Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Saturday 09/25/2021

@RedTop    Your post won't be popular but you've nailed the situation in many places and Texas is not excluded.  It's a good thing we have hunting season or those deer would be starving. 

My sister lives near Valley Forge NP.  I've never seen so many deer as there were in that park.  At dusk there would be groups of 10-15 every direction you turned.  Big hazard to traffic and not enough grazing for them.

Finally a few years ago, they hired some sharpshooters, closed the park and one Saturday killed hundreds of them.  Now when you drive through, you don't see a single deer. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   That's three  handsome bucks in that first picture.  Yes, I am including PapaWick. 😃

The momma and baby are adorable.  Momma deer looks like she's either licking her lips or tasting the air for treats.  

Your SIL is one lucky gal to be able to make a connection with your herd. 

Woofs to sweet Cricket in heaven.  Cricket must be playing with her "herd" of loved ones.  💕

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

TRIGGER WARNING!

@RedTop I really wish you hadn't brought up the topic of violence towar the deer in this usually lovely thread. You have a right to write it. And I have a right to say I wish you hadn't. Harming deer does not need to be discussed here. This is a peaceful thread where no one is harmed.

I also think you should have given a trigger warning because mose people who frequent this thread are very gentle and sweet and would not want to read that stuff.

Trigger warning again for the statement below.

Spoiler
I think that if you want to discuss the horrific concept of killing females in the interest of population control you should start your own thread.
When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624@05gage25 

I agree and totally understand your posts.   

Most of WV is very rural; heavily forested, mountainous territory.  The state is suitably made for the many varieties of wildlife that are found here.  

But it's a very big problem to the 2 legged residents of the state when the four legged ones grow in such numbers they deplete their food sources in the woods, and start moving in closer to our neighborhoods to find tender grass, flowers, shrubs, and bird seed.  

As I've mentioned recently, we have watched a herd of 49 deer graze in our hayfield for the last month.   They are there because my brother cut the hay, but did not bale it this year.  Thanks to our heavy spring rains, the hay was extremely thick, and looked like a heavy blanket covering the field when brother was done.   Once the deer found that thick grass, they moved in and have eaten more than 90% of what was covering the ground!  Now that most of that hay is gone, so are about half of the deer, which I am happy about.   

2 weeks ago when I traveled I-77 North, I counted 7 deer, 4 does and 3 fawns on the side of the road that had been hit by cars.   This time of year you can't drive anywhere in this state without a deer encounter.  

Honored Contributor

All great pics @MamaWick. It looks like your sister in law is enjoying the deer. Super sweet pic of the doe and fawn. And of Papa and the deer of course lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What sweet shots!  Thank you!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Happy to see PapaWick and sister-in-law in the pictures!!!!  It looks like the deer enjoyed the company and of course their food and surroundings.  Delightful and pleasant photos as always, MamaWick!!!!

I was somewhat disturbed to see some posts about deer being hunted and killed because of their numbers.  We all know this happens and certainly are aware of the dangers deer face.  However, while everyone is entitled to their opinions and posts, this forum has always been upbeat and about the deer who gather at the Wick's home.  We enjoy the pictures and comment on the kindness of the Wick's and are thankful for their good deeds.  Reading about all the deer being killed for whatever reasons isn't the purpose of this post in my mind.  The purpose is to share pictures of gentle creatures who have a safe haven to go to and people who care for them.  Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

TRIGGER WARNING!

@RedTop I really wish you hadn't brought up the topic of violence towar the deer in this usually lovely thread. You have a right to write it. And I have a right to say I wish you hadn't. Harming deer does not need to be discussed here. This is a peaceful thread where no one is harmed.

I also think you should have given a trigger warning because mose people who frequent this thread are very gentle and sweet and would not want to read that stuff.

Trigger warning again for the statement below.

Spoiler
I think that if you want to discuss the horrific concept of killing females in the interest of population control you should start your own thread.

@Porcelain    Thank you for stating the obvious.  I certainly didn't want to read about deer being killed in @MamaWick's thread.  There were other posts along the same line in addition to the one you're referring to.  I just don't understand people.

Honored Contributor

I like the photo second to last with baby and a little bigger baby -- so cute.  It's rut time -- the beginning of rut.  if's interesting to see two bucks putting their antlers to the test (fighting each other).  I wonder if they ever get tangled up but anyway they do this to prove their manhood during rut.  I never knew a thing about rut or ever heard of it but now i am educating myself about deer thanks to @MamaWick 's pictures.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

The rut starts here around the first of December with fawns coming around mid-May to the end of June.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix