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee  it's not the fat content that is worrisome, but the iron for her small body.  She does not and has not had diarrhea.   Also, she has no teeth (jaw bone loss) so all of her food is soft or pureed.  We have tried tempting her with different baby foods which she takes once, then turns up her nose the next time it is offered.

Do dogs know when their time is near?  It is almost like she is giving up.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh they are coming in!Heart

Continued prayers for that sweet Cricket and you. I know it must be worrisome to see her not eating.

Our vet told me dogs let you know with a look. I couldn't really see that happening but it did when he looked at me across the room and I saw a look I hadn't seen before. Straight thru to me. He was very brave but when I heard him whine one night, I knew he was also in pain.

It is really hard to tell when dogs are in pain because they don't always tell us. They may just get more quiet and sleep a lot more. I think they don't express their pain like we might.

Im sure you know your sweet girl the best though and will know the most loving thing to do.

I wonder if she might like 100% pumpkin? It helps with nausea and well just eating period.

Worth a try or mix it with her pureed food you make? It always helped our

cat when she stopped eating too but it sounds like you are doing everything you can for her.🙏💓

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

Hello?  Anyone home?  We just dropped by to say Hi!

Sweet, sweeties!  Is that Tracy getting ready to take a seat?

What a wonderful family you have.

Dear Mama, and Papa, I have offered tripe for failing appetites of older, and rescue dogs.  I know, not pleasant, but have seen success with it.

Sending good wishes on the winds to all the family. 💨 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   The deer look like they are holding a prayer vigil for sweet Cricket.   Everyone is hoping that she is feeling better.  It is good to read that she has eaten some.  

You asked if dogs know when it is their time. I believe that they do. They try their best to hide their problems from their loved ones. However, like humans, everything slows down.  Unfortunately, I know first hand.  

Woofs, kisses,and gentle hugs for sweet Cricket.  I know that you and PapaWick are doing your best for her.  It isn't easy, but keep on loving her as you have been.  We are all hoping that Cricket has many more happy years.  Virtual hugs to you all. 💕

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

I love how they look for the angel that feeds them and makes them safe. 

Trusted Contributor

I pray to St Francis every night for all animals everywhere, and I especially include sweet Cricket in that prayer!  Your deer friends are adorable, and since they are practically in your house already, I expect to see pics of them watching TV with you and your husband.  After all, its their house too!  Thanks for these beautiful photos Mamawick!

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@MamaWick 

Hello?  Anyone home?  We just dropped by to say Hi!

Sweet, sweeties!  Is that Tracy getting ready to take a seat?

What a wonderful family you have.

Dear Mama, and Papa, I have offered tripe for failing appetites of older, and rescue dogs.  I know, not pleasant, but have seen success with it.

Sending good wishes on the winds to all the family. 💨 

@MamaWick   I suggested Solid Gold Green Cow, which is tripe. It smells but dogs like it and it gives them energy.