Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

MY HEART SUNK seeing these pics MamaWick.

Wasting came to my mind too.

Please continue as you have been buying and feeding them quality foods.

Prayers for your herd.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   It seems we posted at the same time.  JMHO, please keep doing!   
I'm channeling your deer.  
Woofs to Cricket. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

You are certainly trying your very best to take care of these little ones.  I am ignorant about potential issues, but I certainly admire your love and concern for these beautiful creatures.  May you, and them, be blessed.

Honored Contributor

I also feel badly for the deer.  I noticed on other posts, that compared to our deer here in Indiana, they look quite thin.  I have never seen one with their ribs showing like that around here.  Of course I live in farmland USA so there is plenty of food for them right now.  I hope it's not in their water supply. It's sad to see our wildlife looking like this.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add that I read that it's possible for dogs to get CWD if exposed to deer feces.  I also read that they don't know if human's can get it or not. Maybe someone already posted this, I didn't read every one of the posts.  Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

They visit every day, but I do not feed them every day (sometimes not even every other day), so they really shouldn't be dependent on my house for food.  I have spoken with our county game wardens and I'm sorry to say, it doesn't seem they care.  Our area seems over populated with deer.   I guess I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.  

@MamaWick   I googled and found this, which is what I suspected.

"Deer that are fed by humans become dependent on the easy food source and stop foraging. Deer are much better at feeding themselves on their own. When you feed deer and then stop, or when the food temporarily runs out, they will go hungry and may become a nuisance as they search for more easy food."

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick  Hi - and hello to all my "deer" friends Smiley Happy

Mama, I know that you haven't gotten much guidance from local authorities but I wonder if they would aswer a simple question -

Do they advise feeding the wild deer (which they actually are although they appear to be pets) or not?

I know you well enough to know that you only want to help them survive and thrive.   I just wonder if they are depending solely on you and Papa for their food and they aren't eating enough?

I also wonder what would happen if you stopped feeding them?   

You have a good heart and bless you for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@minkbunny The game wardens don't advise feeding but they do say if you are going to, stay away from corn. We do realize they are wild and not pets, even though I name some of them.  Unfortunately their natural habitat and food sources are being lost due to the development going on here.  We don't feed them daily, and there are indeed some days they don't visit.

Hugs to you and the cowboy.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   And Hugs back to you and Papa Heart

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick Is the deer wasting disease prevalent in your area?  Mississippi has been trying to check randomly for this and keeping up with it to try and implement a solution to combat this horrible disease.